What do you do for a living?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nutrition Monitor, but only for 9 more months.

LouieB

I have to ask:

Are you familiar with the American Nutrition Association (formerly known as NOHA—Nutrition for Optimal Health Association)? My grandmother was the founder of that organization and I just went to the 40th anniversary party a couple of years ago to celebrate.

As to what I do:

I'm a catalog writer. I used to work at ad agencies, but I find this type of corporate work, while less creatively fulfilling and less fun, a whole lot more stable. And, with a family, that is what is important now.

Todd-

Not really.  My job is fairly bureaucratic, so I don't interface all that much with the actual nutrition field and I am not a trained nutritionist.  I visit schools and daycare centers to make sure that they are following the federal regs, which includes the types and amounts of food that is needed for the ages of children and the program involved. 

LouieB

Todd-

Not really.  My job is fairly bureaucratic, so I don't interface all that much with the actual nutrition field and I am not a trained nutritionist.  I visit schools and daycare centers to make sure that they are following the federal regs, which includes the types and amounts of food that is needed for the ages of children and the program involved. 

LouieB

Okay. That makes sense.

You confused me at first, because I THOUGHT that I remembered you saying that you did something in education. This clarification makes more sense.

I'm a picker
I'm a grinner
I'm a lover
And I'm a sinner
Playin' my music in the sun
I'm a joker
I'm a smoker
I'm a mid-night toker
I get my lovin' on the run

Todd-

LouieB

"Day Care"?

Don't say that around "Child Care" workers.

Actually most of the centers I go to call themselves day care, so it isn't a totally pejorative term.  But then again a lot of the store front centers I visit have pretty embarrassing names anyway.

LouieB

I have been teaching high school for 30 years. For the past 24, Advanced Placement Psychology and Economics & Financial Literacy at a Title 1 school (student population 75% free or reduced lunch). 

I teach as well. It is an affluent (but less so than 20 years ago when I started) suburb of Des Moines, Iowa. I teach 7th grade social studies. This year, my team of teachers is part of something called the New Tech Network which utilizes all project-based learning. I am now co-teaching a class we are calling Humanities that combines language arts and social studies. I am working harder than I have in my teaching career -- even harder than my first year. It has -- so far -- been very rewarding. It really is like learning a brand new job.

Ditto! (when I'm not dancing). I've been 'looping" the past 5-6 years. Have 4th graders again this year....

Cool.  It makes a huge difference to really get to know the kids and their families for more than one year.  We do multi-age, which I like, but I'd still rather loop if I was only doing a single grade.

I teach as well. It is an affluent (but less so than 20 years ago when I started) suburb of Des Moines, Iowa. I teach 7th grade social studies. This year, my team of teachers is part of something called the New Tech Network which utilizes all project-based learning. I am now co-teaching a class we are calling Humanities that combines language arts and social studies. I am working harder than I have in my teaching career -- even harder than my first year. It has -- so far -- been very rewarding. It really is like learning a brand new job.

This seems to be the way of things.  My school district adopted a curriculum also developed in NY called Expeditionary Learning (formerly packaged as "Engage NY").  It's also all about integrated units, and projects to some extent.  Our 4th and 5th graders started their first day of school with an introduction to the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.  Pretty crazy.  So far it seems great, but we'll see how it comes together after a year.

Cool.  It makes a huge difference to really get to know the kids and their families for more than one year.  We do multi-age, which I like, but I'd still rather loop if I was only doing a single grade.

This seems to be the way of things.  My school district adopted a curriculum also developed in NY called Expeditionary Learning (formerly packaged as "Engage NY").  It's also all about integrated units, and projects to some extent.  Our 4th and 5th graders started their first day of school with an introduction to the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.  Pretty crazy.  So far it seems great, but we'll see how it comes together after a year.

We started this curriculum this year in Denver. I'm doing the Poetry unit (with Love That Dog) with my students presently....

Much respect to those of you teaching middle and elementary school. I've never taught elementary but I taught middle for a year and a half. Definitely not my skill set. I ended up there due to unit loss after my first 2 years. I'll never forget how elated I was when I got a call at a Christmas party from my former principal: "Hello, Carter? This is Linwood". "Yes, sir?" "Art Shellman just died. You want his job?"  And that's how I got back into high school!

There are some teachers in my family. My oldest daughter teaches elementary gifted, her oldest daughter/our oldest granddaughter is in college to be a math teacher,  my wife is an R.N. and we teach at the same school (it has vocational certification programs, including medical), my sister is a math teacher in juvenile justice. My mom wanted to teach but couldn't afford college, so she gets vicarious satisfaction.

DS or DP?

Well it was DS for 20 years but they closed all the Colorado plants so I actually just started at a small diagnostic company 2 months ago. Very different. But my office is a 1 minute walk to Boulder beer so that was a nice feature.

How about you? DS or DP? You currently job hunting?