Jay Farrar has some things to say about Jeff Tweedy

New interview celebrating the upcoming reissue of Trace on its 20th anniversary.

Jay has several not nice things to say about Jeff. This one is especially ouchy:

I think it was an opportunity for me to put more focus on my songwriting. I experienced some hostility in Uncle Tupelo with regards to that, as well. There was a time the other songwriter walked up to me and said one sentence. He said “People like my songs more than yours,” and he walked away. So, you know, when I say it was a liberating time for me, creatively, that’s what I’m referring to.

Yeah, what do you do with that?

You leave. [Laughs] Because it was a sort of a toxic, uh, intimidation.

http://www.popmatters.com/feature/seeing-traces-with-jay-farrar/

My thoughts on this, is that he is probably right. I have seen plenty of things that could seem like Jeff Tweedy was an asshole... at one point in his life.

But the man has aged. He has fought addiction and recovery, having kids, and almost losing his wife. I think it's a safe bet that he is definitely not the same man that Jay knew, which brings me back to this.

This seems like a pointless rehash. I've had friends that were assholes in our younger days. I don't still think of them like that 20 years later. Yes the situation sucked for you, but it was also twenty years ago with someone you don't know anymore. I'm not saying get over it, but I am saying let it be and move on. 

It's pretty well-documented that Farrar did not like Jeff's growing influence over the band, so Jeff getting a bit snarky is pretty understandable. Having said that, it's also pretty well-documented that Jeff didn't appreciate Jay Bennett's growing influence in Wilco and sacked him.

My point? No one is blameless for what happened in UT and I think history makes it clear that the sum was no longer greater than the parts and it was probably a good thing for the both of them that UT ended.

It's been over 20 years now, Jay really needs to let it go. Every time he goes to the press and starts talking crap about Jeff he just comes across really bitter and jealous. It's all just a little sad. Especially when Jeff, if he talks about Jay, says positive things like: 

I haven't talked to Jay in a long time but I definitely still follow what he's up to and listen and enjoy what he does. via reddit.

In fairness to Jay, the interview was about the recording of Trace, which was over 20 years ago.  In revisiting that time, it would be weird *not* to talk about how the breakup of Uncle Tupelo affected him personally and professionally.

If anyone has a chance to see the current "Trace" tour, BTW, I highly recommend it. I saw the first show last night at the Birchmere and it was outstanding.  Love that pedal steel.

I hear what y'all are saying and I agree wit most all of it. One thing that always irks me, though, is how Jay peevishly refers to Jeff as "the other songwriter" or "the bass player" or whatever--studiously avoiding mentioning him by name. It's just so childish.

Well, reviewers, critics, fans and interviewers need to let it go too.  Everybody is tool at one time or another if you've been in a band.  When you are young and on fire creatively…not to mention getting attention of the opposite sex…things get tense.  

I wouldn't doubt that both of those guys were assholes, especially to each other, and especially in the autumn years of UT.  I don't imagine them having a very healthy relationship in the Anodyne days, but it doesn't have much effect on my appreciation of that album, or Trace, or the entire Wilco catalog.

I will say maybe Jay needed someone else to be relieved to be away from a few years later so he could keep up that quality song-writing.

Listening back to Anodyne today, it's weird that they were ever together.  I'm so used to Wilco and SV being separate entities.

BTW, to celebrate Trace Jay should get the old Son Volt back together!!

From Jeff's Twitter account:

Happy 20th Ann. to Son Volt’s “Trace”, a great record that stands the test of time. JT

What do we think...passive aggressive "high road" response to Jay's recent comments?

I think the sentiment on JT's part is sincere because I recall reading some interview with him that referenced the release of Trace and how it came out at about the same time as A.M and JT was struggling to keep it all together and build the band. Anyway, the comment was something about how they got an advanced copy of Trace and played it in the van and listened to it and then ``it was really quiet in the van after that.'' 

Maybe I'm being too easy on Jay, but I don't read that quote to mean he was dissing or dismissing Jeff.  I read it as a recognition of something that happened years ago- without dragging the names back out of the closet.

But at any rate, I've always felt that fans care about this far, far more than old UT band members.  A band split up, both sides had great careers and made great music.  What's not to like?

• 9 months later...

Been listening to the last Uncle Tupelo show in the car as I drive around Tampa blasting the AC. While some of Jeff's Anodyne songs seem to hint toward an effort at reconciliation (Long Cut) and others are about a variety of themes (Acuff Rose, New Madrid), Jay's all seem to be directed toward the ultimate breakup and his animosity toward his then-rival.

Can't find you know/I didn't know you then

Chickamauga's where I've been/Solitude is where I'm bound/I don't ever want to taste these tears again

No sign of reconciliation/It's a quarter past the end

Slings and arrows completes the score

No more will I see you

Man, talk about a drama queen. I don't think even Taylor Swift wrote that many songs addressing the same person on one album! No wonder Jeff (allegedly) called him a pussy. :lol

• 2 years later...