Politics 2016 (election edition)

"Damn, girl, that food stank!"

"It's good," says the ex. "It's Filipino."

"I like Chinese food, but that don't smell like no Chinese food I ever had."

"It's not Chinese, it's Filipino," repeats the ex.

"Girl, it's all Chinese food to me!"

"Damn, girl, that food stinks". "It's good," says the ex. I don't like Chinese food, but that doesn't smell like any Chinese food I ever had." "It's not Chinese, it's Filipino," repeats the ex. "Girl, it's all Chinese food to me!"

I'm not a "pro writer" but which was easier to read and quickly as possible? Discounting the vertical vs. horizontal organization, of course.

I honestly have not noticed racism toward me from non-white students. I'm certain some of them have biases re whites, but nothing overt. Also, I like to think that my students and I all grow as people due to being exposed to one another.

I don't look to Frank Zappa and his anecdotal evidence when deciding how to relate to others.

I'm not hyper-vigilant. It's easy to not offend, if you don't want to offend.

If "Leroy" wasn't his name, and/or you couldn't remember it, why choose Leroy?

Respectfully, it could be a worthwhile exercise thinking about those previously mentioned things. If having difficulty seeing it differently, research 'confirmation bias'.

With all due respect, I'd consider my version to be easier to read, as well as more accurate. The girl misused the word "stank." If she said, "I axed you a question," would you correct it to "asked?" Might seem condescending to some.

I do wonder why you have "pro writer" in quotation marks, though. That's what I am: a professional writer. It's my living. Were those like air quotes? I mean, I don't try to rewrite every VC post to perfection. It's quick and sloppy, of course.

Since you have the stated goal of trying not to offend, I am going to follow your very fine example and not take the bait on the remainder of the post...no desire to be hurtful here.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We should do a VC poll on which is easier and quicker to read. I'd wager it would be close to 50-50. Accuracy wasn't one of your original reasons for choosing dialect.

I am not trying to offend. I am trying to get you to reflect, knowing that doing so would likely offend. I doubted I'd have any success, but felt I needed to give it a shot.

I put "pro writer" in quotes because I didn't see how it was relevant to saying "stank", instead of "stinks". Writing skill has nothing to do with choosing to make sure we knew it was a black person speaking in dialect. Why? So we'd understand her intelligence was in question? Ever hear of "code switching"? I hear students engaging in it daily.

Feel free to "take the bait". I won't be offended.

As disrespectful as I may seem to you, that wasn't my intent.

I have no need to address our specific discussion further, no matter what comes next on my screen.

Good day.

Accuracy wasn't one of your original reasons for choosing dialect.

Accuracy was exactly my reason for choosing dialect. She said "stank," not "stinks." My ex spoke English as a 2nd language, so of course she was confused by the misuse of the word "stank" when it should have been "stinks." If I'd wanted to overstate the point, I would have used "dat" instead of "that."

I am not trying to offend. I am trying to get you to reflect, knowing that doing so would likely offend.

:rotfl How does that jibe with your stated goal of never hurting anyone's feelings? Ever consider a career in politics?

I have no need to address our specific discussion further.

Agreed. We should take this to PMs if you want to, er, get me to "reflect."

Good day.

https://youtu.be/M5QGkOGZubQ

Accuracy was exactly my reason for choosing dialect. She said "stank," not "stinks." My ex spoke English as a 2nd language, so of course she was confused by the misuse of the word "stank" when it should have been "stinks." If I'd wanted to overstate the point, I would have used "dat" instead of "that."

I lied. But in my defense, I wasn't anticipating the above and I'm not private messaging. I will try very hard to resist whatever future tempting slow-pitched softball you lob my way.

Mr. Heartbreak, on 30 Sept 2016 - 12:46 PM, said: "I made use of dialect for a specific purpose: I'm a pro writer and I wanted to make the post as easy to read as quickly as possible." No mention of accuracy, sir. If it was exactly your reason, why leave it unmentioned and mention 2 things that were not exactly your reason? Again, think about these things, it could be worthwhile.

Also, " I am not trying to offend. I am trying to get you to reflect, knowing that doing so would likely offend." jibes with my stated goal of to never hurt anyone's feelings, if I can avoid it, because this is a situation where to reach my desire to get you to reflect, I had to risk offending you. Obviously a simple means to greater end decision. Does that really warrant a  :rotfl  ? If so, then I hold my hands up and admit I look the fool.

My bad. I had multiple reasons for employing the dialect, and hadn't even really reflected on them. That's what I get for multitasking.

So getting back to the overtly political, as John Smith was doing above: is The Donald paying a price yet for his latest tweets? I'm guessing no.

Ok you two...when the conversation becomes one exclusive to two individuals going back and forth, it's time to realize that your conversation is of interest primarily to yourselves. In other words, time to take it off these public forums and into private messages, if you care to continue the discussion.

Please, and thank you.

Donna, I am trying to PM you, but it says that you can't receive new messages. It would be inappropriate to post it in the thread so please PM me your email, or allow yourself to receive new messages. It was over 5 hours without either one of us replying. It was already over.

Thank you, Doug

Well, he was ahead in polls for FL, NV, and NC a week ago. Now he's behind in those swing states.

I think there's a set of people who can live with a candidate who proposes racist policies but not with one who tweets about sex tapes.

Donna, I am trying to PM you, but it says that you can't receive new messages. It would be inappropriate to post it in the thread so please PM me your email, or allow yourself to receive new messages. It was over 5 hours without either one of us replying. It was already over.

Thank you, Doug

Hey Doug, I'm not sure why messages weren't going thru, but try again now. You can send just a test message first if you like. (I can't test message myself.) I've been getting my pm's regularly and don't see a reason it wouldn't go through. Glad you had ended the exchange & apologies because I misread the time stamp on it. That's what I get for squinting at my phone screen.

Oops, I just got back on here and saw this. Yep, pretty sure we were both done, though I did propose taking it to PM and was told no.

As someone in a mixed racial marriage, I must say I'm glad VC, while not very racially diverse itself, is such a racially sensitive group. Gives me hope!

Well... here's an olive branch: things usually get dicey when we talk about race. Even when extremely well-meaning people talk. But talk we must, with humility and a forgiving spirit.

The entire goal of being PC is to communicate without verbally marginalizing someone. It's a good goal.

A good starting point might be learning the fact that 'race' does not exist as some fundamental law of nature.  It's a myth that was created and used to justify enslaving people.  From there we could learn about what race and racism is and actually listen to the groups that have suffered from it for generations AND realize we have the same wants as them. And from there we could get to a place where we understand ideology and reification of racism...political correctness is then a moot issue because it's a fascinating joy to call folks by their self determined names.  

A good starting point might be learning the fact that 'race' does not exist as some fundamental law of nature. It's a myth that was created and used to justify enslaving people. From there we could learn about what race and racism is and actually listen to the groups that have suffered from it for generations AND realize we have the same wants as them. And from there we could get to a place where we understand ideology and reification of racism...political correctness is then a moot issue because it's a fascinating joy to call folks by their self determined names.

Yes, yes and yes. The biology of race (read: there is none) should be required learning in high school.

Yes, yes and yes. The biology of race (read: there is none) should be required learning in high school.

I agree.  Basic education.  The fact that the Race Myth is not taught has much to do with continued racism or at least continuing a perception of race as reality.  A black friend and I attempted to explain the mythology of race to one of our professors in our counseling psychology phd program.  The dude did not get it at all.  !!

People of all political stripes get very upset at the suggestion. My anthropology professor in college deconstructed it over a one hour lecture. I was getting upset and couldn't figure out why (drastic world view reordering), I left with my mind blown.

People of all political stripes get very upset at the suggestion. My anthropology professor in college deconstructed it over a one hour lecture. I was getting upset and couldn't figure out why (drastic world view reordering), I left with my mind blown.

I remember my mind being blown by it. I now regularly blow my 7th grade students' minds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So Mike Pence misappropriated federal funds by promising to take refugees, getting paid for it, then vehemently refusing to do so.

Between that, Trump's sexist media rampage and the NY times story on his taxes, I'd say this is the worst week for the Trump campaign yet.

So Mike Pence misappropriated federal funds by promising to take refugees, getting paid for it, then vehemently refusing to do so.

For Trumps hardcore supporters this is a good thing. It shows that the system is broken because Indiana was able to do this and They stood up to Obama and told him to keep his dirty terrorists out of our country. Win-Win.

Between that, Trump's sexist media rampage and the NY times story on his taxes, I'd say this is the worst week for the Trump campaign yet.

No no no. Didn't you hear? Trump's tax thing is GREAT NEWS for Trump because it shows that the system is broken, and he's a tax genius, and that only he can fix it. You can tell it's GREAT NEWS because they're not just trying to positively spin something that they hadn't considered releasing before...

BUT HILLARY HAS BLOOD ON HER HANDS. 

No no no. Didn't you hear? Trump's tax thing is GREAT NEWS for Trump because it shows that the system is broken, and he's a tax genius, and that only he can fix it. You can tell it's GREAT NEWS because they're not just trying to positively spin something that they hadn't considered releasing before...

BUT HILLARY HAS BLOOD ON HER HANDS. 

I drove through Wisconsin yesterday during the lunch hour and was subjected to Rush Limbaugh, and this was his exact line of thinking.  But of course it misses the point entirely.  

What is so surprising from this whole thing, is how this tack directly goes against Trump's and the GOP narrative.  So often we hear about the takers and makers (which Paul Ryan said and sort of apologized for).  Or the welfare queens, or the moochers on the system.  But with this, it proves that Trump was in the taker category.  

Of course the fact that Trump did not pay taxes directly go against his words.  Thus seeing himself as a contributing factor to the problem.  

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2016/10/donald-trump-taxes-50-percent-Americans-dont-pay

But, of course, this was all legal, or at least appears legal (depending if counted the repayment of debt by another company as income, or how the losses were really reported, etc.).  It is important for business who claim losses to be not unduly burdened by taxes and they can keep their business afloat, thus employing more or continuing employing people.  Which is a good thing.  

But really this is a non story in my opinion and should be mentioned in the context that our tax system is broken.  Trump appeared to do nothing illegal.  It is not his fault he used a broken system to keep more money in his pocket.  Hell, we would all jump at the chance to pay less taxes.  What should be the story is how the system is broken, how Trump and GOP demonize the poor because they take and don't pay taxes.  That is the issue.  

You know, I have always tried to respect Trump supporters.  I don't understand their thinking, but in this country you can vote for whomever you want.  But after his comments yesterday about PTSD sufferers.  If you are Trump supporter you can no longer put your head in the sand over comments like these.  You can't say I don't agree with him on this, but will vote for him because of his tax policy or his gun policy.  If you support Trump, you are supporting an asshole.  If you support Trump you are an asshole yourself.  It is just too much.

You know, I have always tried to respect Trump supporters.  I don't understand their thinking, but in this country you can vote for whomever you want.  But after his comments yesterday about PTSD sufferers.  If you are Trump supporter you can no longer put your head in the sand over comments like these.  You can't say I don't agree with him on this, but will vote for him because of his tax policy or his gun policy.  If you support Trump, you are supporting an asshole.  If you support Trump you are an asshole yourself.  It is just too much.

Reading this article, it seems less of an issue of one of his heinous opinions being dropped with great bravado, and more of one of his word salads where he doesn't even know where he's going to land.  Somewhere in the slew of half-formed ideas he insulted veterans, and tried to not to insult the ones in the room because talking is hard dude.

Me too.  I had to hear about it several times.  I was really interested though.  It really helps one understand the historical legacy of racism that is in full force today.  I remember trying to explain to someone how the 'cutoff points' for each race are absolutely arbitrary.  That got her attention.  It is a lot to take in. Our socialization is impossibly strong.