Politics 2016 (election edition)

Is it known to be true that rural voters show up in higher percentages than urban or suburban voters?

Yes, but maybe the difference isn't significant:

http://www.dailyyonder.com/rural-voter-turnout-drops-18-2012/2012/11/29/5514/

Rural residents still voted more than those in the cities, but the decline is remarkable.

K, this made me laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLYHu0AG8GI

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm tired of living in a nation full of idiots. The amount of people that will believe this bullshit is not small. http://www.npr.org/2016/10/07/496996886/matt-drudge-suggests-government-may-be-lying-about-hurricane-matthew

I'm tired of living in a nation full of idiots. The amount of people that will believe this bullshit is not small. http://www.npr.org/2016/10/07/496996886/matt-drudge-suggests-government-may-be-lying-about-hurricane-matthew

"Others on social media suggested Drudge go to Florida himself."

I agree.  Drudge should go Florida himself.  He should go Florida himself long and hard.

There's a lot more talk about the latest Trump controversy being the deal breaker, which if true is interesting to me. His comments were shockingly disgusting, but there's something strange about the tipping point of opinion. Why these disgusting comments but not the others?

There's a lot more talk about the latest Trump controversy being the deal breaker, which if true is interesting to me. His comments were shockingly disgusting, but there's something strange about the tipping point of opinion. Why these disgusting comments but not the others?

These comments are less veiled then the others. And way more graphic. I have no doubt this is the way Trump talks behind closed doors and his language does not surprise me. I am sure he has said worse.

It was nice and surprising to see Paul Ryan show some balls and back out of his appearance with Trump this weekend.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/govt-and-politics/paul-ryan-trump-won-t-campaign-in-wisconsin-after-being/article_77154526-6624-55ab-a89b-d4c0bc49fbde.html

This is even worse b/c Trump is essentially admitting to doing the kind of stuff that Roger Ailes got fired from fox news for while on tape. Groping women without consent is potentially criminal behavior.  This goes a step above simply being "lewd." Of course, since he never spelled out any victims specifically, we will never know exactly who he was speaking of, but he's basically admitting he sexually assaulted women in some form at some point in his life and that he was proud of it.

Prior to June, if you'd have told me that the October Surprise would come from Access Hollywood, I'd have laughed. This is another in a long line of things you'd never have expected would be a part of a US presidential election, but are.

The GOP powers that be better be looking up the procedures for dumping him and installing a new candidate.

Those weaklings had the chance to disavow him from the party long ago, but he threatened to run independently.

Btw Col, Hapablap. Non consensual touching in any form is battery, not "potentially" a crime. It IS a crime. However, in Donald's world, "they let you do it." It's good to be King?

Dude, most people are idiots.  It is tiring.  

My main reaction to the current Trump Tape is that this is the normal way most men talk about women at some point or all of their lives. Some don't know any different.  Others just want to be 'one of the boys'.  They also talk about men this way too...the wimps, for lack of a better word.

My other reaction (which in no way takes away from the seriousness of the Tape) is wondering where the outrage was when Trump basically criminalized an entire religion and an tire population of a country.  

Alas, the stupidity will continue. Ugh.

My other reaction (which in no way takes away from the seriousness of the Tape) is wondering where the outrage was when Trump basically criminalized an entire religion and an tire population of a country.

Alas, the stupidity will continue. Ugh.

This is the same question I was asking above. The ethics are just as rotten in all of these offenses, but I'm thinking (cynically) that the difference is those other groups are minorities and ones that bigoted white men are insulated from. Women aren't a minority, they're interwoven with everything and everyone that our society is.

Also, as for the boys will be boys/ locker room excuse, I don't buy it. Even as a drunken lusty 17 year old man surrounded by the same, we may have described aspirations or crudely admired people's anatomy, but we NEVER joked about assaulting a woman with aggressive and unwanted advances.

Any man can be a little gross, but there are limits for everyone and the comments on the tape are unrecognizably crude to my experience.

This is the same question I was asking above. The ethics are just as rotten in all of these offenses, but I'm thinking (cynically) that the difference is those other groups are minorities and ones that bigoted white men are insulated from. Women aren't a minority, they're interwoven with everything and everyone that our society is.

Also, as for the boys will be boys/ locker room excuse, I don't buy it. Even as a drunken lusty 17 year old man surrounded by the same, we may have described aspirations or crudely admired people's anatomy, but we NEVER joked about assaulting a woman with aggressive and unwanted advances.

Any man can be a little gross, but there are limits for everyone and the comments on the tape are unrecognizably crude to my experience.

Even in the locker room I never heard someone talk about grabbing certain parts of the body or assaulting.  Good point.

Why are people all of a sudden shocked at Trump's comments? In public he has made terrible, horrible comments. Now that this was caught on tape, we there is this sense of horror? Public this man is a deplorable asshole. Why does anyone think privately he wouldn't say worse. I guess this gives the GOP an out.

I am truly baffled by the uproar. The guy has a recorded history of referring to various women as pigs, dogs, and slobs. He publicly referenced Megyn Kelly's menstrual cycle as "blood coming out of her wherever." He went on and on about how Miss Universe Alicia Machado got fat, and called her "disgusting." These were not ancient comments like on that tape...they were recent!

Then you add in all the other stuff - calling Mexicans rapists, saying a Mexican judge should recuse himself from his case because he's planning to build a wall, suggesting we stop allowing Muslims coming into the U.S., making fun of a disabled reporter - but this is the dealbreaker? Umm...okay.