Politics 2016 (election edition)

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is why we can't have nice things.

Republicans may block a President Clinton's SCOTUS nominee.

Jesus

Right now the republicans are trapped by their base. If they don't pull shit like this they catch hell from the base and conservative media and risk losing their next election. The rest of the country will view them as a-holes but only their base matters. If they confirm judges, pass budgets and do their jobs, they are rinos, liberals helping Hilary etc... they offend the base. So it works out best for them if they drive the car into the wall and blame the democrats for the crash.

I'm voting today.

I think I'm going to vote early too. For some reason, I remember going to the police station by Target last time. There was a huge line! I always get worried about early voting. Like my vote will get lost or something :P

The only time I voted early was in 2008 - I lived down the block from President Obama and my wife and I knew that the actual voting day was going to be very crowded in our neighborhood.

Even voting early we had to wait for close to an hour.

I was out of town one year for an election and voted by absentee ballot. I now get a ballot in my mail for every election automatically, and love voting by mail. It's easy, it's free, I don't have to stand in line, and I can take my time with the ballot and research the candidates and the inevitable amendments before voting on them. If it's an option, I highly recommend it. I sent it out last week.

I was out of town one year for an election and voted by absentee ballot. I now get a ballot in my mail for every election automatically, and love voting by mail. It's easy, it's free, I don't have to stand in line, and I can take my time with the ballot and research the candidates and the inevitable amendments before voting on them. If it's an option, I highly recommend it. I sent it out last week.

Yep, I feel exactly the same! But however you do it, just vote!

Just got my ballot in the mail today. I am always hesitant to fill it our the first day I get it or too early. Voted pretty early last Prez election and wish I had waited. Not sure what I will do this time. 

Yep! A few dummys thought that by walling off recreational sales our neighborhood would be a safe-haven from the eminent decay that comes from casual marijuana purchases. Of course people drive two miles up Broadway and the tax revenue leaves our little city.

Yeah, I'm confused about the "eminent decay," as well. Everything I've read points to very little increase in crime rates in neighborhoods with legal shops. the real issue is that shops are set up in zones (much like liquor stores) and these zones are almost always in already low-income neighborhoods, where crime rates are always higher than in medium/high-income neighborhoods.

We have recreational on the state ballot here (Maine) and I have been less than 100% sold on the idea.

How come?

What type of decay? Have neighborhoods with pot shops seen a spike in theft/assaults?

We have recreational on the state ballot here (Maine) and I have been less than 100% sold on the idea.

Sorry, my sarcasm doesn't read.  Part of why I got extra sarcastic is it's hilarious that a vocal contingent of our city council seems to think first that the pot shops would cause problems, and second that they will be avoided by preventing the Rec shops from opening in our neighborhood when the Denver-metro area is littered with them.

Ah, I see. Wondered if maybe legality brought with it an unsavory scene.

Lammy I'll vote Yez, I'm sure. Just the factors of weed being controlled by big business as a result and the fact that cartels are supplying the States with cheaper deadlier heroin as a result of losing the weed black market.

Ah, I see. Wondered if maybe legality brought with it an unsavory scene.

It has brought a very savory scene; foodie restaurants galore! Tons of economic growth but lots of complaints about population growth and skyrocketing property values/ rent.