• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This record release is the antithesis of Wilco's Star Wars release. Could Radiohead be more self indulgent? 

Oh, and the songs are fine. I thought Daydreaming was pretty boring and Burn the Witch was kinda catchy.

Does anyone know why the track listing is in alphabetical order?

Because we've all been reduced to a meaningless sense of order by the crushing categorization of society.

Or they just thought it would be fun to do....

Either way, I'm getting the album ASAP, I love Radiohead almost as much as I love Wilco!

I'm really enjoying the album right away as well, I enjoyed TKOL but I think this album is already up with In Rainbows, or maybe even better.

It's going to take repeated listens to really get a sense of it but even after the first listen I can tell that it's something special, even for Radiohead.

The fact that Radiohead released an album this good makes me happy :)

I'm really digging it as well. My expectations were pretty reasonable this time around I think, and this record delivered, and then some. It feels wiiiiiide open. I think Greenwood's film score work the past decade is very evident in the scope of this thing.

I'm really loving this record, I hadn't even noticed the alphabetical order thing, maybe that's why the renamed Silent Spring to The Numbers.  If I had to describe it I'd say take In Rainbows, mix it with Amnesiac, throw in some strings and record it in the Grand Canyon.

Really digging this album.  I'll echo the comment about it being like In Rainbows combined with Amnesiac - I'd also throw some Hail To The Theif in there as well.  It's really, really good.  Everytime it rolls to the end of the album I basically just start it over again and again.  Love hearing the little nuances that pop out with repeated listens.

This writer's 8 year old son reviewed the new album track by track and he posted it on twitter.  Pretty hilarious review.  http://www.thepoke.co.uk/2016/05/09/track-track-review-radioheads-moon-shaped-pool-8-year-old/

Thats the thing about Radiohead everyone loves a different album

Mine...

The Bends

Ok Computer

Hail to the Theif

Pablo Honey (yes I like it more than the others...maybe sentimental reasons)

Kid A

King of Limbs

In Rainbows

Amnesiac

In a Moon Shape Pool (only listened to once..I like it but need more time)

I never really think about rankings, but this post got me thinking, I wonder if there is any correlation between someone's favorite Wilco album and Radiohead albums.  These are mine, and pretty general really, on some days I may prefer Ghost to Being there or something, lets just say I don't have a favorite of anything so my list is very fluid.

Wilco:

Being There

Ghost is Born

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

Star Wars

Summerteeth

Sky Blue Sky

The Whole Love

AM

Wilco the Album

Radiohead:

The Bends

Amnesiac

Kid A

OK Computer

A Moon Shaped Pool (too new to rank really)

In Rainbows

The King of Limbs

Hail To the Thief

Pablo Honey

i tend to lean towards this order if I pull them off the shelf to listen...

The Bends

OK Computer

Hail to the Thief

(Does the live one count? If so insert here)

KId A

Pablo Honey

Amnesiac

IN Rainbows

Never heard King of LImbs or the new one.

Anytime a favorite band comes out with a new album, I like to listen to the whole catalog and reassess everything. I haven't done that with A Moon Shaped Pool yet, but here's my initial ranking:

1. OK Computer

2. Kid A

3. Amnesiac

4. The Bends

5. In Rainbows

6. The King of Limbs

7. Hail to the Thief

8. Pablo Honey

If I ranked the Radiohead albums today it would look like this. And my list could very well be different tomorrow depending on what kind of mood I'm in:

Kid A

A Moon Shaped Pool

Ok Computer

The Bends

In Rainbows

Amnesiac

The King of Limbs

Hail to the Theif

Pablo Honey

And since it seems like we're comparing Radiohead rankings to Wilco rankings my current Wilco ranking is:

Star Wars

YHF

AGIB

SBS

WTA

TWL

BT

ST

AM

Wow. Star Wars as top pick! Bold. I find it satisfying that a Wilco fan can rank the newest album as tops after it's had nearly a year to settle in.

But we should be discussing Radiohead. The controversial albums seem to be KoL and HttT. Pablo is kind of their AM, a direct and simple debut with few hints of the adventurous explorations to come- you kind of either go for that or you don't. But KoL divides people with its gritty digital weirdness. Many people here (myself included) have it ranked in the lower half.

Hail is kind of their W(tA). It's sort of a supposed "return to form", or a "well-produced" (in popular terms) rock album- lazer guns and "the rain drops" freakouts aside. Still got some standouts "There, there" and "Drunken Punchout" being two of my favorites. Seems like folks are split on it.

My final musing, we'll see if others agree: Moon Shaped is really cool because it retains the deconstructed song forms of KoL but ditches the grainy sample sounds in favor of lush orchestration. Some of the emotions might be icey and alienated but they're couched in elegant instrumental warmth. That sweet and sour combination is key in all of my favorite music.

• 3 weeks later...

Hail to the Thief was actually recorded really quickly. I think they only gave themselves a day to record a song. I saw some interview about it the other day. I forget where, an old one. They went to LA and recorded it instead of somewhere in the UK or their home studio. Another time Phil admitted that HTTT is just too long. I like all the tracks in various ways, but it is pretty long.

My problem with TKOL is that it's short and 8 tracks and they're not all solid.

If they're all solid tracks, then that's great.

I've never been big on Morning Mr Magpie, and then to have Feral take up one of the 8 spots?

I dig instrumentals in albums, Pet Sounds is one of my favorites and it has 2 - Kid A, Amnesiac and OK Computer all kinda have them - basically instrumentals with messed up vocals - but they work in the context of the album as a whole.

Then they released 4 or more solid tracks right after. It was just bad sequencing and choice of tracks imo.

I've streamed A Moon Shaped Pool a couple times. I am really waiting for the CD release though.

I don't care if you're my favorite band, I'm not going to pay for the same album twice - the digital now and the physical CD later.

Now if you add some cool extra unreleased tracks down the road, I will probably be interested.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Always great to wake up to discover that Radiohead is heading out on an arena tour (sorry for the formatting issues):

July 2018

Sat 7
United Center
Chicago
USA

Tue 10
Madison Square Garden
New York
USA

Wed 11
Madison Square Garden
New York