Favorite Concerts of 2018

What were your favorite shows this year?  I still have a few to attend in December, but so far mine are:

David Byrne at the Auditorium Theater (one of my favorite shows ever)

Low Cut Connie at the Empty Bottle

Drive-By Truckers at Thalia Hall

Parquet Courts at the Vic Theater

Guided By Voices at SPACE

Courtney Barnett at Newport FF

Alejandro Escovedo and Don Antonio at SPACE

John Prine at the Ryman

Margo Price at Thalia Hall

Waco Brothers at Schuba's

Antarctigo Vespucci at Bottom Lounge

The Beths at Beat Kitchen

A Giant Dog at Empty Bottle

Parquet Courts/ Dream Wife at Thalia Hall

Collective Soul/ Soul Asylum at Northernly Island

David Byrne at Auditorium

Courtney Barnett at Cultural Center

Ron Gallo/The Nude Party at Barracuda

Margaret Glaspy (with Julian lage) at SPACE

Lucius at Thalia Hall

I'm always jealous of people who live in Chicago, NYC, LA, Seattle and Toronto because every band that tours around North America always plays in these cities.  Anyway, slim pickings for me this year. Is it because Ottawa is not really that good for shows anymore or is it because I am getting older and I'm a bit out of the loop and don't go to as many shows? A little of both I suppose. Also, big summer festivals have kind of ruined ruined it.  I can tell you right now, if Stephen Malkmus, Parquet Courts, Thee Oh Sees, GBV, J Mascis, Yo La Tengo, the Breeders and a few other bands that toured this year ever came to Ottawa, I would go. But I regress, here's is my very short list

Jeff Tweedy solo and Algonquin Theatre in Ottawa

Sloan at Empty Bottle in Chicago

I'm always jealous of people who live in Chicago, NYC, LA, Seattle and Toronto because every band that tours around North America always plays in these cities.  Anyway, slim pickings for me this year. Is it because Ottawa is not really that good for shows anymore or is it because I am getting older and I'm a bit out of the loop and don't go to as many shows? A little of both I suppose. Also, big summer festivals have kind of ruined ruined it.  I can tell you right now, if Stephen Malkmus, Parquet Courts, Thee Oh Sees, GBV, J Mascis, Yo La Tengo, the Breeders and a few other bands that toured this year ever came to Ottawa, I would go. But I regress, here's is my very short list

If it is any consolation, I live in Chicago, and I didn't get to but wanted to see that Sloan show. 

Jason Isbell & the 400 Unit with James McMurtry - Saenger Theatre - Mobile, AL

Margo Price - Manship Theatre - Baton Rouge, LA

Caroline Rose - Gasa Gasa - New Orleans, LA

Belle and Sebastian - Civic Theatre - New Orleans, LA

Guided by Voices - One Eyed Jacks - New Orleans, LA

Randy Newman & the Hollywood Bowl Orchestra - Hollywood Bowl - Los Angeles, CA

Decemberists - Civic Theatre - New Orleans, LA

Joshua Hedley with Kelsey Waldon - Callaghan's Irish Social Club - Mobile, AL

Kris Kristofferson & The Strangers - Saenger Theatre - Mobile, AL

Great year of shows favs:

David Byrne: Brooklyn and Wilkes Barre

Jeff:Princeton

Jamiroquai: queens finally!!

Parquet Courts: Rough Trade and Rocks off Cruise

Mitski: Brooklyn

Leon Bridges: Brooklyn

Charlatans: Brooklyn

Radiohead: MSG three nights

Gorillaz: Philly

Pete Yorn:Asbury Park

Beck:MSG

Jayhawks:Bowery

Beach House: NYC

Julian Lage Trio 

Patti Smith: Words and Music (NYC)

Jim Campilongo Trio (NYC)

Paul Simon 

Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds (DC)

St. Vincent 

Rockateens album release show

Chaka Khan (Macon, GA)

McGuinn/Hillman: Sweetheart of the Rodeo w/ Marty Stuart & HIs Fabulous Superlatives

Gold Sparkle Band

All shows in Atlanta except as noted.

Worst show of the year:  Dr. Dog.  I was shocked by how boring they were. Expected much better.

Worst show of the year:  Dr. Dog.  I was shocked by how boring they were. Expected much better.

Bummer. I haven't seen them in ages, but the shows I went to were the opposite of boring.

Fun idea for a thread too. My worst was Titus Andronicus (Duo) - just awful. I kept waiting another song before giving up, but ended up giving up and going home.

Bummer. I haven't seen them in ages, but the shows I went to were the opposite of boring.

Fun idea for a thread too. My worst was Titus Andronicus (Duo) - just awful. I kept waiting another song before giving up, but ended up giving up and going home.

I wish I had seen them earlier in their career.  I guess I just don't like most of their more recent material, particularly Toby's songs, and they played zero songs from We All Belong, which is the main album of theirs that I like.

I saw a lot of shows this year including three festivals. Here are a few:

The Decemberists doing The Crane Wife in full at Travelers Rest Fest in Missoula Montana. This was two nights, the second night they did The Crane Wife plus some other classics. It was my favourite show of the year.

The National at Sasquatch Music Fest. They were just really good. Matt almost took my head off with his mic cable when he came into the crowd.

The War on Drugs at the Paramount Theatre in Seattle. They were also just really good.

Jeff Tweedy at The Moore in Seattle. I saw Jeff four times this year, this night though he took a bunch of requests form Twitter including yours truly. I also saw him two nights before in a pretty small bar and it was also great. 

Courtney Barnett at The Vogue in Vancouver. The crowd was REALLY into it and Courtney was on fire.

The Flaming Lips at the Burton Cummings Theatre in Winnipeg. I'd never seen the Lips before and I have to give them a mention just because of how bat shit their stage antics are.

Jack White at the WaMu Theatre in Seattle. I saw him the night before in a hockey rink in Vancouver. This show was still too big for my tastes but sound was a lot better AND he covered Pearl Jam. Those new songs sound way better in person, for what it's worth.

Big Thief at Sasquatch Music Fest. If there was one band that clearly had "buzz" at Sasquatch it was Big Thief. You could see a lot of performers from earlier that day trying to watch them, which I never noticed with anyone else. I even spotted Matt Berninger. They did spend a lot of time tuning, I feel like at this point they could probably afford more guitars, but they were very endearing and their songs sounded great.

Hiss Golden Messenger at Winnipeg Folk Fest. MC Taylor is just a hell of a songwriter. 
Spoon at Sasquatch. I forgot how many great songs Spoon has. 

I'm moving to Winnipeg and I'm soooo excited to hopefully see Sloan finally in 2019. Malkmus played Vancouver this summer but I wasn't able to go!! I did miss out on Parquet Courts, they played the Decemberists fest in Montana but they played the side stage right before Jeff took the main stage and I had a rail spot I wasn't willing to give up. I could faintly hear them in the distance! 

Dang, I forgot to write down all the shows I saw this year, and with so many shows being paperless tickets I might have trouble recollecting all of them. Some highligh  sin no particular order.

Pearl Jam - September 2 - Fenway Park, Boston MA

Soul Asylum - August 17-18 - Penn's Peak, Jim Thorpe/Club XL, Harrisburg, PA. Witht he Jellybricks in Harrisburg.

Jeff Tweedy - June, Clearwater Festival, Croton Point Park, NY

Lucius - March - Levon Helm's Barn, Woodstock, NY

Drive By Truckers - July 5 - The Colony, Woodstock, NY

Erika Wennerstrom - March - Brooklyn Bowl, NYC (opening for Drive By Truckers)
Old 97s - December 12 - Space Ballroom, Hamden, CT

Neko Case - January - Capitol Theater, Port Chester, NY
Richard Thompson - November 17 - The Egg, Albany NY

Gin Blossoms - February 21 - Paramount Theater, Peekskill NY (New Miserable Experience tour)

Mike Cooley - December 5 - Highline Ballroom, NYC

My number was down in 2018, but here are my faves:

Greensky Bluegrass and Billy Strings-HOB Boston. Had never seen them, a buddy insisted I go. What a great night!

Pretenders-Orpheum Theater

Tommy Castro and the Painkillers-CIty Winery

Jeff Tweedy-all request fundraiser-Vic

JRAD-Harborlights-

Phish-Albany

Courtney Barnett-HOB Boston

Lucinda Williams-Car Wheels 20th Anniversary tour-Paradise

Tedeschi Trucks Band-2 nights at the Orpheum

JazzFest 2018:

Daze Between Band-Howlin' Wolf

Jason Isbell-Fairgrounds

Beck-Fairgrounds

Gov't Mule-Sanger Theater

JRAD-Mardi Gras World

A couple of other highlights that aren't "concerts"

Hamilton-NYC

Michelle Obama-Boston Garden

Tough to rank, but here's my top 12 (in chronological order...).  Good grief there were a lot of great shows. 

Yo La Tengo Basement East Nashville

Mavis Staples Memorial Hall

Cincinnati Jeff Tweedy Vic Chicago

Mt. Joy Burl Lexington

Jeff Tweedy LRS Chicago

Guided by Voices Headliners Louisville

Radiohead US Bank Arena Cincinnati

David Byrne PNC Pavillion Cincinnati

Jayhawks Mercy Lounge Nashville

Lucero Ryman Nashville

Jeff Tweedy Moore Theater Seattle

Aaron Lee Tasjen Burl Lexington

So so many shows this year for me, a great year of live music and that’s with no Wilco too! Some of my favorites off the top of my head:

Phish Alpharetta run

Phish Rosemont run

Yo La Tengo Thalia Hall run

Neil Young Auditorium Theatre run

Arcade Fire at summer fest

War on Drugs at the Riverside

Roger Waters at United Center

Yes/ARW at Ravinia

Tough to rank, but here's my top 12 (in chronological order...).  Good grief there were a lot of great shows. 

Yo La Tengo Basement East Nashville

Wait.  You saw YLT at The Basement?!  That place is tiny.

2018 was a great year for traveling with friends and hosting as well.

Chronologically from January..

Justin Townes Earle (solo)  City Winery Chicago

Lucero  Madison WI

Drive By Truckers Thalia Hall  Chicago

Jeff Tweedy  Vic  (2)

Courtney Barnett  Chicago Cultural Center - 3rd floor under the Tiffany dome 

Jeff Tweedy LRS

Neil Young (2) Auditorium Theater  Chicago

Baseball Project  Evanston IL  (Scott McCaughey's return to Chicago) 

Jeff Tweedy Madison WI

Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival   San Francisco.

Festival shows of Jeff Tweedy, Graham Nash, Los Lobos, Nick Lowe, Aaron Lee Tasjan and Emmylou Harris.

Pre-festival show Thursday night of Dawes

Daily-post shows of Jeff Tweedy at the Fillmore and Justin Townes Earle and Aaron Lee Tasjan at Slim's

Also, a favorite was JT's  book reading at the Music Box..

Didn't see many. Just a couple.

But the best was Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever at Lincoln Hall (Chicago). Those boys ROCK, I tells ya!

My number was down in 2018, but here are my faves:

Greensky Bluegrass and Billy Strings-HOB Boston. Had never seen them, a buddy insisted I go. What a great night!

Pretenders-Orpheum Theater

Tommy Castro and the Painkillers-CIty Winery

Jeff Tweedy-all request fundraiser-Vic

JRAD-Harborlights-

Phish-Albany

Courtney Barnett-HOB Boston

Lucinda Williams-Car Wheels 20th Anniversary tour-Paradise

Tedeschi Trucks Band-2 nights at the Orpheum

JazzFest 2018:

Daze Between Band-Howlin' Wolf

Jason Isbell-Fairgrounds

Beck-Fairgrounds

Gov't Mule-Sanger Theater

JRAD-Mardi Gras World

A couple of other highlights that aren't "concerts"

Hamilton-NYC

Michelle Obama-Boston Garden

I will add last night’s MSG Phish show to my list. Got to go with my soon to be 29year old son. He was 7 (and my daughter was 9+) when we took a family outing for their first Phish show, the famous Worcester Runaway Jam show. We’ve seen Phish together a few times over the years, but last night was the first in a long while and we both had a blast.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I will add last night’s MSG Phish show to my list. Got to go with my soon to be 29year old son. He was 7 (and my daughter was 9+) when we took a family outing for their first Phish show, the famous Worcester Runaway Jam show. We’ve seen Phish together a few times over the years, but last night was the first in a long while and we both had a blast.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wow that’s great!