Sky Blue Sky Festival

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wish  I wish I could share that optimism. Unfortunately, it's not just about being at an outdoor concert. There's the trip to the airport, and time spent in the airport waiting for your fligh

Yep.  Hard for me to blame the guy who has essentially given away 200+ live shows on Instagram since COVID started.  I blame Cloud 9 and Trump (because I like to blame Trump for everything bad).   

I'm feeling seriously depressed at the thought that the penalty for 6 days of fun in Mexico may be...could very likely be!...being stuck in a Mexican Residence Inn for 10 days!  With covid, and no par

Posted Images

It’s good that we now have this example being set by Dead & Company and their event organizer and resort.  Surely Wilco’s team is well aware of this development, and hopefully it provides a roadmap that will lead to a similar refund scenario for SBS.  

I know it’s gotta be very complicated, but at least now there’s precedent from a business/legal perspective and from a fan response perspective.  From what I can see on the Dead and Company Reddit page, fans who were getting anxious are very pleased that refunds have been offered.  And fans who still intend to go the event also feel it’s the right decision.  That sense of relief and empathy will only strengthen their bond with the band, and their trust in the organization putting on the event.  I don’t see how that’s anything other than a smart move for all involved, even if there’s a financial loss in the short term.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, kidsmoke said:

Let's hope we get offered that option, if they don't see fit to postpone.

A refund option would be great.  I'd be happy with a credit that I can use for the next SBS.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Chez said:

A refund option would be great.  I'd be happy with a credit that I can use for the next SBS.

That's kind of how I'm thinking. Here's the link for any of you wishing to sign the petition to allow refunds for those who want them. 

https://chng.it/Zf9BYDpLK8

Even if you are fine with the event going on, and you still plan to attend, it would be compassionate of you to sign this petition so that others who don't feel safe going have an option to withdraw. Thanks. :thumbup

Edit: just noticed that jff already posted that link. Follow it, folks!

Short of Jeff getting sick, I don’t see any way that it gets postponed.  We’re still planning on going, but at this point offering refunds to those who want it seems fair.  It does make me wonder why more people didn’t buy the cancel for any reason insurance though.  Even though things were looking better at the time, we were still in the middle of a pandemic. 

2 hours ago, Madcap said:

Short of Jeff getting sick, I don’t see any way that it gets postponed.  We’re still planning on going, but at this point offering refunds to those who want it seems fair.  It does make me wonder why more people didn’t buy the cancel for any reason insurance though.  Even though things were looking better at the time, we were still in the middle of a pandemic. 

In my case, when I went to buy their "Cancel for Any Reason" insurance I discovered that I had missed their very brief window to purchase it. I looked elsewhere for CfAR insurance but found it prohibitively expensive and you only recover up to 75% with a claim.

I wound up getting very good insurance via AAA's advice, at Allianz. But while they cover me, or a family member, getting Covid, what they don't cover is the terror (however valid) of getting Covid and being stuck in a Mexican quarantine hotel for as much as 2 more weeks. Although the "trip interruption" coverage would probably assist me in rescheduling my return flight at that point.

I have been incredibly careful in this pandemic, throughout. But waning Delta variant risk is not the same as this SURGING newcomer, Omicron, which hadn't even evolved back when we all bought these tickets. It didn't exist. It is a new threat which dramatically increases the odds of getting quarantined in Mexico.

Sigh. I really wanted to go to this.:no

Update sent 30 min ago:

UPDATE FROM SKY BLUE SKY

Greetings from Cloud 9 Adventures and Wilco.

2022 is here. Sky Blue Sky kicks off in just over two weeks. So we thought it's a good time to check in with everyone and address a few questions that have been coming our way.

To start, be assured that Sky Blue Sky is still scheduled to go forward as originally planned, with all performances, artists and other activities currently intact.

For those of you who are reconsidering your decision to attend, note that although economic realities restrict us from offering full refunds–there are some options still available:

The event sold out quickly and Cloud 9 is ready to assist in arrangements for guests to transfer their reservation to another interested fan.  The usual administrative fee is being waived for those wishing to explore this option. The deadline for this service has been extended to January 17.

Those who chose to purchase Trip Insurance (or have such service automatically offered from your credit card provider) may contact the insurer with questions to see what protections may be in place. 

Any guests with specific questions about their travel can contact one of our representatives.

Regarding the event itself, be assured that all possible health precautions are in place and have been effective in keeping similar events of this size safe so far this season. All music performances take place outdoors, multiple dining options will be available in the outdoor facilities and the few activities (e.g. check-in and registration) that require entering indoor spaces Hard Rock and event staff will be taking extra precautions.  Front-facing resort staff are close to fully vaccinated, staff are required to wear masks indoors and outdoors at all times, and negative tests are required of all attendees before entering the event.

You should contact your specific airline website for current rules and requirements for travel to and from Mexico.  You can also check the CDC website for general travel safety recommendations. 

Looking forward to seeing you all and enjoying a wonderful week with Wilco and its fans on the beach.  Please do contact us if you have any concerns or questions.

A safe and happy new year wishes to all,

Wilco and Cloud 9 Adventures

For context: I don't like the heat, resorts, or long plane trips so I was never going to go to this. 

I know it's a hot button issue, with a lot of opinions both ways but "Front-facing resort staff are close to fully vaccinated" is a really weird line and a very interesting choice in a communication intended to put people at ease.

• Like 1
On 12/31/2021 at 7:43 PM, Madcap said:

It does make me wonder why more people didn’t buy the cancel for any reason insurance though.  Even though things were looking better at the time, we were still in the middle of a pandemic. 

Sorry in advance for the long rant,  but I guess I need to vent a little…

We did buy insurance.  The event urged us to get cancel for any reason insurance, and offered three plans.  We bought the highest end plan on the event website, which they said offered the best coverage.  We figured that plan would include cancel for any reason, since that’s what they were telling us to buy.  It does not.  In order to get cancel for any reason we would have had to buy the most expensive plan, and then add on cancel for any reason.  I don’t recall seeing anywhere on screen when I bought insurance to make any add-ons.  I feel duped over that, and it wouldn’t surprise me if there are others who think they have cancel for any reason coverage who actually do not and will only learn that when the insurance company denies their claim.

I guess we’re “lucky” because we’re going through a terminal pet illness, so we may be able to recoup our costs.  (We would be backing out because of this even if Covid didn’t exist.) But their language regarding pet illnesses leaves them a lot of leeway to weasel out. The illness must be “so debilitating as to make travel impossible.”  I have no idea what that means, but I feel we meet that mark as it would be totally unreasonable (though not technically “impossible”) for us to leave our dog with a sitter when our dog gets weaker every day and is within a strong likelihood of dying while we’re in Mexico, especially if we had to stay there and quarantine after the festival.

• Sad 1

What a horrible bunch of circumstances, Jeff! I'm so sorry. I missed the first SBS because one of our dogs had a terminal cancer and had to be put down during that time. Of course you don't want to be away. 

I hope your insurance will cover you. You certainly seem to meet the criteria.

5 hours ago, jff said:

Sorry in advance for the long rant,  but I guess I need to vent a little…

We did buy insurance.  The event urged us to get cancel for any reason insurance, and offered three plans.  We bought the highest end plan on the event website, which they said offered the best coverage.  We figured that plan would include cancel for any reason, since that’s what they were telling us to buy.  It does not.  In order to get cancel for any reason we would have had to buy the most expensive plan, and then add on cancel for any reason.  I don’t recall seeing anywhere on screen when I bought insurance to make any add-ons.  I feel duped over that, and it wouldn’t surprise me if there are others who think they have cancel for any reason coverage who actually do not and will only learn that when the insurance company denies their claim.

I guess we’re “lucky” because we’re going through a terminal pet illness, so we may be able to recoup our costs.  (We would be backing out because of this even if Covid didn’t exist.) But their language regarding pet illnesses leaves them a lot of leeway to weasel out. The illness must be “so debilitating as to make travel impossible.”  I have no idea what that means, but I feel we meet that mark as it would be totally unreasonable (though not technically “impossible”) for us to leave our dog with a sitter when our dog gets weaker every day and is within a strong likelihood of dying while we’re in Mexico, especially if we had to stay there and quarantine after the festival.

Oh shit, JFF. I hate insurance companies so much -- they are the evil behind so much badness in the world (I am both a bitter doctor, and a bitter mother when I think of my personal experiences with insurance companies). You never get what you pay for, coverage wise.  

JFF, I am so sorry to hear about your sick dog. It's so frustrating that you have to deal with insurance BS, on top of all the stress you already have. Savor this time with her. Hope to meet you at the next SBS (on second thought, I am unsure I will ever be able to support a Cloud 9 event after this one)...maybe it will be a SSF or a regular old Wilco show. Take care and stay healthy.

And @kidsmoke have you made a final decision yet? You in or out? I am still undecided ---- I actually think that Omicron still has a very healthy chance of showing Cloud 9 who's boss here. Two weeks is a long ways away...just think it was only FIVE WEEKS AGO that this variant was first identified in South Africa....

On 12/31/2021 at 7:43 PM, Madcap said:

I agree that people should have bought insurance, sadly it was only available to US citizens. I could not find cancel for any reason insurance in Canada :( 

13 hours ago, Sandoz said:

Oh shit, JFF. I hate insurance companies so much -- they are the evil behind so much badness in the world (I am both a bitter doctor, and a bitter mother when I think of my personal experiences with insurance companies). You never get what you pay for, coverage wise.  

JFF, I am so sorry to hear about your sick dog. It's so frustrating that you have to deal with insurance BS, on top of all the stress you already have. Savor this time with her. Hope to meet you at the next SBS (on second thought, I am unsure I will ever be able to support a Cloud 9 event after this one)...maybe it will be a SSF or a regular old Wilco show. Take care and stay healthy.

And @kidsmoke have you made a final decision yet? You in or out? I am still undecided ---- I actually think that Omicron still has a very healthy chance of showing Cloud 9 who's boss here. Two weeks is a long ways away...just think it was only FIVE WEEKS AGO that this variant was first identified in South Africa....

Thank you and Kidsmoke for your sympathy.  It’s part of the deal as an animal lover, and it’s worth going through the hard part after all they bring to our lives, but understanding that never makes it any easier.

We may not see you at a future SBS,  but we do travel sometimes for Wilco shows, And would be happy to run into you somewhere down the line.

I have been trying unsuccessfully to reach out to the Sky Blue Sky preferred insurance company to get written confirmation of what the various travel insurance policies they are offering truly cover.  Their automated response points to the FAQ page of their website which reads:

I have purchased an ALC Travel Plan, but have not yet travelled – am I covered if I contract Coronavirus?

No, your policy has a general exclusion for any claims relating to an epidemic or pandemic. This is applicable regardless of when you purchased your insurance. On 11 March 2020, the World Health Organisation declared Coronavirus to be a pandemic. Consequently, there will be no cover for any claims relating to Coronavirus including medical expenses, cancellation, curtailment and travel disruption under your ALC Travel plan.

So, if someone tests positive prior to departure and is unable to go, there is no insurance reimbursement. That is simply not fair when we are in the midst of a surge. When we booked back in May, the nation was experiencing approximately 20,000 cases a day and the trend was downward. Today we are at over 450,000 daily cases and the trend is upward. Cloud Nine needs to cancel, postpone or provide refunds. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, LizK said:

I have been trying unsuccessfully to reach out to the Sky Blue Sky preferred insurance company to get written confirmation of what the various travel insurance policies they are offering truly cover.  Their automated response points to the FAQ page of their website which reads:

I have purchased an ALC Travel Plan, but have not yet travelled – am I covered if I contract Coronavirus?

No, your policy has a general exclusion for any claims relating to an epidemic or pandemic. This is applicable regardless of when you purchased your insurance. On 11 March 2020, the World Health Organisation declared Coronavirus to be a pandemic. Consequently, there will be no cover for any claims relating to Coronavirus including medical expenses, cancellation, curtailment and travel disruption under your ALC Travel plan.

So, if someone tests positive prior to departure and is unable to go, there is no insurance reimbursement. That is simply not fair when we are in the midst of a surge. When we booked back in May, the nation was experiencing approximately 20,000 cases a day and the trend was downward. Today we are at over 450,000 daily cases and the trend is upward. Cloud Nine needs to cancel, postpone or provide refunds. 

Makes you wonder how many fewer tickets they would have sold if this had been common knowledge when ticket went on sale.

The official insurer of the event can be reached at 866-368-3724.

I called them last week and their customer service rep was helpful.

11 hours ago, Fan in Toronto said:

I agree that people should have bought insurance, sadly it was only available to US citizens. I could not find cancel for any reason insurance in Canada :(

This sucks! Since the government is urging us not to travel, I wonder if you can make the case for your credit card to refund you?? We were suppose to see Wilco in Minneapolis in September, the border wasn't open yet and our credit card company told us they would have been able to help us (but we purchased over a year before, outside of the period where they'd support!)

• Like 1
19 hours ago, TCP said:

This sucks! Since the government is urging us not to travel, I wonder if you can make the case for your credit card to refund you?? We were suppose to see Wilco in Minneapolis in September, the border wasn't open yet and our credit card company told us they would have been able to help us (but we purchased over a year before, outside of the period where they'd support!)

Thanks for the tip, I'll check on this. To top it off my sister can't join me (because of COVID) so I'll be attending solo but paying for both of us.... I really don't want to get stuck in Mexico on my own!

Oh boy, this is a terrible situation, and only getting worse. My best to all dealing with issues mentioned here. Simply awful.

I’ve not seen the amount of For Sale tix to a Wilco event in a long time, as seen here and on Reddit (not a Facebook guy). Not quite as easy as moving a couple tickets to a local show, though Cloud 9 makes it sound like a snap (gimme a break). 

Stuck Stuck Stuck whether to go - still not understanding why band and organizers aren’t considering welfare of fans. I’ve GOT to believe there are contingency/ insurance options for organizers, but not surprised that greed wins out. 

Also willing to bet experience will be scaled down in comparison to first SBS (excursions, service, etc.), but clearly biggest concern remains testing positive and being quarantined in some version of hell. Ugh. 

Can Wait. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
24 minutes ago, dagwave said:

Oh boy, this is a terrible situation, and only getting worse. My best to all dealing with issues mentioned here. Simply awful.

I’ve not seen the amount of For Sale tix to a Wilco event in a long time, as seen here and on Reddit (not a Facebook guy). Not quite as easy as moving a couple tickets to a local show, though Cloud 9 makes it sound like a snap (gimme a break). 

Stuck Stuck Stuck whether to go - still not understanding why band and organizers aren’t considering welfare of fans. I’ve GOT to believe there are contingency/ insurance options for organizers, but not surprised that greed wins out. 

Also willing to bet experience will be scaled down in comparison to first SBS (excursions, service, etc.), but clearly biggest concern remains testing positive and being quarantined in some version of hell. Ugh. 

Can Wait. 

An interesting comment on FB suggested that Cloud 9 may be letting this one go forward, and if it’s a disaster, they can then use it as leverage to get their insurance company to cover the cancellation of the festivals that follow immediately after SBS.

Seems entirely plausible to me.

I can only imagine Jeff and the band are feeling really conflicted about this.  I especially worry for Mavis, Sue and others who have health concerns that could make Covid especially dangerous.

I'm not going to SBS, but I do have COVID (probably - I have an appointment for testing later this week) and signed the petition. Hope it works out for everyone. I'm pretty sure I have Omicron, and this stuff is spreading like wildfire!

• Like 1