• Please log in to reply
345 replies to this topic

#21 disco-aussie-wilco

disco-aussie-wilco

A Cherry Ghost

• 38 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 06:31 PM

Oh boy oh boy ...

thanks for this! I can see me d/ling a lot of stuff here in the future!

Cheers!

#22 owl

owl

One Wing

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 07:46 AM

Why?

Ask Gershon too. A couple of years ago(?) that taper Big Red Fat Mike(?) threw up on himself after Gershon blatantly put up some MP3 rips of one of his precious shows. It was kind of funny, but also supremely annoying.

I was thinking, though- now that people can share more and more music via the Internet, and have a reduced need for CDs w/ iPods, etc., filetypes will become increasingly more obvious, because you'll be downloading MP3s or FLACs, and you'll know it, and they'll go onto the iPod or whatever, not the CD.

I see the MP3 argument cooling down in a while. At this point, people just bitch because it's something that they can still whine about.

Also- one reason that I use FLACs on my site is because I only listen to about 5% of what I post, and am therefore too lazy to convert them for downloads. The other is because I like to give people a choice from the get-go. You can always download the FLACs and convert to MP3 if you want, but you can't really upgrade to FLAC from MP3, know what I mean?

#23 Analogman

Analogman

All the Way Back in the Seventies

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 46,032 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 09:09 PM

The other is because I like to give people a choice from the get-go. You can always download the FLACs and convert to MP3 if you want, but you can't really upgrade to FLAC from MP3, know what I mean?

Exactly - they can learn to do this themselves.

#24 Calexico

Calexico

I Must Be high

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,330 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 05:33 AM

I'd like to thank you guys for putting this stuff up. I know how time consuming it is making sure it is all good to go before uploading. Beer and hot dogs for you both!

#25 shackleton

shackleton

A Cherry Ghost

• 19 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 04:16 PM

Ask Gershon too. A couple of years ago(?) that taper Big Red Fat Mike(?) threw up on himself after Gershon blatantly put up some MP3 rips of one of his precious shows.

ha! think i remember that! he taped the cologne/germany 2005 show i attended and posted it on dimeadozen. he pulled the plug after mp3s of that recording appeared on this forum! i nearly suffered a heart-attack, because he stopped to share the recording about 1 minute before i finished the download! he later restarted the torrent, because the mp3s were taken offline again.....crazy good old times! :beer

#26 bobfrombob

bobfrombob

One Wing

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 06:02 PM

Thanks to Owl, Analogman and anybody else who played a role in putting this stuff up!

Cheers

#27 Nonlinear Nonfiction

Nonlinear Nonfiction

Grasshopper Greensnake

• PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 07:15 PM

Looking for Alpha Romeo Tango box set... anyone? anyone?

Much appreciation to the creator of A.R.T. too, I have a copy but it is without the noise track fillers - and as a completist I would like to have them!

#28 Beltmann

Beltmann

On & On & On

• Admin
  • 7,042 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 08:45 PM

ha! think i remember that! he taped the cologne/germany 2005 show i attended and posted it on dimeadozen. he pulled the plug after mp3s of that recording appeared on this forum! i nearly suffered a heart-attack, because he stopped to share the recording about 1 minute before i finished the download! he later restarted the torrent, because the mp3s were taken offline again.....crazy good old times! :beer

I believe that was our good friend Big Ray.

#29 joshsirjoshules

joshsirjoshules

A Cherry Ghost

• 9 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 06:47 PM

I don't understand. Do I have to download all of the songs one by one or is there a way to download them all at once?

#30 owl

owl

One Wing

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 06:58 PM

There is no way to download them all at once, unless you use something like the DownloadThemAll Firefox plugin.

:cheers

#31 jsmith

jsmith

A Cherry Ghost

• 9 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 08:11 AM

THANK YOU. :worship

#32 rrmies

rrmies

A Cherry Ghost

• 12 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 02:13 PM

Thanks guys! I was finally able to get some demos I wanted along with some covers. Very Much appreciated. :thumbup

#33 drag ass snag

drag ass snag

A Cherry Ghost

• 37 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 06:22 AM

Hey

Sorry to ask a stupid question, but how the hell do you use a FLAC? I downloaded the thing, but can't open it in Media Player or iTunes.

If it's a big file I'd like to change it into an mp3 for my ipod, but keep it in best possible quality to burn onto CD. Can someone please tell me how?? (Or tell me how to find out!)

Thanks, and thanks lots for posting all this stuff.

#34 cryptique

cryptique

On & On & On

• 19,967 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 07:18 AM

Hey

Sorry to ask a stupid question, but how the hell do you use a FLAC? I downloaded the thing, but can't open it in Media Player or iTunes.

If it's a big file I'd like to change it into an mp3 for my ipod, but keep it in best possible quality to burn onto CD. Can someone please tell me how?? (Or tell me how to find out!)

Thanks, and thanks lots for posting all this stuff.

Winamp plays FLACs.

FLACs are a lossless audio format, somewhat smaller in size than WAV. The best thing to do with them is to decompress them to WAVs. In Windows, do that using something called the FLAC Frontend (Google it). If you're on a Mac, I'm not sure what you'd use.

Once you have WAVs, obviously you can burn CDs. You can also use any number of programs to produce MP3s from those WAVs. Or, rip the CD you just burned.

For FLAC info, see here.

#35 epifromaustin

epifromaustin

A Cherry Ghost

• 20 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 08:47 AM

Winamp plays FLACs.

FLACs are a lossless audio format, somewhat smaller in size than WAV. The best thing to do with them is to decompress them to WAVs. In Windows, do that using something called the FLAC Frontend (Google it). If you're on a Mac, I'm not sure what you'd use.

Once you have WAVs, obviously you can burn CDs. You can also use any number of programs to produce MP3s from those WAVs. Or, rip the CD you just burned.

For FLAC info, see here.

And for Mac folks, you might want to check out xACT for Mac OS X for the conversions:

http://www.versiontr...fo/macosx/21952

Mark

#36 owl

owl

One Wing

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 08:48 AM

xACT is by far the best Mac client.

:)

#37 evil horn

evil horn

Misunderstood

• PipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 02:17 AM

thanks for putting them back up. so great to fill in some holes and hear the differences on a lot of the stuff.

question -- what's the story behind 'seven year ache'?

#38 owl

owl

One Wing

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 06:57 AM

This is now on the Internets:

Wilco - Complete Singles

#39 Fledderjohn

Fledderjohn

A Cherry Ghost

• 4 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 04:15 PM

first time for me to post here and let me say thank you. What a treat, just discovered Wilco this year.
Bought a ticket to their show here in Cologne, Germany in May. Thanks for the downloads

#40 yankhotelfox

yankhotelfox

Red Eyed & Blue

• PipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 12:00 AM

Thanks for this Owl. It is a nice package. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users