• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#21 chuckrh

chuckrh

Red Eyed & Blue

• PipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 14 March 2020 - 06:47 AM

I appreciate that there are vulnerable segments of society that need resources and special care, but it's not ebola for God's sake.

The vast majority of people will have a bit of a cough and no worse that usual annual flu.

The whole world needs to calm down a bit.

perceptions change when your area is infected. i live in seattle & have a friend in nyc who thought much the same as you. now that nyc is having a problem, the tune has changed considerably. here in seattle the number of infected is doubling every 2 days & there still aren't sufficient test kits so the number is likely to increase greatly & soon. already the hospitals & medical supplies are starting to get overwhelmed. so far, 50 restaurants have closed due to lack of business. the streets are empty, schools across the state have been ordered closed for 6 weeks to try & slow the spread. crowds of over 250 are have been banned. yes, its not ebola but that doesn't mean its not dangerous. this spreads quickly & the mortality rate among the at risk population is 10 times that of the flu. unfortunately, i'm in the at risk category & may have the virus. due to lack of supplies i haven't been able to get a test since i don't have all the symptoms. in the interest of the community i am self isolating until i find out. i am hoping i will be tested next week. if i get pneumonia it will be dangerous as my immune system is compromised. i've had it more than once. doing all i can but it may not be enough. check out some reports from italy, france & spain. iran is even worse but hard news is hard to get. the response by the federal government has been deplorable. initially all they were concerned about was the stock market. well, it appears that "strategy" has backfired. you are not alone in your beliefs but again once your space is more affected it probably will feel more real. not yelling, is very tense times for me.

#22 uncool2pillow

uncool2pillow

The Whole Love

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,794 posts

Posted 14 March 2020 - 12:34 PM

I appreciate that there are vulnerable segments of society that need resources and special care, but it's not ebola for God's sake.

The vast majority of people will have a bit of a cough and no worse that usual annual flu.

We don't need panic, but we do need preparation and "flattening the curve".

#23 ditty

ditty

Red Eyed & Blue

• PipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 14 March 2020 - 04:55 PM

The time is now for social distancing https://medium.com/@...ay-ac21d7fa78b4

#24 ih8music

ih8music

One Wing

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,295 posts

Posted 14 March 2020 - 05:17 PM

the number of infected is doubling every 2 days

and this is the key point.  if left unchecked (i.e. mandatory quarantines like they did in China and Italy) this will get out of hand quickly.

#25 chuckrh

chuckrh

Red Eyed & Blue

• PipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 12:58 AM

from ground zero, USA

#26 remphish1

remphish1

On & On & On

• 6,120 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 09:23 AM

State curfews in Connecticut, NY and NJ what a surreal world we are living in!

#27 ditty

ditty

Red Eyed & Blue

• PipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 02:36 PM

The time is now for social distancing https://medium.com/@...ay-ac21d7fa78b4

https://twitter.com/...624352305303552

#28 gogo

gogo

Smarmy Condescending Hurtful Bitch

• 9,213 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 02:44 PM

https://www.sfgate.c...ed-15135075.php

I am officially sheltering-in-place.

#29 sonnyfeeling

sonnyfeeling

Misunderstood

• PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 03:34 PM

This is not the flu.

Perhaps this story will help. This is not from some Internet rando. The author, Tommy Vietor, is a former policy advisor in the White House:

A friend of mine got #coronavirus. He is younger than me. Played sports in college. Served in the military. As young and healthy as you could be. This is how his wife describes the illness. This is a public health crisis. No one is immune.

The quote from the friend's wife is here:

It started with a headache and a 100 temp on day 1. Day 2 his fever spiked (likes to linger in the 103 range) with bad body aches and chills. The cough started. Days 3 and 4 he got much worse. He was exposed to TB in the military and we were worried about his lungs, so he went on an antibiotic a few days ago. Last night he went on an anti-malaria medication. This evening he took a nosedive again. We are hopeful he will turn a corner here soon -1 am keeping a close eye on his oxygen, heart rate and temp. We are waiting to see how long we need to be in quarantine - will be over 2 weeks. It can be serious - even for the young and healthy.

Or perhaps this article will help:

Longtime health reporter Charles Ornstein says that comparing the novel coronavirus to the flu is dangerously inaccurate. Not one public health expert he trusts has called that comparison valid. Here’s why.

This Coronavirus Is Unlike Anything in Our Lifetime, and We Have to Stop Comparing It to the Flu

#30 KevinG

KevinG

More Like the Moon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,713 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 05:31 AM

Your take is bad.

Here is a example using my county in WI

Some basic math:

Dane County has over 500,000 residents. We are a county with excellent hospitals and health care.

If this virus infects 10% of our population, that is 50,000 people. I have yet to see an epidemiologist predict an infection rate of less than 20%, but let’s stick with 10% for illustrative purposes.

If 5% of those infected develop serious complications requiring breathing support to survive, that is 2500 people.

If only 1% require breathing support to survive, that is 500 people.

There are approximately 110 ventilators in Dane County.

See why this is a big deal?

So it is not about you, or the majority of Americans who will get this and be fine, it is about protecting the most vunerable amongst us.

#31 Albert Tatlock

Albert Tatlock

Flying Burrito Brother

• 6,348 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 10:59 AM

So it is not about you, or the majority of Americans who will get this and be fine, it is about protecting the most vunerable amongst us.

That is precisely why my sentence began as it did, in case you did not read it. Most people should calm down to allow the resources to go to those who need it rather than everything being swamped in a 'me first' chaos. 

#32 chuckrh

chuckrh

Red Eyed & Blue

• PipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 11:09 AM

i can't get a test & am high risk with some symptoms. NBA players & actors don't seem to be having any trouble. lot of propaganda out there to hide the real trouble in the US.

#33 uncool2pillow

uncool2pillow

The Whole Love

• 4,794 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 12:46 PM

i can't get a test & am high risk with some symptoms. NBA players & actors don't seem to be having any trouble. lot of propaganda out there to hide the real trouble in the US.

Your avatar seems partiularly relevant right now. Please take every precaution and stay healthy. It feels weird to go out for walks and get off the sidewalk when walking past others. The best thing I've seen regarding social distancing (which I'm in day 5 of right now, and as a public school teacher in Iowa will continue for at least another 4 weeks) is don't act like you don't want to get the virus, act like you have it already and don't want to spread it to others.

#34 chuckrh

chuckrh

Red Eyed & Blue

• PipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 18 March 2020 - 02:51 AM

Your avatar seems partiularly relevant right now. Please take every precaution and stay healthy. It feels weird to go out for walks and get off the sidewalk when walking past others. The best thing I've seen regarding social distancing (which I'm in day 5 of right now, and as a public school teacher in Iowa will continue for at least another 4 weeks) is don't act like you don't want to get the virus, act like you have it already and don't want to spread it to others.

after trying for over 2 weeks, i'm finally getting tested today. i pointed out that it would seem logical to test at risk people with some of the symptoms. the testing situation in seattle is still dire.

#35 theashtraysays

theashtraysays

High at the Wheel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 18 March 2020 - 05:13 AM

after trying for over 2 weeks, i'm finally getting tested today. i pointed out that it would seem logical to test at risk people with some of the symptoms. the testing situation in seattle is still dire.

Congrats (I think?).  I'm sure it's a relief to be getting some answers.  Hang in there and let us know how it turns out.

Vince

#36 chuckrh

chuckrh

Red Eyed & Blue

• PipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 18 March 2020 - 08:13 AM

Congrats (I think?).  I'm sure it's a relief to be getting some answers.  Hang in there and let us know how it turns out.

Vince

thanks, will do

#37 winterland121072

winterland121072

Red Eyed & Blue

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 18 March 2020 - 10:21 AM

https://www.yahoo.co...-074801407.html

#38 ih8music

ih8music

One Wing

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,295 posts

Posted 18 March 2020 - 10:27 AM

Idiots.  I would be terrified if I (or a loved one) were a senior living near a spring break community.  This is when martial law starts sounding somewhat reasonable.

#39 gogo

gogo

Smarmy Condescending Hurtful Bitch

• 9,213 posts

Posted 18 March 2020 - 12:32 PM

Yes, very glad to hear this.

Idiots.  I would be terrified if I (or a loved one) were a senior living near a spring break community.  This is when martial law starts sounding somewhat reasonable.

My nephew got sent home from his college last weekend.  As you might imagine, kids being told that they have to clear out by the end of the week, and won't be back this term, aren't very good at practicing social distancing...  :yeaahh

#40 Boss_Tweedy

Boss_Tweedy

Dawned On Me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 18 March 2020 - 10:57 PM

Hope everyone is staying healthy and that chuckrh will soon be on the mend (and that his test turned out negative). These are surreal times for sure. There's no roadmap for it, at least not in the U.S. Hopefully we'll get through this together and come out on the other side a better country that's more prepared for such an event. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users