Heavy Metal Drummer

Airline to Heaven

Forget the Flowers

Kingpin

---------------------------------

Ashes of American Flags

War on War

* -- first time played

As you can probably infer from Brianne's excellent setlist report, it was a very enjoyable show tonight in Freddy (is that what people from here call it?). The Playhouse is a nice, intimate theater -- somewhere around 750 capacity -- but people were on their feet from the start and remained that way throughout for the most part.

Personally the highlights for me were obviously the debut of another new song as well as hearing Radio Cure for the first time in ages (even if Jeff had to politely shush a couple of girls talking near the front of the stage during one of the quiet parts). But as far as the new song -- Let's Fight -- we had heard them working on it in soundcheck the other night in Dartmouth. I personally didn't think it would be ready to play for a while yet -- not because it sounded bad, but just because it seemed like the band was still working on it. I was glad to be wrong when the band launched into it tonight.

It's a proggy-sounding tune, kind of reminded me a little of Traffic on first listen. I could be way off base, but that's what first came to mind. There's not any real distinctive soloing, but it just seems of more like an ensemble piece with the keyboards coming through a little more than some of the other new songs. I jotted down some lyrics as best I could and here's what I can decipher at this late hour:

Even though I know you owe me nothing,

I keep hoping that you'll show me something

Tonight

Even though I know I don't deserve you,

I keep thinking this could be so much better

Too

Tonight, let's fight

Let's get this right

Even though you know I came to comfort you,

I cause you pain. That's all I do.

You're right, just fight.

Let's get this right

Let's fight

Anyway, I doubt that it's a finished product at this point and hopefully we'll get to hear more of it in the couple of shows left on this tour. :thumbup

Generally speaking, it was a fun show with good energy. Jeff seemed to be having a good time, bantering with the crowd even a little more than usual. He talked again about how much the band had enjoyed their time in the Maritimes, tried to teach the backing vocals on Heavy Metal Drummer (to somewhat mixed success--he said, based on its effort during Hummingbird, that clapping might have been the audience's strong suit) and once again invited an audience member on stage to explain the whole Kingpin screaming routine. Jeff also thanked most the crowd for standing the whole time, gently needling a couple of guys near the front who had been sitting for most of the time.

What else? Well, Misunderstood was slated to be the closer and that would have been a good choice. I'm not sure if they ran out of time or just decided to end it after War on War, but either way it didn't get played. Oh well. In the end, it didn't detract from the show. Spiders in the middle of the set is always slightly jarring, but rather than fade it out, to their credit, the band did the fake-out ending. And there was a nice segue from What Light right into IATTBYH. It's nice to hear how What Light is coming along. I think it's probably the most immediately likeable of the new songs that have been unveiled so far.

P.S. FYI, I won't be at either the Quebec City or Ottawa fests, so hopefully somebody will post with setlists from there. Didn't want anybody to think I was holding out or anything. :P

always wanted to do this but you cant put that many smilies into a reply :lol

How's this for your "boring" setlist?

Hell Is Chrome :no

new song-What Light> :worship :worship

Radio Cure :worship :worship

new song-Let's Fight* :worship :worship maybe wait till i hear it to judge!

At Least That's What You Said :no

Walken :rock

Theologians :rock

Hummingbird :worship

Airline to Heaven :rock

Forget the Flowers :worship

new song-Let's Fight*

:rock

It's a proggy-sounding tune

:ermm

kind of reminded me a little of Traffic on first listen

:hmm

seems of more like an ensemble piece with the keyboards coming through a little more than some of the other new songs

:no

Oh well. I thought What Light would suck based on the initial impressions someone gave and the lyrics posted so maybe I'll like this one too. Thanks for the reviews.

As you can probably infer from Brianne's excellent setlist report, it was a very enjoyable show tonight in Freddy (is that what people from here call it?). The Playhouse is a nice, intimate theater -- somewhere around 750 capacity -- but people were on their feet from the start and remained that way throughout for the most part.

Personally the highlights for me were obviously the debut of another new song as well as hearing Radio Cure for the first time in ages (even if Jeff had to politely shush a couple of girls talking near the front of the stage during one of the quiet parts). But as far as the new song -- Let's Fight -- we had heard them working on it in soundcheck the other night in Dartmouth. I personally didn't think it would be ready to play for a while yet -- not because it sounded bad, but just because it seemed like the band was still working on it. I was glad to be wrong when the band launched into it tonight.

It's a proggy-sounding tune, kind of reminded me a little of Traffic on first listen. I could be way off base, but that's what first came to mind. There's not any real distinctive soloing, but it just seems of more like an ensemble piece with the keyboards coming through a little more than some of the other new songs. I jotted down some lyrics as best I could and here's what I can decipher at this late hour:

Tonight

Too

Tonight, let's fight

Let's get this right

Let's get this right

Let's fight

Anyway, I doubt that it's a finished product at this point and hopefully we'll get to hear more of it in the couple of shows left on this tour. :thumbup

Generally speaking, it was a fun show with good energy. Jeff seemed to be having a good time, bantering with the crowd even a little more than usual. He talked again about how much the band had enjoyed their time in the Maritimes, tried to teach the backing vocals on Heavy Metal Drummer (to somewhat mixed success--he said, based on its effort during Hummingbird, that clapping might have been the audience's strong suit) and once again invited an audience member on stage to explain the whole Kingpin screaming routine. Jeff also thanked most the crowd for standing the whole time, gently needling a couple of guys near the front who had been sitting for most of the time.

What else? Well, Misunderstood was slated to be the closer and that would have been a good choice. I'm not sure if they ran out of time or just decided to end it after War on War, but either way it didn't get played. Oh well. In the end, it didn't detract from the show. Spiders in the middle of the set is always slightly jarring, but rather than fade it out, to their credit, the band did the fake-out ending. And there was a nice segue from What Light right into IATTBYH. It's nice to hear how What Light is coming along. I think it's probably the most immediately likeable of the new songs that have been unveiled so far.

P.S. FYI, I won't be at either the Quebec City or Ottawa fests, so hopefully somebody will post with setlists from there. Didn't want anybody to think I was holding out or anything. :P

Thanks so much for the excellent reports for this run of shows. Looks like I have yet another one to download.

--Mike

Shame you won't be there; I was thinking I should offer to buy you all the beer you could drink for your setlist reporting above and beyond the call of duty. I am floored by what a great job you do of catching new lyrics first time through and finding effective ways of getting across the "style or feel" of new material.

I have been attending Ottawa fest this week and althought the main stage is really giving me the creeps, I will be attending Saturday night and will provide a report.

Thanks again for great reports (and thanks to Brianne for the setlist for this one)

Hey, does anyone know if there is recording of this show available. Also, thanks for posting the setlist.

I was sitting two rows back from a guy taping (approx 10 rows back, dead center). There were a few screamers in the area so hopefully the recording turns out well and is shared.

For being my first Wilco show I was totally impressed with how tight the guys sounded (it's one thing to hear it on a live disc, another to experience for yourself as I'm sure you all know). Nils is a mad man, the guy doesn't miss a beat and leaves it all on the stage :rock . And Jeff moved around quite a bit for a guy with a cast on his right foot and was pretty chatty (more than I expected).

The sound in that tiny theatre was GREAT!! I like the slow/building openers so Hell is Chrome was a perfect choice to start (contrary to popular opinion I'm sure), and to hear Ashes in the last encore was icing on an already huge and delicious cake.

All in all I thought it was a fantastic show! Thank you Wilco!

:blink Wow.

Again, thanks Paul and Brianne for your spot on reportage. We so appreciate you. :cheekkiss

Lot's of AGIB stuff at this show wow. No Impossible Germany either I think ending the show with Ashes and then War On War is great I think that would be a great way to end the show.

Tonight

Too

Tonight, let's fight

Let's get this right

Let's get this right

Let's fight

Another new song and another great report - Yea!!!! Thanks so much for the lyrics - how do you do it?! :wub

Sounds like a phenomenal show - wish I could have been there. :( Hopefully they'll play the new one and Ashes at the Pines.

:rock

Hey, does anyone know if there is recording of this show available. Also, thanks for posting the setlist.

- Please allow up to at least 1 week before requesting a show. Say for example, don't request the show you just went to the night or a few nights before. Allow tapers time some time.

Nils is a mad man, the guy doesn't miss a beat and leaves it all on the stage :rock .

Nels

Lot of new songs on this tour. It got me to wondering if anyone recalls how many new songs played before "Ghost," didn't find their way onto the album, not including "Panthers" or "Kicking TV." Anyone?

second encore is new, and rather ingenious. though i would have rather ended with Ashes (i like soft endings...), the second encore is refreshing.

second encore is new?