• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Far Away, Super Bowl

Wade Phillips? That's the best Jerry Jones could come up with?

The Dallas Morning News reports the Dallas Cowboys will hire Chargers defensive coordinator Wade Phillips to replace Bill Parcells as head coach.

Phillips has been the head coach of the Broncos' date=' Bills and Falcons and most recently helped San Diego build one of the best defenses in the NFL. The Cowboys may have been interested in Phillips because of his ability to run a 3-4 defense, which they've been trying to implement with mixed results.

Dallas owner Jerry Jones apparently wanted to bring in a defensive coach instead of offensive-minded 49ers coordinator Norv Turner, who was thought by many to be the front-runner for the job.[/quote']

Granted, he's presided over a talented defense with the Chargers, but he's already been chewed up and spat out by the NFL head-coaching grinder a few times already.

Not that I care, mind you. I hate the Cowboys -- always have, always will. :yay

Wade Phillips? That's the best Jerry Jones could come up with?

Granted, he's presided over a talented defense with the Chargers, but he's already been chewed up and spat out by the NFL head-coaching grinder a few times already.

Not that I care, mind you. I hate the Cowboys -- always have, always will. :yay

Year Team Record Postseason

1993 DEN 9-7 0-1

1994 DEN 7-9 None

1998 BUF 10-6 0-1

1999 BUF 11-5 0-1

2000 BUF 8-8 None

I'm not claiming these are HOF numbers, but I think "chewed up and spat out" is inaccurate. I love the Cowboys though so there's that.

• 1 year later...

My mom sent this to me earlier today, and I'm still tearing up over it.

R.I.P. Cope.

Obituary: Cope's career spanned newspapers, magazines, radio and TV

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

By Gene Collier, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Myron Cope, the much-decorated master of the written word, the ever-celebrated sand-blaster of the spoken word, and a pre-eminent Pittsburgh symbol of not only our selves but of our hopes and our innate joyfulness, died today.

Mr. Cope was 79. He had been in declining health since even before his 2005 retirement from the Steelers broadcast booth, where he spent 35 years. The cause of death was given as respiratory failure.

One of the last of the great sports characters, a genuine oasis in a sea of ever homogenizing media-ocrity, Mr. Cope's life and career were nothing less than book-worthy, even if he had to write it himself. Twice.

"Double Yoi" it was called both times, the second an updated version of the original 2002 volume, the title immortalizing one of Cope's signature exclamations, which, along with "Okle-dokle," "Dumbkopf!", and "How do?", became go-to standards of a singular TV and radio language that often seemed entangled in an impossible dichotomy: it was uniquely Cope and yet it was intrinsically Pittsburgh.

"Donair, huh?" an acquaintance once asked of Mr. Cope. "I'll have to check that out; I'm not familiar with a Dallas restaurant named Donair."

Mr. Cope looked confused, perhaps because he himself was the source of the confusion.

"Oh Dallas, yeah," he'd just finished telling the acquaintance. "We went to the great restaurant dahn 'ere!"

National writers and broadcasters all but outdid themselves trying to describe not only Mr. Cope's voice and dialect but his wit, wisdom, and everyman genius, and not even their best attempts delivered the reliable magic of whatever it was Mr. Cope was delivering at the time.

"I've lost the most creative person I've ever known, a loyal and generous friend, and joy to be with," said Joe Gordon, the retired Steelers executive. "His accomplishments were just incredible. The characteristic that I most admired was his intensity to get things done, his durability to hang in there with his book, the DVD, the piece that he did for the City Paper; he really had to labor for those.

"He was such a perfectionist. I'd say to him, 'Myron, all you're doing is changing one sentence and it's taken four days.' "

He was best known as the squawking talisman of Steelers football and had the good fortune of arriving on the scene just as the ballclub was escaping some four decades of losing. Cope hit the glory road sprinting in 1970 and never lost momentum for the next 30 years. Locally, his celebrity dwarfed many of the players, even those of Super Bowl pedigree, and was surpassed by only a very few.

"He was a true celebrity," said Roy McHugh, the former columnist and sports editor of the Pittsburgh Press. "In the '70s, he and I went to closed circuit telecasts of big fights at the Civic Arena. One night as we were leaving we fell in step with [former world light-heavyweight champion] Billy Conn. We couldn't get three or four paces without people wanting Cope's autograph. Conn they ignored."

Regardless of the ever-more-corporate-imaged NFL he'd walked into, Mr. Cope remained a wag and raconteur of a sporting era from the other side of that transition. Though he was riding the new Pittsburgh wave of Dan and Art Rooney Jr.'s strictly business acumen and seasoned football calculations, he still had both feet in the smoke-filled rooms and occasional "toddy's" of Art Rooney Sr.'s world, which thrived on seat-of-the-pants adventurism.

Once at halftime in Cleveland, Cope found his intermission routine interrupted by an occupied restroom on old Municipal Stadium's roof, which is where the radio booths were situated. His long-standing para-military ritual of urinate, get a hot dog, and get back to the action now jeopardized, he improvised. Without being too graphic, let's just say that anyone walking by Municipal Stadium near that portion of the roof in the ensuring minutes had to wonder from where that sudden shower had come.

Born Myron Kopelman in Pittsburgh on Jan. 23, 1929, Mr. Cope lived all but seven months of his life here, the short period in 1951 when he took his first job after graduating from Pitt at the Erie Times, where an editor changed his byline to Cope. His next job was at the Post-Gazette, where his immense writing abilities soon dwarfed his salary, and Myron Cope quickly got the idea that he could do better himself as a free-lancer in the burgeoning sports magazine industry.

"Kid, you'll starve," an editor told him. "You'll be back in a six months."

Mr. Cope's magazine writing took its inevitable place among the nation's very best. In 1963, he won the E.P. Dutton Prize for "Best Magazine Sportswriting in the Nation" for his portrayal of Muhammad Ali, then Cassius Clay.

"Cope's columns in the Post-Gazette were in contrast to what had ever been in the paper, they were dazzling," said Mr. McHugh, himself a writer of immense skills. "In the '60s, there was a certain type of magazine style that no one was ever better at than Myron. He could talk to someone and extract all the humor possible from that person."

In 1987, on the occasion of the Hearst Corp.'s 100th anniversary, Mr. Cope was named as a noted literary achiever, among them Mark Twain, Jack London, Frederick Remington, Walter Winchell and Sidney Sheldon.

His style, simultaneously elegant, robust, and humored, landed him on the original full-time staff of Sports Illustrated, which, with the Saturday Evening Post, became the primary conduits of his work. At its 50th anniversary, Sports Illustrated cited Mr. Cope's profile of Howard Cosell as one of its 50 all-time classic articles. Only Mr. Cope and George Plimpton held the title of special contributor at that magazine when Mr. Cope left due to the demands of his burgeoning radio career, and in no small part due to health insurance concerns as they related to his son, Danny.

Mr. Cope's legendary charitable work, which ultimately led to his being awarded the American Institute for Public Service's Jefferson Award in January 1999, began with his son's enrollment at the Allegheny Valley School, an institution for the profoundly mentally and physically disabled. He served for many years on the board of the Pittsburgh Chapter of the Autism Society of America and the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix, the charity auto race he co-founded, along with the Myron Cope/Foge Fazio Golf Tournament for Autistic Children.

The Terrible Towel, long since a worldwide symbol of Steelers passion and often the Steelers artifact with which Mr. Cope is most identified, is now a trademark that benefits the Allegheny Valley School.

"He was always concerned that his legacy would be the Terrible Towel rather than his writing," said Mr. Gordon, "but his legacy is the joy and pleasure he brought to thousands and thousands of people for 35 years. My brother was dying of cancer in 1977, in really bad shape; that was when Myron had his talk show for only an hour each night. The only thing that would bring a smile to my brother's face or brighten his days was that hour with Myron, and that was still relatively early in his broadcast career."

Though his literary skills were muscular and his broadcast aptitudes somewhat initially debatable at best, Pittsburgh grew to know Mr. Cope far more through the airwaves than from his pristine prose. His WTAE talk show aired for more than 20 years, dominating its time slot. When the Steelers added his voice to their game broadcasts, Mr. Cope thought the only issue was whether he'd have the latitude to be an objective observer. But the only real question was whether there was a frequency that could deliver his signature irascible rasp, gentle and shrill, squeaky and yelpy, often in high emotion fueled by sometimes illogical bursts of excitability.

"He's a horse; he can fly!"

Pegasus?

Mr. Cope wound up broadcasting five Super Bowls and was the only broadcaster appointed to the Pro Football Hall of Fame's Board of Selectors, which he served for 10 years. He became the first pro football announcer elected to the National Radio Hall of Fame, which he considered his greatest broadcast honor, as its honorees include Bob Hope, Edward R. Murrow, Orson Welles and Vin Scully. At the enshrinement dinner in November 2005, he was presented by Steelers Hall of Famer Franco Harris.

It was his broadcasting that opened the many facets of his persona to what grew to be an adoring public. His one-of-a-kind creations, songs and skits and admittedly goofy promotional gimmicks played as though Mr. Cope were Rodney Dangerfield in the late comedy great's Manhattan club. Mr. Cope's annual Christmas Carol, written around the year's general Steelers story line to the tune of Deck the Halls, included unforgettable passages such as "Deck the Broncos; they're just Yonkos," and "Pete Rostoski show 'em who's bosski," all followed with the beloved and routinely inexplicable, "Fug-a-gah-gah-gah, Guh-ga-ga-gah!"

"Another thing about him was his modesty," Mr. Gordon said. "It was unbelievable for a guy as popular and successful as he was, the way he related to people. He always had time for people, always was patient."

For all of this sometimes spastic public theater, Mr. Cope kept his journalist's eye and social critic's perspective on his experience and ours. His beloved wife Mildred, who died in 1994, once asked him after a Steelers playoff loss in Oakland if it was all just too depressing sometimes.

"No," he said. "It's just the way it goes. By the way, what did the vet say about the dog?"

"Gonna need surgery," she reported. "Probably cost $700."

"Now that's depressing," Myron said.

Mr. Cope's final months depressed many of his friends. He'd overcome some misdiagnosed back trouble a few years ago and was able to extend his Steelers career, but his health began failing in stages not long after he retired. Until his final weeks, which he spent in intensive care, it was confidently said of Myron Cope that he enjoyed life immensely and had little patience for those who didn't.

In its collective ear today, Pittsburgh can virtually hear his signature sign-off.

"Bye now!"

Mr. Cope is survived by two children, Daniel and Elizabeth A. Cope. Another daughter, Martha Ann, is deceased.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3276034

Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre has decided to retire.

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported that according to Favre's agent, Buss Cook, Favre informed Packers coach Mike McCarthy of his decision Monday night.

Foxsports.com first reported Favre's decision.

A sure-fire first-ballot Hall of Famer, Favre, acquired in a trade with the Atlanta Falcons, led the Packers back to the NFL's elite. He retires with 5,377 carrer completions in 8,758 attempts for 61,655 yards, 442 touchdowns and 288 interceptions.

Cook said as of Tuesday morning, there were no plans for Favre to hold a news conference.

Favre, who returned for the 2007 season when many thought he should have left the game, had a career renaissance in his final season and led the Packers to the NFC Championship Game, where they lost to the eventual Super Bowl champion New York Giants in overtime.

Mortensen reported that Favre, who wanted the Packers to obtain Randy Moss when he was a free agent last season, had once again pushed for Moss to join the Packers. Favre had spoken to Moss late last week and was willing to commit to more than just this season if Moss and the Packers could come to an agreement. But the Packers did not pursue Moss, who re-signed with the Patriots on Monday.

ESPN NFL reporter Chris Mortensen contributed to this story

Sorry to hear about Favre, but thrilled to know that the Steelers have got Big Ben locked down. :cheers

I'm happy to see this clause in Ben's contract:

The contract also contains a standard clause that forbids Roethlisberger from participating in "hazardous activities." While the clause does not list each activity, among the examples it cites are riding motorcycles, with or without a helmet.

:lol

I wouldn't even let the guy drive a car, and I guess with the money he's going to make, he won't have to.

I wouldn't even let the guy drive a car, and I guess with the money he's going to make, he won't have to.

...or mow his lawn, or shovel his driveway, or carry full laundry baskets down flights of stairs...

...or mow his lawn, or shovel his driveway, or carry full laundry baskets down flights of stairs...

nothing. let him eat, work out, practice, then keep him in stasis until game time.

Man, is Ben worth 100 mil, though? He's a good QB, but I can't see him as a $100 million man. Good for him, and as the Dolphins have shown a franchise QB is essential, but it might be a bit much for that QB.

Man, is Ben worth 100 mil, though? He's a good QB, but I can't see him as a $100 million man. Good for him, and as the Dolphins have shown a franchise QB is essential, but it might be a bit much for that QB.

Have you taken economics yet at that fancy-pants college you attend?

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/column...ton//index.html

On draft day at Valley Ranch 11 months ago, the son turned to the father -- both giddy from the trade they had just made -- and conjectured an intriguing possibility.

"Do you realize," Stephen Jones said to Jerry Jones, "that this pick could end up being [Darren] McFadden?"

They hee-hawed, or called the Hogs, or whatever it is that millionaire ex-Arkansas Razorbacks do these days, and son Stephen's suggestion, I'm guessing, was then filed away in a drawer somewhere.

But not too far away. You don't have to know how to call the Hogs to like Darren McFadden.

Some have said that McFadden, a two-time Heisman Trophy runner-up, has the size, strength and speed to be the next Adrian Peterson. And they would be wrong.

McFadden is better than Peterson. And he'll be a more valuable NFL running back because he's more durable.

I don't base this on my experience playing Madden 2007 or the college version, like some self-styled draft gurus do. I certainly didn't come to this conclusion after watching McFadden and his poorly prepared Razorbacks teammates get drilled in the Cotton Bowl.

No, I watched him play. My TiVo has a season pass for Southeastern Conference football. I've seen McFadden play in person.

I also saw, once upon a time, Tony Dorsett run with a football. And Emmitt Smith.

And as Dorsett and Smith both did for the Cowboys' franchise, McFadden can, too. He is that good.

Fast. Versatile. Explosive. McFadden gets to enemy linebackers so quickly, it sometimes appears as if he's running straight at them. Yet, he's as elusive as Emmitt ever was and faster than Dorsett.

Trade up to draft McFadden? The Cowboys should consider such a deal only if.... only if they wish one day to return to the Super Bowl.

The Cowboys of the 1970s already had Roger Staubach. But drafting Dorsett in 1977 helped them to win a Super Bowl the very next season.

In 1990, the Cowboys already had Troy Aikman. But drafting Smith completed the puzzle. "The Triplets" won three Super Bowls.

You don't need superstars to win in today's NFL. It is, however, still the smart way to build your team.

Superstar quarterback Tom Brady had superstar receiver Randy Moss to throw to last season, and the New England Patriots went 16-0 during the regular season. Anybody want to guess what the Cowboys' record would have been had they played half the season without star Terrell Owens?

McFadden, in other words, is worth trading up for. He is worth four high draft picks, just as Dorsett was 31 years ago. He is worth two No. 1 picks. He is worth, yes, whatever the Dolphins' new vice-president, Bill Parcells, fishes for.

Well, almost whatever.

The draft choice that Stephen and Jerry Jones were chortling about 11 months ago, Cleveland's 2008 No. 1 pick, was destined to be devalued. Congratulations are in order for the Browns, who had a surprising 10-6 season.

The Cowboys, as a result, have the first round's 22nd and 28th picks, and two schools of thought have emerged. They could wait their turns, keep both picks, and draft the best cornerback and wide receiver that falls into their laps.

Or they could trade both first-round picks -- and more -- for the chance to move up in the draft and select McFadden.

The most frequently mentioned third party on the Cowboys' end has been running back Marion Barber.

Let the teeth-gnashing begin. Cowboys fans love Barber. They love his style. He runs with conviction. Tony Romo might have provided the magic behind the team's 13-3 regular season, but Barber, they say, provided the soul.

True, Barber is fun to watch. And let's all hope that he had fun at the Pro Bowl.

But he's no Darren McFadden. Just as Indiana's Anthony Thompson, who finished second in the Heisman Trophy voting in 1989, was no Emmitt Smith, who placed seventh.

If Parcells wants the two No. 1s and Marion Barber for the chance to select McFadden, the Cowboys need to be prepared to shout yes. It's pricey, yes, and if the Cowboys can somehow hold onto Cleveland's No. 1 and substitute their own 2009 first-round pick, they need to.

But passing up the once-in-10-years chance to select a McFadden, just because you like Barber's grit? You're fooling yourself.

The last time I attended a Pro Bowl, Mike Boryla was at quarterback. Never heard of him? That's my point.

Barber might never make another one. McFadden is probably going to play in at least 10. If you prowl the Internet, there are highlight clips aplenty that star McFadden. Go see for yourself.

Cheaper alternatives at running back are said to be available -- Illinois' Rashard Mendenhall, Oregon's Jonathan Stewart and McFadden's Hogs teammate, Felix Jones. But didn't Jones learn anything from drafting Julius Jones?

In today's NFL, a team still wins with superstars. The Cowboys' own franchise history tells us that it's always been so.

If Parcells calls, Owner Jones needs to listen. And then he can call the Hog.