• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know - I read somewhere recently that he feels Love Is Hell is his best work.

i'm just not super big on Ryan's brooding/mellow/darker piano driven work, that's probably my least favorite of all the styles he encompasses...

I can understand that - I am not much for the piano stuff - but I prefer the dark songs.

1. Goodnight Rose

2. Everybody Knows - Elizabethtown Sessions -

3. The Sun Also Sets

4. Halloween Head

5. Off Broadway - The Suicide Handbook -

6. Two Hearts

7. Tears Of Gold

8. These Girls

9. Two - Elizabethtown Sessions --

10. I Taught Myself How To Grow Old

11. Oh My God,Whatever, Etc.

12. Rip Off

13. Pearls On A String

Aww shit

One and a half stars

Three records sold

My record went balsa wood

In India or someplace that I'm not from

You know what I'm saying man?

And then the guy goes: "His records are very overlong and sappy.

Basically, he's alternative country, but crappy."

oof.

of all the ones to pick as his top 2?

especially 29? :unsure

29 is a highly underrated album in my opinion. 'nightbirds', 'blue sky blues', 'carolina rain' and 'starlite diner' are all great tunes! perhaps they could have been better if they were fleshed out with the cardinals, but i agree with analogman, his darkest music is some of my favourite. and yes analogman, ryan recently stated that love is hell is the best music he has ever written.

having said that, despite being very hard pressed to pick a favourite, cold roses and jacksonville city nights are contenders for my favourite ryan albums :thumbup

29 is a highly underrated album in my opinion. 'nightbirds', 'blue sky blues', 'carolina rain' and 'starlite diner' are all great tunes! perhaps they could have been better if they were fleshed out with the cardinals, but i agree with analogman, his darkest music is some of my favourite. and yes analogman, ryan recently stated that love is hell is the best music he has ever written.

having said that, despite being very hard pressed to pick a favourite, cold roses and jacksonville city nights are contenders for my favourite ryan albums :thumbup

Did you get the last pm I sent you?

I listened to 29 maybe twice... stuck it in the corner next to REM's Reveal... two albums where i expected a lot more, but failed to deliver anything of substance.

Digging the new cd... Favs remain 1) Cold Roses 2) Heartbreaker 3) Jacksonville

Love Is Hell had it's moments along with 2-3 tracks from Gold... RnR... err... the only song i like is 'So Alive' and that is only when i am running.

Maybe that is the deal - just like our wildly different views on U2 and REM, Ryan has something for everyone.

It is at least nice to see people pick something other than Heartbreaker all the time.

29 is EASILY Ryan's weakest full length album for me... easily

the only great song for me is Carolina Rain. there's a few OK songs, Nighbirds, and some others, but overall, it's such a total mixed bag and has absolutely no flow whatsoever, and the times where it feels like it might are mostly because they're slow/dull numbers such as the excruciatingly long Strrawberry Wine.

it's far from underrated... it feels like a mash up of sessions (even though it's not) and lacks any focus.

Demolition, which is a compilation of sessions, feels more cohesive and flows better even.

It is at least nice to see people pick something other than Heartbreaker all the time.
I've listened to Ryan Adams for many a year now and until Cold Roses, I really liked Gold the best. Call me crazy. I'm excited to hear the new record, I think I'm gonna hold off, at least until a really good rip comes out.

although it's difficult for ryan to do something that i don't love, this album is... amazing. i'm currently on about my 4th listen for the day. i put on "gold" just a bit ago and got about halfway through before the "easy tiger" drew me back in. :lol it's incredible. the only track that hasn't captivated me (yet) is "off broadway".

i get to see him at red rocks in less than 2 months!!!! :dancing

i think i said it in the np thread, but at any rate... pearls on a string = :love i adore the alt.countryish vibe of this album. so, so good. :wub

although it's difficult for ryan to do something that i don't love, this album is... amazing. i'm currently on about my 4th listen for the day. i put on "gold" just a bit ago and got about halfway through before the "easy tiger" drew me back in. :lol it's incredible. the only track that hasn't captivated me (yet) is "off broadway".

i get to see him at red rocks in less than 2 months!!!! :dancing

i think i said it in the np thread, but at any rate... pearls on a string = :love i adore the alt.countryish vibe of this album. so, so good. :wub

yeah, i'm not totally sold on Off Broadway either... that melody is super cheesy.

oh, and does the melody to "Tears of Gold" remind anyone else of Lu's "Concrete & Barbed Wire"?

What is the the correct order for the tracks on this? I've seen at least 3 different versions.

The order on the torrent from Oink matches the order listed on itunes, but that doesn't match the order on Amazon or the Plan 9 music website that has the clips. In addtion there is a third version on answeringbell.com. :stunned

Is there a possibility that there are promo copies floating around with different running orders?

Regardless this is a great record. My only complaint is that it is going to be hard for me to get use to the new versions of "Hey There Miss Lovely" and "Off Broadway". Still trying to get used to the redone version of "For Beth" at the end of Cold Roses 2 years later...

In other news Pearls On A String is beautiful.

I never really liked Off Broadway on Suicide Handbook and its the one song on here im not completely sold by. And as much as I love These Girls I can't get the lyrics to Hey There Mrs Lovely or whatever the song used to be called out of my head - still a great song though! Im totally addcited to the album though - its nice to get an RA album that isn't bloated like a lot of his other releases are. Short and concise - brilliant stuff. Think Halloween Head is still up there as one of my favourite tracks on there.

The track order from Oink matches the one from Demonoid. Here's that:

Track Listing

-------------

1. Goodnight Rose (3:20)

2. Two (2:39)

3. Everybody Knows (2:26)

4. Halloweenhead (3:23)

5. Oh My God, Whatever, Etc. (2:33)

6. Tears Of Gold (2:55)

7. The Sun Also Sets (4:11)

8. Off Broadway (2:32)

9. Pearls On A String (2:25)

10. Rip Off (3:12)

11. Two Hearts (3:03)

12. These Girls (2:52)

13. I Taught Myself How To Grow Old (3:21)

Total Playing Time: 38:58 (min:sec)