I listened to about a dozen Gram Parsons tunes last night from GP and Grievous Angel. I'll take Ryan and Gillian Welch's version of "Return of the Grievous Angel" from Exit/In over the studio track any old day.

While I certainly hear an influence, Ryan has a style of his own and has definitely added some instrumentation that is not present in Parsons' music. Not to mention the scores of songs he's written that bear no relation to Parsons whatsoever.

Thank you What Light? for helping urge on a renewed interest in Ryan Adams for me.

:cheers

Ryan Adams is widely considered the biggest copycat in the music industry. I can't believe this thread hs 44 pages. Astonishing when you consider the best alt.country album of the year "Salvation Blues" by Mark Olson got about three replies. I guess the Starbucks crowd does win in the end.

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess the Starbucks crowd does win in the end.

I'm pretty sure the flaming troll douchebags are holding strong. I would hold out on pronouncing a winner just yet.

I wonder if folks like Jeff and Ryan throw up a little in their mouths whenever they see someone throwing out the "alt.country" tag in posts like yours.

Ryan Adams is widely considered the biggest copycat in the music industry. .

Please quote your sources.

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure the flaming troll douchebags are holding strong. I would hold out on pronouncing a winner just yet.

I wonder if folks like Jeff and Ryan throw up a little in their mouths whenever they see someone throwing out the "alt.country" tag in posts like yours.

"Throwing up in their mouths" is a far more cliched tag than "alt.country".

Some of you must have been living in a cave the last few years. To act surprised by this news means you haven't really been paying attention to the music scene.

Apparently, it's a big cave. With lots of people. Who disagree with you.

Surprised?

Please show your work.

not to really get involved again because frankly Ryan Adams is just not worth it........................I did however have a question for you.............you always ask people to show "their work" on claims made about an artist if it is not what a few regular clickish posters think...............but why don't you "show your work" to prove that he is not?...........imo for you to have an opinion he is not.............needs as much proof as one who claims he is..............looks like someone would rather not seek out the cold hard truth about their god..............

not to really get involved again because frankly Ryan Adams is just not worth it........................I did however have a question for you.............you always ask people to show "their work" on claims made about an artist if it is not what a few regular clickish posters think...............but why don't you "show your work" to prove that he is not?...........imo for you to have an opinion he is not.............needs as much proof as one who claims he is..............looks like someone would rather not seek out the cold hard truth about their god..............

First of all, I don't "always" ask people to show their work. I don't know how you got that impression. However, if someone makes a claim, one should back it up. He's the one claiming Ryan Adams is regarded as a copycat; the onus is on him to prove his point. How would I go about proving that he's not regarded as a copycat? Why would an article say "Ryan Adams did NOT copy the style of Gram Parsons on this record"?

You also seem to have a real need to view everyone here as an adversary, and I don't know what that's all about. I listen to Ryan Adams occasionally. Some of his stuff I like, some of it I don't. I'd hardly call him a god; he's just a guy who makes records. Why would I have to regard Ryan Adams as a god in order to defend him against what I see as unfair statements? Jesus, over the years, I've defended the Counting Crows, Letters to Cleo, even Paris fucking Hilton. ;)

I simply asked Orkie (widely considered the biggest troll at ViaChicago) to back up his claim that Ryan Adams is "widely considered the biggest copycat in the music industry," which is something I have not seen. He should be able to provide examples, if such a claim is so widespread.

I simply asked Orkie (widely considered the biggest troll at ViaChicago) to back up his claim that Ryan Adams is "widely considered the biggest copycat in the music industry," which is something I have not seen. He should be able to provide examples, if such a claim is so widespread.

Can you please back up your claim that Orkie is "widely considered the biggest troll at ViaChicago"? This is something I have not seen*. You should be able to provide examples, if such a claim is so widespread.

* - Oh yes I have.

Looks like someone ordered a Grande Sass-o-ccino this morning.

Please show your work.

regular clickish posters

You also seem to have a real need to view everyone here as an adversary, and I don't know what that's all about. I listen to Ryan Adams occasionally. Some of his stuff I like, some of it I don't. I'd hardly call him a god; he's just a guy who makes records. Why would I have to regard Ryan Adams as a god in order to defend him against what I see as unfair statements? Jesus, over the years, I've defended the Counting Crows, Letters to Cleo, even Paris fucking Hilton. ;)

yeah I am gonna be defensive..............when I came on a thread about Ryan Adams and posted what I thought of the album and got blasted like N Sync broke up or something...............when it was just my opinion...........I was asked to cite examples of people or critics saying this same opinion..........so I did...........I was asked what songs sound like Gram's from his work.............named Ryan's off Easy Tiger and Gram's..............to show similarities.............however it is funny...........if a comment is an opinion not with the clickish norm.............they must show examples................when imo if you are going to defend someone and disregard so many opinions..............you too should prove why...........in all fairness...........but yeah if people are gonna come after to me for having an opinion and defending it...............then yeah that is how you will think I am............btw..........I would defend Adam Duritz anytime...........as I would many of the bands from that era(Gin Blossoms........Cranberries.....etc)...........