Is there a better band in music today?

I know I'm preaching to the choir...

1. Great lyrics, songwriting, & musicianship

2. They great live

3. They make unbelieveable studio records

4. They change their sound w/ each record

5. They make albums in a CD/MP3 age

6. They release records for their fans to hear 2.5 months before the scheduled release date

Am I missing anything?

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say the only other band is Pearl Jam. Though their music doesn't change as much.

I would love to see them together live, such contrast but both bands love their music I think it would magical.

I'd put The Arcade Fire up there with them, but other than that these guys are pretty much at the top of the game.

Others who I would put up there with them:

Radiohead

The Flaming Lips

Beck

The Decemberists.

I'd put The Arcade Fire up there with them, but other than that these guys are pretty much at the top of the game.

Others who I would put up there with them:

Radiohead

The Flaming Lips

Beck

The Decemberists.

agree on flaming lips and beck...dont really listen to decemberists or the arcade fire...the only band i would add is my morning jacket

Nobody can touch 'em. At least that I've heard.

Gotta love the Lips though. I wonder what Syd Barrett would have thought of those guys...if he would have been listening to music at all.

I don't think any other current band comes close to Wilco. The closest comparison I can make as far as quality of music and the perpetual winning streak would be Led Zeppelin. Every Zep album was great start to finish, Wilco shares that feat. Never a bad song, never a stinker album, each album different from the last but consistantly building a legacy.

The Arcade Fire has the odd good song, but there's no way on earth they are anywhere near as good as Wilco.

I don't want to get into this right now, but "the odd good song"? Really?

I'd put these first two albums up against anyone's and I think they'd come out ahead 99% of the time.

They're the kind of band that, you hear their song on the radio, and you think it's good but when you hear the entire record, you realize it was the only good song on it. I don't understand what people hear in this garbage. They're also the type of band that smashes their guitars on stage, just cause. But, hey! Whatever floats your boat! Who knows, maybe 10 years from now I'll look back and hear what I was missing in those records, but for now, I'll take my Wilco and Beck records.

They're the kind of band that, you hear their song on the radio, and you think it's good but when you hear the entire record, you realize it was the only good song on it. I don't understand what people hear in this garbage. They're also the type of band that smashes their guitars on stage, just cause. But, hey! Whatever floats your boat!

Townshend_Tinitus_04.jpg

The Who were the type of band who routinely destroyed all of their equipment. I think I can safely say they were pretty damn good "boat floaters".

I'm not going to get into a debate about it, but I'll just leave it with this: If you are going to judge the Arcade Fire by one song, or one performance, then you are going to miss out on a once in a generation-type of talent. But, hey! Whatever floats your boat!

Wilco is in a league of their own, though I think the most exciting band today is Deerhoof, and that might have something to do with how, in the time Wilco recorded four studio albums, they've done eight albums. They're the only band I can think off the top of my head that keeps an album a year pace (year and three months for the new one, but they lost a member). I like all their albums, but their prolific nature makes it easier to get into (or forgive) any area they explore. Don't like it, just wait. If I end up disliking Sky Blue Sky on the other hand, it's been three years since I've had new Wilco, and if the pattern holds, half a decade would go by since AGIB until they potentially impress me again.

Not complaining about Wilco, they always impress, and if it took them ten years to come up with another AGIB-level album, i wouldn't complain. Not so for the younger bands though, who I think drag their feet and try too hard at forcing their version of Pet Sounds when it's only their first or second time in a studio. Deerhoof have tried some radically different approaches to recording for each album (Apple O recorded in 9 hours, so the story goes), and they don't look back. I know this band isn't everyone's cup of tea, but for the fan, there is a lot to love.

Of all the new-timers out there (i.e., artists that came along after the '80s), there are only a few bands that are still together who I'd rank alongside the boys. MMJ, Arcade Fire, Spoon, and maybe a few more.

They're the kind of band that, you hear their song on the radio, and you think it's good but when you hear the entire record, you realize it was the only good song on it.

Yeeeeah. No offense, but you clearly don't know what the fuck you're talking about. TAF makes albums. More so than Wilco, certainly. In fact, they're probably the quintessential Album Band of the decade.

I'm okay with you not liking them for personal or aesthetic reasons, but I think you're going to a have a hard time finding supporters based on this weird rationale.

6. They release records for their fans to hear 2.5 months before the scheduled release date

Did they release the record? Because I was under the understanding that they only gave about 75 copies to the top music critics in the country. I thought one of them leaked the album.

I don't think any other current band comes close to Wilco. The closest comparison I can make as far as quality of music and the perpetual winning streak would be Led Zeppelin. Every Zep album was great start to finish, Wilco shares that feat. Never a bad song, never a stinker album, each album different from the last but consistantly building a legacy.

That's a good comparison, even though the styles are very different. I might respectfully disagree with "In Through The Out Door" though.

ITTOD came out when I was 18. I recall being disappointed with that record (especially since the previous one, "Presence" is just about the best rock guitar album of all time imo). Also, just when I would have been old enough to go see 'em, Bonzo died & I never did get to see 'em. :ohwell

The thing that impresses me so much about Wilco is (like you said) the quality & the care that goes into crafting a great record. More than many other bands, from any era, the albums just stand up to repeated listenings.

The Who were the type of band who routinely destroyed all of their equipment. I think I can safely say they were pretty damn good "boat floaters".

I'm not going to get into a debate about it, but I'll just leave it with this: If you are going to judge the Arcade Fire by one song, or one performance, then you are going to miss out on a once in a generation-type of talent. But, hey! Whatever floats your boat!

You missed my point, my friend! The Who smashed their instruments in the passion of the moment. That song they played before he smashed his guitar was not an intense rock master piece. It's a good tune, I won't lie, but it's not a guitar-smashing tune. Do you see Wilco smashing their guitars after Heavy Metal Drummer? No way. Maybe I am missing out on "generation-type of talent" (though I sincerely doubt it), and I have heard both their records, but there's only a few moments that impress me.

I'm not saying their shitty either. I'm just saying, Wilco's got 6 albums now, the mermaid avenue albums, not to mention Tweedy's work with Uncle Tupelo, and it's all fucking solid. It's beyond just "solid". The Arcade Fire, can't match that.

I'm okay with you not liking them for personal or aesthetic reasons, but I think you're going to a have a hard time finding supporters based on this weird rationale.

Thinking a band has mediocre songs is weird rationale? They may be an album band but I've seen their videos on Much Music and heard that Rebellion song (and their new single) many many times. I like those songs (well, most of them) but the rest of the album is a stinker.

You missed my point, my friend! The Who smashed their instruments in the passion of the moment. That song they played before he smashed his guitar was not an intense rock master piece. It's a good tune, I won't lie, but it's not a guitar-smashing tune. Do you see Wilco smashing their guitars after Heavy Metal Drummer? No way. Maybe I am missing out on "generation-type of talent" (though I sincerely doubt it), and I have heard both their records, but there's only a few moments that impress me.

I'm not saying their shitty either. I'm just saying, Wilco's got 6 albums now, the mermaid avenue albums, not to mention Tweedy's work with Uncle Tupelo, and it's all fucking solid. It's beyond just "solid". The Arcade Fire, can't match that.

From what I got out of it, the guitar smash was more out of frustration from the guitar giving him problems, and him not being able to hear it.

The Who also had an energy and sense of danger/unexpected that The Arcade Fire lacks (at least in that performance), the smashing would be the climax. Win smashed his (acoustic?) guitar after their performance in the most premeditated fashion imaginable. It was lame and it speaks to the melodramatic nature of the band that has kept me from buying their records. I will be giving them further chances as I can stomach it, but (like the decemberists) I may have to forget who I'm listening to while I listen to it.

edit: haha, i'm a little slow

Thinking a band has mediocre songs is weird rationale? They may be an album band but I've seen their videos on Much Music and heard that Rebellion song (and their new single) many many times. I like those songs (well, most of them) but the rest of the album is a stinker.

Well, that's just like your opinion, man. [/Lebowski]

Funeral is pretty singular work, so forgive me for saying that I absolutely fail to understand how you could possibly like Rebellion (Lies) even a teeny-tiny bit without liking the rest of the (almost unanimously) acclaimed record. Since you've already got a foot in the door, I'd suggest listening to it again. It's pretty immediate stuff, but it's been cited as a grower by more than one person, certainly. Wilco's my favourite band, but I think it's far better than any single effort of theirs. I could say the same about Neon Bible, too. They're a helluva talent, and our country's finest band since THE Band, rather easily. I say give 'em another go.

Dude, I wanted to like this band. I listened to that album a bunch when it came out. You know what, because of this topic, I will listen to Funeral again, just for you, my friend! If I like it, I will eat my shoe and issue an apology, if not, I will go along my merry way.

What wilco has done in their careers truly amazes me. They are making extremely quality music in an era that is clearly lacking in musical quality. This lack in musical quality for the most part equals big bucks, at least from what i can see. Wilco cares about the music--that goes without saying. Another band that i think is similar to wilco is Built to Spill. An amazing band if u like guitar rock. They dont make much money. They made their way into the music scene the hard way. Their tunes share some similar pop aspects that wilco songs do. They are my two favorite bands.

1. Great lyrics, songwriting, & musicianship

2. They great live

3. They make unbelieveable studio records

4. They change their sound w/ each record

Honestly, to me Tool and Rammstein fall into these categories. They both are awesome! :rock