Does anyone like Shake It Off?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really dislike the instrumental part during the "shake it off" section, the sloppy descending 2nds are annoyingly atonal and destroy the rhythmic groove established...

I can see jeff really playing up some lyrics live though... "so many hearts beating in one place"

On further reflection, once this one gets bedded in on the live shows I can foresee an almighty jam session/audience participation...it could go on for days, you could build a house and still get back for the end jam. :dancing

I just don't like the melody. That piano riff and the guitar slides in the chorus just sound all wrong to me. I wish LNGCA or Let's Fight made the cut instead.

I was one of the people hoping and praying that the studio would really alter and improve these songs for the better. I remember threads earlier with some people who were in the same camp, but we reasoned that the studio has usually made everything better. To me, one of the differences between this record and YHF is that (I'm speculating here) while the songs on YHF went through so many different versions and the band tinkered with different arrangements and sounds (which is why the demos remain such an engaging liste eventually yielding and awesome result, I just can't see the SBS songs being played any other way or undergoing the same process. I don't know if Jeff and co. didn't make the effort of deconstructing them or if the songwriting is just weaker this time out. Oh well, here's hoping I will enjoy the live versions of SBS material more.

This is one of my favorites from sbs for sure. It was one of the initial songs that i just couldnt stop listening to after hearing sbs in its entirety. Great riffing guitar and organ all around. Amazing song. A little different, but i really dig it--just like the restl of sbs.

I really dislike the instrumental part during the "shake it off" section, the sloppy descending 2nds are annoyingly atonal and destroy the rhythmic groove established...

I'm not just trying to be argumentative, but every time I hear this song in my head I hear those awesomely discordant 2nds.... way playful for a Wilco riff. I'm hoping high quality audio when I buy the album can give Kotche's drums the punch they need on this song.

I don't know if Jeff and co. didn't make the effort of deconstructing them or if the songwriting is just weaker this time out.

I think part of the point of this record was not to deconstruct everything in sight. YHF was fascinating for the way the songs were broken down and tweaked and twisted--it was refreshing and different, but it can get old just like anything else. After a while its gotta be refreshing to write a song and just let it be and not feel compelled to mess with it.

I think part of the point of this record was not to deconstruct everything in sight. YHF was fascinating for the way the songs were broken down and tweaked and twisted--it was refreshing and different, but it can get old just like anything else. After a while its gotta be refreshing to write a song and just let it be and not feel compelled to mess with it.

This may be true, but in my opinion the songs suffer for it. In general there seems to be a pretty positive reaction for this album so I guess it works for most.

i can't see anyone not liking it either. it was one of my favs back when i was listening to the live debuts. the only complaint is that i think the live versions had more bite to them. combine this with that partial Tweedy interview that was posted yesterday where he said the live versions of the song were going to kick ass and you gotta wonder what happened...

-justin

i can't see anyone not liking it either. it was one of my favs back when i was listening to the live debuts. the only complaint is that i think the live versions had more bite to them. combine this with that partial Tweedy interview that was posted yesterday where he said the live versions of the song were going to kick ass and you gotta wonder what happened...

The parts that are good are very good, but the parts that aren't are pretty bad. I haven't listened to the official version of the song in a while but from what I remember it's it's like a pile of burning tires in the middle of what's otherwise a pretty smooth flowing record. Maybe it'll be great live (and it's kind of sad that they can't manage to translate how good they can be live onto the records, that's another post) but on the record? Yeah, kinda sucks.

It kind of reminds me of the song Adam Sandler performs for Drew Barrymore in "The Wedding Singer," you know, the one where he sings "....Oh somebody kill me please, I'm on my knees, pretty pretty please, kill meeeeee, I want to die, put a bullet in my heeaaaeeeaaaaaddd."

It kind of reminds me of the song Adam Sandler performs for Drew Barrymore in "The Wedding Singer," you know, the one where he sings "....Oh somebody kill me please, I'm on my knees, pretty pretty please, kill meeeeee, I want to die, put a bullet in my heeaaaeeeaaaaaddd."

Sir, one more outburst from you and I will strangle you with my microphone wire.