Has Jeff Tweedy ever talked about Huey Lewis?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Huey Lewis & the News...the Hootie & the Blowfish of the '80's

:barf

sports is an amazing album start to finish.

"Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83,I think they really came into their own, commercial and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consumate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far much more bitter, cynical sense of humor. "

"Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83,I think they really came into their own, commercial and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consumate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far much more bitter, cynical sense of humor. "

It does not surprise me that people would like them here.

He has a connection with Elvis Costello - do you know what the connection is?

under 40 posts one should just shut and watch. respect your elders. they know the way to message board magic.

Yeah and they know the way to not having a life. Having lots of posts doesn't make you an elitist has much as you want it to. It just means you have alot of time on your hands and you don't have much of a life outside a computer.

Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has got one. But in every message board there is your going to have jerks who think they are better than everybody else and also think they are bigger fans.

Huey Lewis & the News...the Hootie & the Blowfish of the '80's

:barf

Agreed, but who's the Hootie of this decade? Maybe Coldplay or are they slightly less lame than Hootie and Huey?

Huey came into a restaurant I was working in and thought he was the shit. He just chain smoked and tried hard

to look cool. He was wearing a sportsjacket that screamed "it's hip to be square."

"Is that a raincoat you're wearing?"

"Why yes it is!"

"Did you know that Whitney Houston's debut LP, called simply Whitney Houston had 4 number one singles on it? It's hard to choose a favorite among so many great tracks, but "The Greatest Love of All" is one of the best, most powerful songs ever written about self-preservation, dignity. Its universal message crosses all boundaries and instills one with the hope that it's not too late to better ourselves. Since it's impossible in this world we live in to empathize with others, we can always empathize with ourselves. It's an important message, crucial really. And it's beautifully stated on the album."

Awesome.

"Did you know that Whitney Houston's debut LP, called simply Whitney Houston had 4 number one singles on it? It's hard to choose a favorite among so many great tracks, but "The Greatest Love of All" is one of the best, most powerful songs ever written about self-preservation, dignity. Its universal message crosses all boundaries and instills one with the hope that it's not too late to better ourselves. Since it's impossible in this world we live in to empathize with others, we can always empathize with ourselves. It's an important message, crucial really. And it's beautifully stated on the album."

"Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Christy, take off your robe. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. Sabrina, remove your dress. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Sabrina, why don't you, uh, dance a little. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Christy, get down on your knees so Sabrina can see your asshole. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. Sabrina, don't just stare at it, eat it. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite."