More on the "controversy"

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe that you all are justifying people selling something beautiful and powerful--art, a song, or batch of songs to a CAR COMMERCIAL!!!

Where's the line?

"Did you trade your heroes for ghosts?"

Every song they sing is suspect from now and forever.

Sorry. Don't tell me to get over it. Get over your justifications.

I can't believe that you all are justifying people selling something beautiful and powerful--art, a song, or batch of songs to a CAR COMMERCIAL!!!

Where's the line?

"Did you trade your heroes for ghosts?"

Every song they sing is suspect from now and forever.

If there wasn't a thread about it here, I wouldn't even know about it. That's basically how I justify it. That and IT'S A FUCKING THIRTY SECOND COMMERCIAL!

I actually feel bad for you, since you've also had the music of five truly great bands (the Ramones, Clash, Buzzcocks, Jam, and Descendents) tarnished for you over the past few years. Hell, there's probably more I can't even think of.

I actually feel bad for you, since you've also had the music of five truly great bands (the Ramones, Clash, Buzzcocks, Jam, and Descendents) tarnished for you over the past few years. Hell, there's probably more I can't even think of.

You said "truly great", not "influential to like 14 year olds who wear black eye makeup".

Get over it. What did the punk rock ethos ever do, really? About as much as the Woodstock ethos. The world is still run by assholes. I consider Wilco to be good guys and it's nice to see some good guys have a bit of success in this vale of tears. Do you hate it when your friends become successful?

Yes, and so have you. Those bands are no longer a part of fans, they are given up to money, greed and power. The less bands that sell out, the less corporations co-opt the lives of their fans.

At least some bands have the ethics to say no. There are very few left, though.

Yes, and so have you. Those bands are no longer a part of fans, they are given up to money, greed and power. The less bands that sell out, the less corporations co-opt the lives of their fans.

By the way...I think I'm about the only one writing on here with this opinion???

Do you only listen to bands that release their albums independently? Have you ever seen a show in a clear channel venue? Have you ever listened to commercial radio. Do you own a television? Did you build everything you own from scratch? Are you a semi-ammish, who is ok with using computer but thinks that pants with metal zippers are gateway to hell?

Maybe you should poll the people to see if you're right or wrong on this.

I don't need a poll to tell me that there only needs to be one thread on a specific topic on a message board.

By the way...I think I'm about the only one writing on here with this opinion???

Damn dude, when we're out deluding ourselves that it's okay to listen to music we like, you won't have anything to listen to, but at least you will have been right all along.

Yeah. That's it for me too. I trust the power of art to transcend the morass. You finished my thought.

In all of this debate, trust is the word that kept coming up for me. But I couldn't get it right exactly. It wasn't about trust in "Wilco" or "Tweedy" or "Volkswagon". It was trust in the process. Trust in the power of art to move me and sometimes even change me.

The impetus of the creative urge is pure. The activity of creation is pretty pure. It's the dissemination that can be a bit tricky.

I sold some "art" today. I feel dirty.

Do you only listen to bands that release their albums independently? Have you ever seen a show in a clear channel venue? Have you ever listened to commercial radio. Do you own a television? Did you build everything you own from scratch? Are you a semi-ammish, who is ok with using computer but thinks that pants with metal zippers are gateway to hell?

I own an independent label and have played in independent rock bands all over the U.S. for the last 11 years. Of course this issue is important and I think I have an educated experience with it. Going to see a band or hearing them on the radio is quite a different step from selling your art to VW.

By the way, I think I'm debating with about 20 people on here right now. I guess I won't find much support.

'Nuff said.

Pants with metal zippers, if not shown the respect they deserve, can make you pretty much feel as if you were in hell, make you wish you were in hell

I own an independent label and have played in independent rock bands all over the U.S. for the last 11 years. Of course this issue is important and I think I have an educated experience with it. Going to see a band or hearing them on the radio is quite a different step from selling your art to VW.

By the way, I think I'm debating with about 20 people on here right now. I guess I won't find much support.

'Nuff said.

I've done it off and on for years - hang in there.

When Kip Winger posed in Playgirl...that, comrades, was the day the music died. Since then, I implore all musicians to license their music to anybody that'll pay top dollar and then make a music video for a remix where they use it to shine a bentley or the deliciously thick, rotund thong-clad backside of a girl who likely has a state or soda pop for a first name. Then I steal insurance coverage from babies...black ones, usually.

To be fair, I don't think there's going to be a hell of a lot of converts either way in this debate, which seems to me to be in the territory of "things upon which reasonable people can disagree."

'Nuff said.

That might be because you are defending an indefensible position.

Do you only listen to music released on independent labels? Fine, you own one. The only difference between you owning an indie label and the guys who own Sony, Capitol, etc is success.

'Nuff said.

Ummmm...I've sort of been saying many of the same things - have I been forgotten so quickly?

That might be because you are defending an indefensible position.

The only difference between you owning an indie label and the guys who own Sony, Capitol, etc is success.

I wouldn't go that far.