More on the "controversy"

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We got cheated out of the last who knows how many years of Vincent Van Gogh's future work because NO ONE BOUGHT HIS ART. His letters etc. point to it pretty clearly. If he could have sold some to the VW of his day (maybe the largest buggy maker in Paris) things might have turned out differently.

Also, I am happy to take unclepunk's place in front of the GA line. Good riddance!

I get your point, but it sort of suggests that the members of Wilco were living in abject poverty prior to inking this deal, when, in fact, as far as 99.9% of bands go, Wilco was already in the big leagues

I get your point, but it sort of suggests that the members of Wilco were living in abject poverty prior to inking this deal, when, in fact, as far as 99.9% of bands go, Wilco was already in the big leagues
When are the ads shown? Is it from 10 pm and later on weeknights when the under-30 yr. old crowd is awake? I haven't seen one yet.

Besides an online search, I haven't seen the ads, either. I guess I don't watch enough TV. You know, for those of us who share jnickerson's dislike for overcommercialization, it's possible to more or less relegate the influence of that culture to the margins of our lives--frankly, I find that rather easy to do, which might explain why I also find it easy to separate Wilco's artistic moves from its business moves. If a song appears in an ad, there are no lingering connotations for me. (For those that experience the negative connotations and can't help but allow that to forever alter how they hear the song, I sympathize. That doesn

No. God, no.

Wait and so and but, what if that commercial features Wilco?

That has nothing to do with it. Thats a stupid response to an intelligent, well thought out post. Good job.

If a work has genuine artistic power, then it also has the power to transcend the occasional misuse related to the complex vagaries associated with the long history of art commingling with commerce. It has the power to survive compromises of its purest state, both big and small. I guess what that means is, I'm not worried about the VW ads because I believe, perhaps idealistically, in the power of art, especially its power to matter and its power to endure.

Yeah. That's it for me too. I trust the power of art to transcend the morass. You finished my thought.

In all of this debate, trust is the word that kept coming up for me. But I couldn't get it right exactly. It wasn't about trust in "Wilco" or "Tweedy" or "Volkswagon". It was trust in the process. Trust in the power of art to move me and sometimes even change me.

The impetus of the creative urge is pure. The activity of creation is pretty pure. It's the dissemination that can be a bit tricky.

Vote yes or no or one of the other two.

Must you continue to talk in public about fighting your addiction?

edit: I apologize, I forgot to put that in "open letter" format...

[open letter] Must you continue to talk in public about fighting your addiction? [/open letter]

Is this a sign of a sure-fire sell out band?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kufVTRshQUU

Ha! that's funny. After I laughed so hard at your post that I had tears squirting out my eyes, I checked your 'Space" and looked at that video. And laughed some more. You have some interesting film in there. :)

That has nothing to do with it. Thats a stupid response to an intelligent, well thought out post. Good job.

I was being facetious, Earl. You of all people should understand facetious.

Either way, why even bother?

One could say the same thing about many of your very own, smart ass responses to other posters posts, Earl.

So serious all of a sudden.

Beltmann made some gracious comments, I was just adding some levity. I'll pm you in the future, to like, seek your approval, Earl.

One could say the same thing about many of your very own, smart ass responses to other posters posts, Earl.

So serious all of a sudden.

Beltmann made some gracious comments, I was just adding some levity. I'll pm you in the future, to like, seek your approval, Earl.

I think I've made it abundantly clear that I have no real opinions on anything, so all I can do is make smart ass comments. At least I didn't come storming onto the board on my high horse making my opinion known as fact. You are a "no nonsense" guy. I am an "all nonsense" guy. Thus I'm allowed to do it.

Duh.

Also, I've noticed this seems to be your schtick. You've ignored numerous serious posts and questions by intelligent posters who have made great points, and then you respond to clowns like me.