Good news for U2 fans..

I received The Unforgettable Fire (2 cd version) from Amazon yesterday. I believe this is the 4th time I have bought the album. My first thought is that it breathes more now, the sound is not so muddy and claustrophobic. The packaging is about the same as The Joshua Tree re-master (2 cd version).

The four times:

Cassette (original pressing) (October 1984) - I sort of recall buying it the week it came out.

Vinyl (original pressing) - I don't recall - late 1980s.

CD (original pressing) - I think I got the cd in late 1993.

CD (the new one) - Yesterday.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Since no one else has yet, I figured I’d share my experience seeing U2 at the Sphere in Las Vegas last week. (I’m a little behind as I was traveling after the weekend and busy with catching up on work

Yep, they botched Staring At The Sun on the opening night of the PopMart Tour in 1997 and since then they have only played it acoustically. Stay (Faraway, So Close!) & Stuck In A Moment You Can’t

I enjoy the Monster record - but I was not a huge fan of the live show on the cd deluxe edition -- enjoyed the music on the live set, but I thought Stipe's vocals were off -- to much straining, from w

Posted Images

That reminds me I have to run out and buy this today before it goes up in price tomorrow.

I picked up R.E.M.'s Live At The Olympia 1st on Tuesday. Which is quite amazing. Got to give the boys from Athens all the credit in the world for going back into their catalog on every tour and pulling out gems. U2 should take note. Although, on their Vertigo tour they did pull out a lot from Boy and Gloria from October. This tour we got The Unforgettable Fire and Ultraviolet (both of which are amazing and in my upper echelon of U2 tunes) but every hit came with it. blah blah blah :shifty

• 2 weeks later...

http://pitchfork.com/features/interviews/7723-brian-eno/

I thought this was a really good read. I think this is interesting for all the Bono-haters out there. I've always been able to see why Bono rubs people (myself included on occasion) the wrong way, but thought many of those people missed the deeper point. I think it comes down to whether or not you think he's full of sh$! or not. Either you believe what he says or you think he's trying to sell more records. I think Eno addresses this very well here:

"Pitchfork: Even now, U2 do not always get a lot of credit for recognizing when they need to change tack.

Brian Eno: They have made some significant turnings at various points in their career. They're actually a very experimental band, but because of the form of their music people don't recognize it. If they were some rather obscure indie band, people would probably think, "God, they're amazing, they keep coming out with completely new things!" But because they sell millions of albums, that's how it gets overlooked!

Pitchfork: There's always a catch.

Brian Eno: [laughs] Yes.

Pitchfork: In some ways, making something that's both interesting and popular is the ultimate experiment.

Brian Eno: It's surprisingly unrecognized. I find the same thing in all forms of art, things that are very popular. I think everyone's inherently snobbish. Things that are very popular are not taken seriously, because the snobbish side of one says, "Well, if everyone likes it it can't be that good." Whereas if only I and a couple of other people like it, then it must be really something special.

One of the things I love about U2-- and it's one of the things that we're constantly arguing about, the balance of this-- is that they want to take everyone with them for the ride! [laughs] They don't want to let anyone go at any point! I'm always saying, "Look, if you're going to do something new, you're going to lose a few supporters along the way." And they really fight against that. They don't want to do that. I honestly don't think it's greed. It's not lust for money or lust for power. It's the feeling that everybody's got to be at the party: we're not going to make it unapproachable to anybody. I'm sure a big part of Bono's drive comes from the times he visits nightclubs-- he does, occasionally-- and sees 18-year-old girls dancing to records that aren't U2! [laughs] And I think that really bugs him! [laughs] I'm not quoting him here, but this what I imagine he's thinking: There's a whole audience here that we're not connecting with! Why aren't we connecting with these people?! So he's quite driven, in that sense, to conquer the world, actually. [laughs]

Pitchfork: And where does he get the reputation for ego and arrogance?

Brian Eno: Well, he has an enormous ego, but so do most of the people I like. [laughs] And also a big ego isn't necessarily a bad thing. A big ego means that you have some confidence in your abilities, really, and that you're prepared to take the risk of trying them out. I really don't think he's arrogant. That's a different thing. In fact, he's absolutely, to me, the opposite of arrogant. He's very, very able, more able than almost anybody I know, to take criticism and do something with it. He just doesn't get upset. He doesn't take it as an attack on him if you say, oh, this doesn't work at all, it's really pathetic, actually. So it's possible to be very frank with him and know there's not some cowering insecurity inside him that is going to mean his feelings get hurt. His ego allows him to be humble, if you see what I mean. People who are very confident in themselves aren't hurt by criticism. They make use of it. I think he's very good at that.

As you can tell, I admire him a lot. He's attacked as a result of another kind of snobbery. We have a particular type of snobbery in England I don't think you have so much in America. Our version: Who does he think he is? The biggest crime in England is to rise above your station. It's fine to be a pop star. Oh, it's great, lots of fun, aren't they sweet, these pop stars! But to think you have anything to say about how the world should work? What arrogance! There's such a resistance to that. Recently he spoke at the Labour Party conference and at the Tory Party conference; I don't think he was there in person. To me, that's completely consistent with his mission. He's driven about his work in Africa, and wants both parties to know that there's an agenda that they should be paying attention to. It's completely consistent. It's not him being power hungry, it's him saying whoever's the next government should be taking this problem seriously.

He received so much criticism here in England, as if he is a political traitor, talking to both parties. And anyway, what right did he have, he's only a pop star! Well, I have no time for that, and I think it all comes out of some kind of awful British envy. Envy is one of the biggest motivators here. It's really heartbreaking to see it stop so much from happening."

• 4 weeks later...

I picked up the book U2 by U2 (paperback version) the other day. I rather like it. The only other book about them I have ever read was: Unforgettable Fire: Past, Present, and Future--The Definitive Biography of U2. I have owned that book for years and years. It use to go for a lot of money, and now you can get it for next to nothing used.

I enjoyed U2 by U2 as well but my favorite book about the band is "U2: At the End of the World," by Bill Flanagan. The writer follows the band for a couple years through the Zoo TV Tour. It's a very revealing look at the band at a very signficant time in their career and it doesn't hurt that Flanagan is a funny writer who doesn't take his subjects too seriously.

I am near the end. I just read the part about The Edge and the police looking for the cd of How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb that someone took from his boombox. I find that hilarious. It was interesting to learn that a lot of the songs on that album were left over from All That You Can't Leave Behind sessions. I don't think I have listened to that album since it came out.

I was listening to How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb and No Line on the Horizon recently, and thinking how I would make them one album by leaving out songs I don't care for such as Get on Your Boots. I usually don't ever mess with such things, but I just can't stand some of those uptempo songs. The slow ones or whatever you want to call them, speak to me moreso than the others.

Winter makes me think of The Hands That Built America.

It's weird, I used to (around the time of Achtung) think U2 should write soundtracks, because their music is so dramatic. But then came 'The Hands That Built America' and now this. I don't get it.

I haven't gotten around to listening to "Winter," but I hated "The Hands That Built America." However, "Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me" is an excellent song. And "In the Name of the Father" is one of my favorite songs by anybody. Technically that was Bono and Gavin Friday, I suppose.

According to Billboard, U2 has the biggest numbers from the past year of touring:

Total Gross: $311,637,730 Number of Shows: 44

Total Attendance: 3,071,290 Number of Sell-Outs: 44

I wonder what each show cost them. From the videos I have seen, that gigantic claw thing must cost a lot to move around and set-up.

According to Billboard, U2 has the biggest numbers from the past year of touring:

I wonder what each show cost them. From the videos I have seen, that gigantic claw thing must cost a lot to move around and set-up.

Maybe a better question while the climate summit is taking place in Copenhagen is how has this monstrosity cost the planet in carbon emissions? Hypocrites of the highest order especially in light of Bono's efforts on behalf of the population of Africa. The very continent that the UN report on climate change will face the biggest threats because of CO2 and other greenhouse gases. I know U2 have bought carbon offsets but on the symbolic level of changing behavior to lessen climate change this tour is an affront to common sense.

U2 insist they are investing to off-set carbon emissions from the 100-date marathon which involves 70,000 miles of jet travel.

And they plan to recycle the three giant claw stages to create permanent musical venues in parks worldwide.

• 1 month later...

U2 start work on new album

U2 start work on new album

U2 have revealed that they have begun work on a new album.

The follow-up to 2009's 'No Line On The Horizon', the as-yet-untitled album is set to be "really special".

"We are working on a lot of new songs," The Edge told EW.com. "Some of them are really, really happy. We're convinced that we have something really special."

Adding that the band have been working on material in-between legs of their world tour, the guitarist revealed a little more about the making of the album.

"We are experimenting with a lot of different arrangements, and electronic is one of the things we are playing with," he explained. "But there are other songs that are very traditional, almost folk. That's the thing we haven't figured out yet, where this album is going to end up."

Meanwhile, U2 frontman Bono has recorded a new song with Jay-Z, to help raise money for those affected by the recent earthquakes in Haiti.

now i remember.

i didn't think I'll Go Crazy was a great song. i don't think i heard it once outside of

my own cd playing or them on a late night show.

still can't believe they nominated Death Cab's EP for Album - are there really no other possibilites?