Good news for U2 fans..

Maybe I missed this somewhere - but I wonder what the deal is with the Rick Rubin tracks.

I think they just shelved them. "The Saints are Coming" and "Window in the Sky" came out of those sessions, or a pre-curser to those sessions. And I LOVE "Window in the Sky." Phenomenal song. I'd like to hear more of what they can do with different producers.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Since no one else has yet, I figured I’d share my experience seeing U2 at the Sphere in Las Vegas last week. (I’m a little behind as I was traveling after the weekend and busy with catching up on work

Yep, they botched Staring At The Sun on the opening night of the PopMart Tour in 1997 and since then they have only played it acoustically. Stay (Faraway, So Close!) & Stuck In A Moment You Can’t

I enjoy the Monster record - but I was not a huge fan of the live show on the cd deluxe edition -- enjoyed the music on the live set, but I thought Stipe's vocals were off -- to much straining, from w

Posted Images

I had forgotten about him working with them until I read the recent Rolling Stone interview.

Here's a short article about it: http://www.nme.com/news/u2/41303

U2 scrap Rick Rubin tracks on new album

'No Line On The Horizon' is finally set to see the light of day in February 2009

U2 have shelved a host of tracks recorded with Rick Rubin on their forthcoming 12th studio album.

Guitarist The Edge said the Irish four-piece scrapped early sessions with the renowned knob-twiddler because it did not suit the band's style of recording.

"We actually laid all that stuff to one side. Really out of deference to Rick and that set of songs we just said, OK, that

Let me go on the record here (so to speak)

I like the new album...a lot

I wasn't crazy about HtDaAB at first...but now listen to it rather regularly.

I loved ATYCLB from the get go

I didn't appreciate Pop until recently

I thought Zooropa was a mess at first, but get it a bit better now

These guys do what they do very well...and they do what they do.

You know, at this point in their career, I'm surprised U2 hasn't tried making an album without a producer. They've certainly produced a lot of great work under the guidance of Eno and Lanois and Steve Lillywhite, but I'd like to see them ditch the security blanket and try the process on their own.

I always like to read Larry's answers to questions. He does not mess around.

Larry does seem to be the only one who is resolutely Dublin and in touch with "the people" but doesn't he look like an angry middle aged lesbian these days?

You know, at this point in their career, I'm surprised U2 hasn't tried making an album without a producer. They've certainly produced a lot of great work under the guidance of Eno and Lanois and Steve Lillywhite, but I'd like to see them ditch the security blanket and try the process on their own.

It's funny, I think the reason they keep Eno and Lanois around is because they AREN'T a security blanket. In numerous interviews they emphasize how important it is for them to have someone that doesn't agree with them in the room. They always say that Daniel Lanois and Brian Eno are people who will fight it out against them and they appreciate this. This democratic process doesn't work for everyone (producers) and it takes a special amount of patience to work this way. They argue it out. Lillywhite has said that making a U2 album is like giving birth to a watermelon. I can appreciate that at their stage in their career they do not surround themselves with "yes men" -- they thrive on the creative tension.

It's funny, I think the reason they keep Eno and Lanois around is because they AREN'T a security blanket. In numerous interviews they emphasize how important it is for them to have someone that doesn't agree with them in the room. They always say that Daniel Lanois and Brian Eno are people who will fight it out against them and they appreciate this. This democratic process doesn't work for everyone (producers) and it takes a special amount of patience to work this way. They argue it out. Lillywhite has said that making a U2 album is like giving birth to a watermelon. I can appreciate that at their stage in their career they do not surround themselves with "yes men" -- they thrive on the creative tension.

That's a good point. In Dylan's Chronicles book he talks quite a bit about him and Lanois butting heads, to the point where Lanois smashed a guitar out of anger. Takes a confident man to tell Dylan how his songs should sound. Rick Rubin seems to have that touch as well. NOt sure he ever argues but he certainly seems to be able to convince artists to go back to their roots and start doing what they do best.

On another note, I'm enjoying this U2 record more than anything since maybe Achtung.

That's a good point. In Dylan's Chronicles book he talks quite a bit about him and Lanois butting heads, to the point where Lanois smashed a guitar out of anger. Takes a confident man to tell Dylan how his songs should sound. Rick Rubin seems to have that touch as well. NOt sure he ever argues but he certainly seems to be able to convince artists to go back to their roots and start doing what they do best.

On another note, I'm enjoying this U2 record more than anything since maybe Achtung.

Glad I'm not the only one. This one, to my reckoning, is REALLY good. I feel that a lot of the criticism of U2 is backlash...Bono's high profile and the messianice pose this band takes. But, DA$MIT, this is a REALLY good record. PERIOD.

Wow. Forgot that tickets went on sale at 10 today, but I was able to just snage 2 $30 tickets. Finally going to be able to see these guys.

Congrats! Looks like you got a nosebleed...I don't think you'll be disappointed. I've seen them quite a few times, have seen them from the front row to the bloodiest, nosebleed seat and can honestly say that the majority of shows that have really stuck with me were the ones I've watched from far above; to be able to see the totality of it all at once, feel the crowd around you and the massive scale, well that's what it's all about. Those are the ones that felt more communal to me, which is what makes a U2 show a U2 show. That being said, however, I scored my GA tickets to Vancouver today.

• 3 weeks later...
I have 4 extra tickets to the U2 show on Sept. 13 at Soldier Field. I am looking to sell.

I would say PM me, but that might be difficult. Well, fuck.

I'm definitely interested!!!!! i couldn't get PM to work. e-mail me at jcroach AT yahoo DOT com.

Are you willing to split the set or just all four?

Guest Jules
I didn't think you'd be nearly as upset about The Edge tearing down a mountain as I was. Now you're selling your tickets!!!

Oh, I'm still going for some reason. They're extras. Plus, I don't really care about a mountain in Malibu.

Guest Jules
I'm definitely interested!!!!! i couldn't get PM to work. e-mail me at jcroach AT yahoo DOT com.

Are you willing to split the set or just all four?

email on the way. thanks.