Good news for U2 fans..

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Since no one else has yet, I figured I’d share my experience seeing U2 at the Sphere in Las Vegas last week. (I’m a little behind as I was traveling after the weekend and busy with catching up on work

Yep, they botched Staring At The Sun on the opening night of the PopMart Tour in 1997 and since then they have only played it acoustically. Stay (Faraway, So Close!) & Stuck In A Moment You Can’t

I enjoy the Monster record - but I was not a huge fan of the live show on the cd deluxe edition -- enjoyed the music on the live set, but I thought Stipe's vocals were off -- to much straining, from w

Posted Images

Heads up: U2 adds a show in Winnipeg (May 29th) and Nashville (July 2nd).

And now this...I'm waiting for Bono to start yapping about The Edge being extremely angry and that we will hear things unheard to any living human being coming out of his amps.

They do have a lot of projects on tap for the next couple of years. It makes sense to release that Danger Mouse cd instead of the Songs Of Ascent which they probably wouldn't do in a live stadium setting anyways.

I have never seen them have this many projects floating around. They must realize their age more than ever and are trying to do as much as they can.

I'd still like to hear the Rick Rubin sessions at some point. All of this is part of their 401K plan.

• 3 weeks later...

U2 to release Wide Awake In Europe

We've all known this release was coming for a while, but it wasn't until now that U2.com have actually confirmed that U2 are releasing a live EP called Wide Awake In Europe.

The EP will feature the first ever official release of Mercy as the a-side, recorded in Brussels on 22 September 2010. Mercy will be backed by performances of Crazy Tonight and Moment Of Surrender. The EP is being released to support Record Store Day, 26 November (which, at the time of writing, U2.com incorrectly claims is 23 November). It is a limited edition vinyl release, with only 5,000 copies available.

So, if you are in North America, head out to your local independent record store to pick up Wide Awake In Europe - and some copies are also being sent to shops in the UK and Ireland. Those of us in the rest of the world? Well, if you're reading this, you clearly have the Internet at your disposal. You hopefully know what to do.

Obviously, the title of this EP is a reference to U2's 1985 EP, Wide Awake In America. Although it went on to have a worldwide release, WAIA was originally primarily intended for the American market, just like this year's release. However, both EPs were actually recorded in Europe. Despite Wide Awake In America's name, the two live tracks were recorded in the UK. A Sort Of Homecoming hails from the soundcheck on 15 November 1984, London, while Bad is from the Birmingham gig a few days previously on 12 November 1984. Some cheekier commentators may suggest that Wide Awake In Europe's recordings should have been taken from a 2009 American show!

U2 is set to go back out on the road Thursday beginning in Auckland, New Zealand (ending on December 19th in Australia) with Jay-Z as opener.

At soundcheck today U2 were heard to be extensively rehearsing One Tree Hill (wish they'd play it other then out in NZ).

And

U2 is reportedly rehearsing October's Scarlet (played only 1 time according to U2gigs) with a Jay-Z guest rap in there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3qF1E7UkM4

Perhaps a new concert intro. It would flow nicely into Beautiful Day, although I doubt Jay-Z coming back out after a 40 minute break just for a little guest spot.

Jay-Z plays all the dates, by the way.

"60 Minutes" ran a segment on the Spiderman play last night. It looked pretty cool.

I have no idea how they are going recoup all their costs, though.

Here is the CBS link to the segment.

I saw that, but only because my nephew, who is a theater guy, told me about it. It looked really cool and really stupid all at the same time. They will never recoup the oost. It is on record as the most expensive Broadway show ever produced (Shrek being the most expensive up to this point) at over 65 million so far The music sounded okay, but entire idea seems totally goofy. Do we really need a musical of Spiderman? Do we need brand new villians (didn't the comics supply enough villans over the years??) Will they ever get the plot nailed down (it isn't yet). And will audiences pay the high ticket prices it will be necessary to charge them in order to see an arial fight above them (and hopefully no one will get hurt)?? Stay tuned!!! The actually production of this thing is more of a cliffhanger than they will ever be able to build into the book itself.

Those who have chosen to pay to see the previews will not ever see a finished play. But I guess the spectical is what really counts.

LouieB

"60 Minutes" ran a segment on the Spiderman play last night. It looked pretty cool.

I have no idea how they are going recoup all their costs, though.

Here is the CBS link to the segment.

I think I saw an article online somewhere this morning that seemed to report that they had a lot of problems on opening night.

Also, a very early show from Pittsburgh was posted at Dime a Dozen this weekend (1981/04/21 - The Decade, Pittsburgh)(Oakland).

It looked really cool and really stupid all at the same time.

LouieB

Exactly.

I think I saw an article online somewhere this morning that seemed to report that they had a lot of problems on opening night.

In the 60 Minute segment, the director even had her doubts regarding opening night/weeks.

U2's songs focus of Regent Square church services

By Jason Cato

PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Last updated: 11:55 am

Legions of fans worship U2, but more and more churchgoers are worshipping to the music of one of the world's most popular bands.

The number of U2 Eucharist, or U2charist, services have grown since the first service combining the Irish rock band's music and religion in Baltimore in 2004. About a dozen have been performed in the Pittsburgh area in recent years, with Waverly Presbyterian Church in Regent Square hosting its second U2charist on Sunday.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I usually take ANY talk of a new U2 album with a huge "sure, I'll believe it when I see it," but this one seems a bit different. Most significant that it isn't coming from Bono:

"McGuinness Confirms May U2 Album Release, Title TBD

Posted: February 01, 2011

By: Matt McGee / @mattmcgee

U2 manager Paul McGuinness has reiterated that U2 is planning to have a new album out in May, in time for the North American leg of the U2 360 tour. Speaking during the Midem music conference in Cannes, McGuinness says the new album is "largely completed" and the band is working in its southern France studio to put the "finishing touch" on the record.

McGuinness says this album will be the one that Brian Burton, AKA Danger Mouse, is producing. But he says it's "unlikely" that the album will be called "Songs Of Ascent" -- the title that Bono originally used to refer to what was expected to be an album of songs leftover from the No Line On The Horizon sessions.

Again, we get this news from our friends at U2tour.de, who point to the report on German site MediaBiz. Here's the original in German, and here's a Google translation in English.

As we reported yesterday, a new U2 album is currently listed on Amazon Germany with a May 27 release date."

from atu2.com

There was an article on Billboard this morning about The Stones not touring, and it mentioned that U2 will soon hold the title of highest grossing tour in history. That is amazing.

Live Nation has an ace in the hole in dealing with the Stones, as LN Global Touring Chairman Arthur Fogel was a key executive under Cohl at the latter's former companies CPI and TNA before they became part of Live Nation.

Fogel has in fact become the leading mega-tour producer in the world, having steered with his Toronto-based team four of the five highest-grossing tours of all time, including U2's ongoing "360" tour. That tour will surpass 'A Bigger Bang' tour in April to become the highest-grossing tour in history, according to Billboard Boxscore. By the time "360" wraps July 30 at the Magnetic Hill Music Festival in Moncton, New Brunswick, the gross will be a staggering $700 million.

There was an article on Billboard this morning about The Stones not touring, and it mentioned that U2 will soon hold the title of highest grossing tour in history. That is amazing.

I wonder what the final net will be. I thought I heard they were losing money early on in the tour due to the high costs of hauling and setting up the 360 stage.

Here's the news you've been waiting for (has it really though?): confirmed tracks and artists on 'U2 Duals', the limited-edition CD of U2 collaborations performed and recorded over three decades.

From the Soweto Gospel Choir to Allan Ginsberg, Willie Nelson to Mary J Blige and Mick Jagger to Green Day, the band have curated a collection of 'duals' which highlight the remarkable range of artists they've worked with.

A few of the fifteen tracks have featured on studio albums, but many have had only limited previous availability and some are released here for the first time.

We think it's a pretty special collection (of course you're going to say that to get my $40 for a damn 1 year subscription that doesn't do anything else for me, unless if U2 on the off chance decides to tour :stunned ) and with the finished CD now in production, we'll be emailing qualifying subscribers with details of delivery times as soon as we have them.

U2 Duals - Tracklisting

1. "Where The Streets Have No Name" / U2 and Soweto Gospel Choir

2. "The Wanderer" / U2 and Johnny Cash

3. "Falling At Your Feet" / Bono and Danny Lanois

4. "Miss Sarajevo" / Passengers and Luciano Pavarotti

5. "Slow Dancing" / U2 and Willie Nelson

6. "The Saints Are Coming" / U2 and Green Day

7. "Sunday Bloody Sunday (Live from Auckland)" / U2 and Jay-Z

8. "One" / U2 and Mary J Blige

9. "When Love Comes To Town" / U2 and BB King

10. "Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of (Live at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame)" / U2 and Mick Jagger

11. "The Ballad Of Ronnie Drew" / U2, The Dubliners, Kila, A Band of Bowsies

12. "I'm Not Your Baby" / U2 and Sinead O'Connor

13. "Stranded (Haiti Mon Amour) – Hybrid Mix" / Jay-Z, Bono, The Edge, Rihanna

14. "Drunk Chicken / America" / U2 and Allen Ginsberg

15. "Amazing Grace" / U2 and Soweto Gospel Choir

Yeah, I just read that today too. Only ones I don't have are the Soweto Gospel Choir tracks, the tracks with Rihanna and Jay-Z and the Mick Jagger RnRHOF track. Nothing very exciting there.

Turned down tickets offer to me by a friend to the Soldier Field concert in July. No way I'm paying $300 for a pair of concert tickets!

I bought that Jay-Z & Rihanna track on iTunes, so that it could benefit Haiti. Other than that everything else I have somewhere in my U2 collection.

Even the Sinead song was on some Pop b-side (maybe it was a remix, but I'm pretty sure that I have the original somewhere). I would have preferred the cover of Gimme Shelter, instead of Stuck In Moment (from the same Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame event).

Definitely wait it out until the week of the show. People will be itching to sell their tickets for any price. U2 still hasn't announced another Boston show which is odd.