A.M. vs Anodyne

So I'm getting into Uncle Tupelo lately and I've been reading on the net how Anodyne is such a great Album when A.M. is no so well rated. I was wondering if it was an opinion shared on VC. Feel free to elabore on this I'm curious about your opinions.

comparing the first album to the last isn't really a fair comparison. i've got them all and wouldn't give up any of them. it's where the band was at that particular time and both have their moments. anodyne, of course having more of them.

anodyne, no contest. I like Trace but probably not as much as A.M. Jay Farrar bores me when I listen to a whole album of his voice...

I agree. Whenever I listen to Trace I catch myself wishing Jeff would sing the next song, but I've never thought the reverse about AM or any other Wilco records.

For me: 1) Anodyne, 2) Trace, 3) AM

i'll go with this, but i'll also add that i prefer jeff's singing to jay's. jay's seems to run in the groove too much (same singing all the time), so to speak.

all three are worth your time, howev.

The most consistently fascinating part of this history to me is this combination of facts:

1. Anodyne kicks the crap out of A.M.

2. Trace kickes the crap out of A.M.

3. Everything else in the Wilco catalog kicks the crap out of everything Jay Farrar ever struggled to put his name on.

Obviously this is just my taste, and exaggerated for effect (i.e. these are not facts), but I've heard other people say this. How is it that Tweedy was such a late bloomer while Farrar blew his load and then just kept mumbling?

The most consistently fascinating part of this history to me is this combination of facts:

How is it that Tweedy was such a late bloomer while Farrar blew his load and then just kept mumbling?

I don't know . . . with songs like D. Boone, If That's Allright, New Madrid and The Long Cut (just to name a few), I wouldn't call Tweedy a late bloomer. To this day, I don't think either Tweedy or Farrar has written a better song than Gun.

Of course, this is just the humble opinion of a pre-Wilco Tweedy fan (i.e. old) who reads this board every day but never posts. In fact, it took me 20 minutes to figure out to work this thing.

I don't know . . . with songs like D. Boone, If That's Allright, New Madrid and The Long Cut (just to name a few), I wouldn't call Tweedy a late bloomer. To this day, I don't think either Tweedy or Farrar has written a better song than Gun.

Of course, this is just the humble opinion of a pre-Wilco Tweedy fan (i.e. old) who reads this board every day but never posts. In fact, it took me 20 minutes to figure out to work this thing.

welcome

"1. Anodyne kicks the crap out of A.M.

2. Trace kicks the crap out of A.M.

3. Everything else in the Wilco catalog kicks the crap out of everything Jay Farrar ever struggled to put his name on."

couldn't have said it better myself!

Anodyne is a record of mythic proportions. In my opinion a top 100 album of all time that continues attract listeners who always say "why have i not heard this before".

Trace is as good as farrar(without tweedy) gets. Which is sad because its 12 years old. Farrar is one of those artists where one says "he has so much potential.....but he doesn't live up to it". In my opinion.

A.M. is a good start and proof to me that jeff has grown remarkably as a guitar player and song writer. Dash 7, Blue eyed soul, and too far apart are the only ones i listen to a lot anymore.

compareing or even trying to compare Anodyne to A.M. to me is like compareing neil youngs first solo album to any of buffalo springfields stuff. neil went on to record better records(truly great records) but genius usually takes time when one is alone.

sorry for my spelling and i know there are exeptions to every rule. i.e. jeff buckleys "grace" and pavements "slanted and enchanted" come to mind.

and the first velvet underground as well....anyway

spongebob

anodyne is by far the best uncle tupelo album and is leaps and bounds over a.m. i stronly disagree w/ the whole farrar blew his load theory, The Search is AS GOOD as anything jay or jeff has ever done.

i listen to a.m. all the time however and think it has moments of greatness.

the step jeff took up to being there was phenominal.

The Search is AS GOOD as anything jay or jeff has ever done.

I like The Search, but I don't think it's a patch on AGIB or YHF, only my opinion though so don't set the hounds on me!

Alex