Official Doctor Who discussion thread

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am really enjoying this season. I thought Matt Smith did a magnificent job last year and he was even better this year.

I ama little perturbed that the Beeb and Moffat seems unable to produce more than 12-14 episodes a year. Cuse and Lindlehoff managed to keep Lost on the air six years and had 20+ one-hour episodes a year in a continuing story arc that managed to keep reasonalby on track and had an ultimately satisfying denoument.

12-14 episodes per year is just about perfect. I think Lost would have been a better show if they cut the number of episodes per year (Paulo and Nikki anyone?). The format lends itself to tighter better story telling.

Also the BBC appears to be in some sort of financial crisis and Doctor Who is probably an expensive show to produce. Remember the BBC is public funded (through TV licensees) and does not sell commercials for its shows.

Series 7 of Doctor Who is going to be cut even more due to budget issues. But the good news is that series 7 will end on the 50th anniversary of the show. Apparently Moffatt has big plans for that.

Though Economy Hits Doctor Who

There's plenty of rumours on the interweb of them bringing back the timelords. Lots of things that looked like consoles in this season and that company that makes Flesh looks suspiciously like something The Master would be involved in.

• 4 weeks later...

There's plenty of rumours on the interweb of them bringing back the timelords. Lots of things that looked like consoles in this season and that company that makes Flesh looks suspiciously like something The Master would be involved in.

There really wasn't a satisfying conclusion to the whole Time Lord business.

I would love to see Jon Sim as the Master again.

There really wasn't a satisfying conclusion to the whole Time Lord business.

I would love to see Jon Sim as the Master again.

John Simm is a fantastic actor. I would watch him read the phone book.

• 1 month later...

By the way...how cool is it that Hugh Douglas is a Whovian.

did not see that coming in regards to Mel. Anyone thoughts on "Let's Kill Hitler"

will watch again.

Didn't see it coming...but not terribly surprised. I do wonder how the Dr. getting killed in the first episode of this season will be resolved.

I thought it was good, but had too many off those "timey-wimey" things that neatly put things together.

Certainly the "death" of the Doctor and the regenerations thing was a bit too obvious and ensures River Song can't "come back" so to speak.

Anyway - I'm still hopeful for some more interesting things to occur yet...

I thought it was relatively restrained in the timey wimey stuff that Moffatt is so found of.

We have a pretty clear understanding of River Song's timeline now

c. 52nd century Born on Deamon's Run

c. 1960 - 1969 - Taken back in time to America to be raised and brainwashed by the Silence

1969 - Regenerates in New York possibly to Mel (unknown how man regenerations she has had, though she said the last time she did this she was a toddler in New York).

c. 1990 - Is in Ledworth and becomes friends with Amy and Rory. Now this is where it get's fuzzy and yet to be explained. Did the Silence pick her up in 1969 or shortly after to brainwash her some more and pop her in Ledworth? Or did she get their by herself?One would have to say the Silence took her and possibly time travelled to her to the late eighties/ninites in Ledworth (being that she was nine or so when she regenerated that would make her the same age as Amy). I don't think she could have done that herself.

2012 Mel hijacks the TARDIS and get's transported to 1938

1938 Mel is shot and regenerates to River Song

c. 52nd Century (in order)

• Is transported by the Doctor to get healed
  • Attends Lunar University
  • Kills "the best man she has ever known"
  • Is imprisoned in the Storm Cage
  • Frequently escapes and has adventures with the Doctor
  • Dies in the Library (I think this might be the 50th Century though)

So the questions that remain about River is 1) how did she get to Ledworth in the 90's and why does she not remember being in the Spacesuit.

There are a couple of things that keep rolling around in head with respect to the Doctor's apparent death in Utah in 2011. It is referred to as a 'fixed point in history'. We know that these cannot be altered.

However, you know there has to be an out here. There are a couple of candidates to either counteract the Doctor's death or serve as a surrogate.

As Melody/River sacrificed all her future regenerations to save the Doctor, we know that the River Song incarnation did not kill the Doctor.Also, we saw him killed by someone in the Apollo Space suit (persumabley the initial incarnation of Melody/River). As this incarnation occurred before Melody, then Mels'/River's actions to kill the Doctor seemingly make no sense.

Therefore, one of two things occurred:1. The Doctor did not die in Utah in 2011; or 2. some other Time Lord type killed him.

The Flesh was introduced, making a nice distraction/decoy for the kidnapping of Amy and then were soon abondoned as an idea. I would be that the flesh has some bearing on all of this. Maybe as in the Doctor that was killed was actually the Flesh. However, as he did not deconstruct after he was killed, this appears unlikely.

We also know that The Master and Rasilion were not killed, just banished back to the hell of Galifrey at war. The Flesh certainlyhas the feel of a brainchild of the Master. However, a simple shooting seems a bit too straightforward for the Master.

Also, where is the Tardis in 2011 Utah? And why was the Doctor 'drawing attention to himself'? Trying to catch the attention or Amy and Rory or someone else?

There's going to have to be a resolution to the Doctor dying. Either that, or the series ends with finality as soon as Matt Smith decides he wants to leave. If the Utah death is fact and is real, than the Doctor ends there.

I hope we don't have the wonky, paradox challenging Time travel as jokey plot point that we saw at the end of last year. It was cool, but enough is enough.

Can't wait for tomorrow. I have been looking forward to this episode (Night Terrors) ever since it was first announced. It looks like it has a huge creep factor. Plus it has Daniel Mays in it. He was excellent in Ashes to Ashes and Outcasts. He has this this boyish/evil quality about him. I always thought he would make a great Master.

• 2 weeks later...

That was a great episode - really well done, lots of fun and madness in it. Mays is good too - getting a run on the BBC at the moment.

Haven't seen this weekend's yet - something to catch up on this week...

Hurry up and watch it...this one needs disection and discussion.

Yes! That's exactly what I thought Kevin.

That was surely one of the most complex for a while - really enjoyed it, though it was quite emotional!

I think this Doctor is one of the more complex for a while - Tennant didn't quite convey this as well as Smith, there's a definite darkness to him.

I rank this episode with as one of the best of NuWho, on Par with Vincent and the Doctor. Amy finally stepped out of the damsel in distress motif that she has been stuck in. Won would hope that we see her become stronger as the rest of the season goes on.

This Doctor is far more complex, but I am not sure it has as much to do with Matt Smith's acting ability (he does an excellent job btw), as it has to do with the writing and story telling. Think back to Eccelson's and Tennant's best episodes (The Empty Child, The Doctor Dances, Girl in the Fireplace, Blink, Silence in the Library, Forest of the Dead), all written by Steven Moffat. His story telling is far superior then that of Russell T Davis. One only has to look at the complete mess that Torchwood: Miracle Day was to see that.

That is not to say the Moffat is perfect, he tends to use the Timey-winey stuff as a convent plot device. It started off as an interesting concept, but has become over used. Remember in the CE episode "Father's Day" when those time fixer things came and started eating everyone because Rose saved her father? There are several times when those things should have shown up in the past couple of years.

Oh well it looks like next week we are off to scare children with "The God Complex." I am excited for this one because of Toby Whitehouse, creator of Being Human, writer of the excellent "School Reunion," and the so-so "Vampire's of Venice"

Yes! That's exactly what I thought Kevin.

That was surely one of the most complex for a while - really enjoyed it, though it was quite emotional!

I think this Doctor is one of the more complex for a while - Tennant didn't quite convey this as well as Smith, there's a definite darkness to him.

There is something cosmic about the devotion Amy and Rory have for each other. And their reaction to Mels being River was a little...muted.

I have a feeling that something is afoot here. Just why did the 'crack' appear in Amy's childhood room?

And just what is the question that the Silence anticipate?

Agreed.

Also - and I was reading about this and was thinking the same, we've had two episodes now where the Doctor has failed to regenerate when he could have done so - he had to rely on River in the Hitler episode and this week he said he couldn't... I'm just wondering if we've got the "Flesh" Doctor in the Tardis at the moment...

It's all very great. I'm still convinced the company who set up the Flesh is Master related...

Agreed.

Also - and I was reading about this and was thinking the same, we've had two episodes now where the Doctor has failed to regenerate when he could have done so - he had to rely on River in the Hitler episode and this week he said he couldn't... I'm just wondering if we've got the "Flesh" Doctor in the Tardis at the moment...

It's all very great. I'm still convinced the company who set up the Flesh is Master related...

I wondered that myself. (Although it might have been a matter of the specificity of the 'one day plague' and its effects on time lords).

However, if it is the flesh, that raises the question: just where is the 'real' Doctor? Back on the acid mine site? And it also seems to explain the Doctor's erratic behavior at Demon's Run.

I still have a feeling that the Master will make an appearance soon. The flesh seems like something the Master would be behind. And maybe now as 'the drums' might have subsided, the Master might be less erratic and insane and simply meglomanical.