Official Doctor Who discussion thread

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One very cool aspect to Capaldi's take on the Doctor is he has managed to capture the absolute 'otherness'. The relationship between the Doctor and Clara has become a bit of Peter Pan and Wendy as opposed to the romance novel dreck we were getting the last several years.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

One very cool aspect to Capaldi's take on the Doctor is he has managed to capture the absolute 'otherness'. The relationship between the Doctor and Clara has become a bit of Peter Pan and Wendy as opposed to the romance novel dreck we were getting the last several years.

I read somewhere the writers were pushing for some kind of romance and Capaldi absolutely (and wisely) put his foot down and said no way.  Even with Tennant and Smith the romance thing just does not work for me so glad to see Capaldi pushing back.  

I read somewhere the writers were pushing for some kind of romance and Capaldi absolutely (and wisely) put his foot down and said no way.  Even with Tennant and Smith the romance thing just does not work for me so glad to see Capaldi pushing back.  

I know I'm late to the party, but thank god.  It's all good with Rose because Rose could probably do anything she wanted, but I must say, Capaldi is just gonna be shooting straight from the hip as the Doctor.  I'm really glad to hear he rebuffed that attempt....

I've been a Doctor Who fan since I was a kid subsisting of repeats of Tom Baker and Peter Davidson episodes back in the 80's on (the Australian) ABC. The revival's been fitfully entertaining, but I grew increasingly frustrated with the Matt Smith era and the whole blockbuster-every-week approach. Almost all aspects of the production suffered under the strain of trying to appease a dumbed down audience and flog merchandise left right and centre. Since Capaldi took over I've been won back with much better scripts, solid acting and an overall tone which harks back to Tom Baker's Gothic period of the mid-70's. Also - people die in stories again...there are implications for actions and the Doctor's an alien again.

On the strength of the Series 9 trailer, it's looking excellent.

• 2 months later...

POTD-DALEK_3444062k.jpg

The daily commute. Actually that's a lie. Today I saw really some Fijians and and English Morris group in a dance off being filmed for a TV piece for tonight's world cup match.

Also, http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/doctor-who/10468029/Doctor-Who-50-things-you-didnt-know.html

• 7 months later...

Doctor Who: New Companion (teaser trailer) 

I hope Pearl Mackie will bring some new energy to the show. I didn't much care for the last season. 

I have mixed feelings about her debut teaser.  She came off kinda dumb.  But of course if I didn't know anything about Daleks I would probably ask the same things.  Cause they are kinda stupid.  

My hope is that she is just a companion.  Not a love interest, no huge mystery built around her.  Just someone to get into adventures with.  Also she has an 80's vibe.  Maybe she is not from present day, or Earth for that matter.  

BTW I quite liked last season.  

• 11 months later...

Yeah I thought it was decent. I liked Bill as a companion and Capaldi and her seem to have good chemistry together. Though now that we know this is it for Moffat and Capaldi it just makes me want to skip ahead to the end of the season when Missy and The Master will no doubt show up and things get interesting.

It'll be interesting to see how this season does. Besides the two lackluster Christmas specials we haven't had a normal Who episode since 2015, long enough for the audience to lose interest.

I heard a lot of speculation about Olivia Colman, she starred in Broadchurch which was run by the new showrunner Chris Chibnall. Or Richard Ayoade from The IT Crowd, he'd be a good choice.

Yeah I thought it was decent. I liked Bill as a companion and Capaldi and her seem to have good chemistry together. Though now that we know this is it for Moffat and Capaldi it just makes me want to skip ahead to the end of the season when Missy and The Master will no doubt show up and things get interesting.

It'll be interesting to see how this season does. Besides the two lackluster Christmas specials we haven't had a normal Who episode since 2015, long enough for the audience to lose interest.

This seemed to be more of a soft reboot of the show.  I read a review that likened it more to the first Nu-Who episode "Rose."  Which is pretty fair in my estimation.  Anytime they introduce a new companion it makes it fresh again.  Also I am glad that there is no over arching mystery around Bill (as of yet), after Amy and Clara it would just be tiresome.  

I heard a lot of speculation about Olivia Colman, she starred in Broadchurch which was run by the new showrunner Chris Chibnall. Or Richard Ayoade from The IT Crowd, he'd be a good choice.

The Sun is reporting it is this guy:  

MV5BMTQzMTQzMjEyMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjQx

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/3339851/new-doctor-who-revealed-as-kris-marshall-takes-over-from-peter-capaldi-and-has-already-joined-the-cast/

So, it looks like after an old white guy, they will go back to the young white guy.  But hey at least he is a ginger.

Yeah, he better make a comment on finally being ginger! It makes sense though, there was speculation the BBC brass wanted to go young, more Tennant/Smith-esque. 

I'm only familiar with him from Love Actually, which the wife and I hate-watch every Christmas, so I can't really judge him based on his acting, but he certainly has the look of The Doctor. If he actually already has been filming like The Sun is saying, that's very interesting. I know we see The Doctor regenerate a bit in the promos but I assumed that wasn't actually going to happen for real till the end of the finale/Christmas episode. The Doctor just regenerating without an announcement would be very exciting. 

Yeah, he better make a comment on finally being ginger! It makes sense though, there was speculation the BBC brass wanted to go young, more Tennant/Smith-esque. 

I'm only familiar with him from Love Actually, which the wife and I hate-watch every Christmas, so I can't really judge him based on his acting, but he certainly has the look of The Doctor. If he actually already has been filming like The Sun is saying, that's very interesting. I know we see The Doctor regenerate a bit in the promos but I assumed that wasn't actually going to happen for real till the end of the finale/Christmas episode. The Doctor just regenerating without an announcement would be very exciting. 

I just watched some clips of My Family, the sitcom Kris was in awhile back.  Man, I forgot how truly awful British sitcoms are.  

• 2 months later...

That was a pretty good ending to an otherwise mediocre season. Glad the rumours were true, once I heard Bradley's voice I got very excited. 

But I'm excited for the Moffat era to end and for a new Doctor on Christmas. 

• 2 weeks later...