• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm loving this to the extent that I've been rationing how much of it I read, because I don't want it to end.

24671479.JPG

quite an endorsement, laura! *noted*

A Shortcut in Time - Charles Dickinson

A Wrinkle In the Sun - John Christopher

Twilight - Nicholas S. Stember

Lost Child - Marrianne White

Earth, The New Frontier - Adam Celava

The Door into Summer - Robert A. Heinlein

The Mole People: Life in the Tunnels Beneath New York City - Jennifer Toth

If These Halls Could Talk: A Historical Tour through San Francisco Recording Studios - Heather Johnson

Break on Through: The Life and Death of Jim Morrison - James Riordan and Jerry Prochnicky

Zappa: A Biography - Barry Miles

thanks to recent plugs from lammycat and kidsmoke, i've started to tackle Peace Like a River for the first time. loving it so far.

Good for you. Enger writes uniquely and brilliantly imo. There are times reading that book where I'll just pause to re-read some magnificently constructed sentece/phrase/section.

I really hope he puts out more work. He supposedly wrote under a pen name with his brother for some mystery books for a spell, but I'd love to see another novel as richly written as Peace....

what a great book.

I agree, though I enjoyed both Fay and The Rabbit Factory more so. Brown is one of my favorites. I started his last novel, published post-humously, A Miracle of Catfish before the holidays and need to finish it. Per Brown, very well done so far.

Guest David Puddy
Good for you. Enger writes uniquely and brilliantly imo. There are times reading that book where I'll just pause to re-read some magnificently constructed sentece/phrase/section.

dead on... i've already had a few such pauses, and i'm only 80 pages in.

I really hope he puts out more work. He supposedly wrote under a pen name with his brother for some mystery books for a spell, but I'd love to see another novel as richly written as Peace....

you're in luck, here is info on the new novel:

http://www.amazon.com/So-Brave-Young-Hands...6253&sr=1-2

I am reading 6 books presently; three books of poetry, one dictionary and two other more esoteric titles. (Thank you g, you da best book pal. :wub)

This came in the mail Saturday, and has been taunting me ever since. OK, seven books. I finally gave in this afternoon:

20184185.JPG

Laura, I didn't realize that you followed through on your promise to start a book blog until I saw your sig. :thumbup

41taGzp2nwL._AA240_.jpg

Before I became a mother, this book would have terrified me. Now, it's validating and comforting.

This looks quite good.

(I have lurked on Laura's blog. :yes)

I just think it's a trip that he has kept the lists all these years.

I agree. Sometimes I forget about good reads I've completed until I hear or see them mentioned somewhere. A list isn't a bad idea though I'd probably never do it.

And 50 books/year is a hefty amount. I wish I had the time and energy for that many. Sooo many books I have lined up....

Speaking of book blogs, Yann Martel's "What is Stephen Harper Reading?" is pretty funny. Some great suggestions, too!

Who is this man? What makes him tick? No doubt he is busy. No doubt he is deluded by that busyness. No doubt being Prime Minister fills his entire consideration and froths his sense of busied importance to the very brim. And no doubt he sounds and governs like one who cares little for the arts.

But he must have moments of stillness. And so this is what I propose to do: not to educate