(The previous Now Reading thread is still available here, if anyone is looking for it.)

12428195.jpg

which is a re-telling of this

11590181.jpg

1. I don't like it when the picture I find on-line is not the same as the book that I own (Family Daughter is the same, but I've got a different cover for Liars and Saints).

2. The author is Colin Meloy's sister.

3. I haven't been reading many real books lately (except for, you know, Harry Potter...), so I'm enjoying this one maybe a bit more than it deserves.

4. I'm not sure how I feel about the "re-telling" conceit. I would have said the first book was better, but that may just be because I resent the device.

5. The above comments are not listed in order of importance, just the order they came into my head. Which might say something about my priorities, or maybe not.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"The Relief Pitcher: Baseball's New Hero" by my man John Thorn. Very interesting account of relief pitching.

Roland Barthes - The Pleasure of the Text

And a book compiled of Jean Baudrillard quotes.

Both of these books give me a hard on just thinking about them. Post what you think after you're finished, I'm interested to hear.

11530319.jpg

I'd been waiting for this one to come out in paperback. :dancing

Thanks to psychology and the psychological concerns of Western culture generally' date=' we have a rich language for describing the emotions drawing one person to another - from the most fleeting sexual attractions, to ego-dissolving love, all the way to the destructive force of obsession. What we lack is any way of describing and understanding the "love" that may exist among dozens of people at a time; and it is this kind of love that is expressed in ecstatic ritual.[/quote']
Both of these books give me a hard on just thinking about them. Post what you think after you're finished, I'm interested to hear.

It might be awhile (kind of dense reading), but I'll try to remember.

Sir S.- did you finish The Teammates already? I'm almost done with Opening Day and was going to start a biography on Billy the Kid but might jump to The Teammates if it's a worthwhile read....

I'm halfway through Teammates - I was getting really into it, but my What is the What number just came in at the library, and I've only got it for three weeks, so I'm gonna tear through it and get back to Teddy and the boys. I definitely recommend it - you have it, right?

51K7W5SVKJL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

I'm taking some time doing some very light reading right now and digging my way through Tom Clancy's Op-Center series. I purchased the first 8 books roughly 3 years ago used through eBay for maybe 20 bucks and have never actually sat down to read through them. Quite entertaining actually.