• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

grapes of wrath

I finally read this a few months ago. How I managed to major in English without reading it, I have no idea. I'm glad I finally did.

I'm muddling through the sixth Harry Potter book out of some misguided sense of obligation. I can't say I'm getting much out of it, but I'll probably finish it and the final one because ... I don't know ... it's the law, right?

I finally read this a few months ago. How I managed to major in English without reading it, I have no idea.

I majored in English as well and didn't get a chance to read a lot of the books until after I got the degree.

I started a re-read of On the Road this week. Not the revised version.

• 2 weeks later...

Fortresssolitudecvr.jpg

I'm about 70 pages in. It's beautifully written. Captures childhood thus far in amazingly subtle detail.

I can't tell if books like this inspire me as a writer or just make me frustrated that I'll never do anything as good. Probably a little bit of both...

I think I posted in here awhile back that I started War and Peace. I finished it this weekend. Jeez that's a heavy book. Literally and figuratively. Tolstoy is the shiznit. My only disappointment is that I have no one to chat with about it. I am sure I missed a billion things and would love to see what other people took away from it. Oh well. I can check one more thing off of the "before I die" checklist.

I have no idea where to go next but I have a feeling it will be very funny and very easy and very short. :lol

:cheers I completely agree, Kate!

I'm reading this one now, and it's been making me think a lot of Imperial Life. The author worked for the Coalition as a provincial governor. It's fascinating.

13851969.JPG

250px-Revroad.jpg

Not sure how I got through being an English major without ever hearing about his book.

this is a great book, perfectly written...

they are adapting it for the screen, with Leo DiCaprio in the lead.

Yates' other books are excellent as well.

He is probably my favorite writer, and that is an incredibly entertaining read. I think I finished it in a day.

I've only read "A Walk in the Woods" which I really liked. This one seems just as good, so far.

My reading ebbs and flows according to the season. Now winding down the gardening/swimming/biking season. Time to begin digesting the big pile of words that I have been gathering up all summer.

Just started:

animal_veg_miracle.jpg

After many recommendations from the board, and especially viatroy. One of my favorite authors! You're right, chica. It totally reminds me of me, too. :cheekkiss