• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i gave up on that philip roth book. it wasn't very good. i think i'm going to read the his dark materials series right after i finish reading a book about a WWI poet in an asylum who wasn't mentally ill.

Just started East of Eden.

read that earlier this summer and it just blew me away. I've always liked the Steinbeck that I read, but this was on a different level. I am pretty jealous that you are just starting it. I hope you enjoy it!

I both love and hate this thread, because my To Read list is already so long ... but so many of the books people here are reading look good.

I'm reading

067975833X.jpg

I've been on this one for a week or so, and hope I can find time to finish it tonight. You know how sometimes you'll read a book and think it's interesting, and when you're done you're glad you read it, but at the same time you didn't really enjoy the act of reading it? This definitely is not one of those books. I'm really liking it, and it's reminding me of my youthful mini-obsession with the Civil War.

I both love and hate this thread, because my To Read list is already so long ... but so many of the books people here are reading look good.

I'm reading

067975833X.jpg

I've been on this one for a week or so, and hope I can find time to finish it tonight. You know how sometimes you'll read a book and think it's interesting, and when you're done you're glad you read it, but at the same time you didn't really enjoy the act of reading it? This definitely is not one of those books. I'm really liking it, and it's reminding me of my youthful mini-obsession with the Civil War.

I have had that on my shelf for a few years, but have yet to read it. Graham read it awhile back. One of these days.....one of these days.......

Graham is reading Branch's At Canaan's Edge - which is the third installment of that series and really seems to like it. They are such large and intimidating books. One day I hope to read all three.

My older ones have been doing the Magic Treehouse series lately.

The kids were reading Magic Treehouse books on our vacation last week. I don't think I'd ever seen them before, but they looked pretty decent.

We also spent a good part of the week reading the last half of this, aloud:

13536544.JPG

And for my more adult-themed version of the Harry Potter series, over the course of the week I also managed to re-read all of these:

12781154.jpg

More Tales of the City

Further Tales of the City

Babycakes

Significant Others

and

Sure of You

before diving into the latest in the series:

12904170.jpg

The author claims that this is not the seventh book in the Tales series, but... yeah, right. Also: 18 years since the last one! I'd like to see Harry Potter fans hold out for that long!

I was just looking at my copy of Tales of the City last night, and wondering if I'd ever read it. It was a gift from a friend.

Lindsey and I both have a stack of books that we've recommended to each other, The Tales books are in mine. I think I might take one to Denver this week. This house looks a library.

Lindsey is crazy about the Tales of the City books.

And I'm crazy about Lindsey, so there you go.

I go on vacation for 5 minutes, and look who's back! :cheekkiss

I've read all of the Tales of the City books about a gazillion times each. When I was a kid, it was a serial in the SF Chronicle, and I remember my mom and all my aunts reading it and being scandalized and loving every word of it. It's really a perfect time capsule of San Francisco in the 70s and 80s, they're sweet and sad and absolutely ridiculous. The new one isn't quite as fabulous, but it was still nice to spend a little more time with these people.

And for anyone who's a fan and wants to visit, the inspiration for Barbary Lane is right here.

And I'm crazy about Lindsey, so there you go.

I go on vacation for 5 minutes, and look who's back! :cheekkiss

She's crazy about you too. I think you are pretty alright too :cheekkiss

Oh and I'm reading The Book of Yaak by Rick Bass.

6105VTM66ZL._AA240_.jpg

Fascinating. I'm about 100 pages into it and I can't put it down. It's hard to decribe what this book is actually about, but he has managed to tie in WWII Jewish woodland fighters, resurrection myths, Tacitus' history of the German tribes and Magritte all in the first 100 pages. Highly recommended if you're interested in that sort of thing.

• 2 weeks later...