since you are just recently digesting 'doolittle', i reccomend the 33 1/3 on that album...it's actually one of the most solid and well put-together of them i've read so far.

I was just reading about that one. How's the "Paul's Boutique" one?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Fantastic. Those are two really good ones to start with...take a look at the list, see which others pique your interest for a third choice and i'll tell you if i've read them or not.

The Replacements, or Ok Computer?

The Replacements, or Ok Computer?

I read the 'Mats one...it had very little to do w/ the actual album and while I hate Collin Meloy, it was still a really cool read about his personal education in music and how it shaped his life. the album kind of served as a catalyst to a much bigger tale.

didn't read the radiohead one yet.

I read the 'Mats one...it had very little to do w/ the actual album and while I hate Collin Meloy, it was still a really cool read about his personal education in music and how it shaped his life. the album kind of served as a catalyst to a much bigger tale.

Cool. I've been on a big "Let It Be" kick the last few months, so maybe I'll go with this one.

• 3 weeks later...

I need some book help.....I don't really read a lot of fiction, but at the end of the semester I would like to indulge in just one delicious, enjoyable read before I spend the bulk of my Christmas break studying.

I am looking for something like Secret Life of Bees, Water For Elephants.....nothing too heavy, but I also don't want silly fluff......

I am especially looking at Christy, Laura, Maudie and Brianne for help......

:D

On my shelf, I have The Time Traveler's Wife and The Glass Castle - both of which I know have gotten good reviews. Maybe one of those? Something else?

I need some book help.....I don't really read a lot of fiction, but at the end of the semester I would like to indulge in just one delicious, enjoyable read before I spend the bulk of my Christmas break studying.

I am looking for something like Secret Life of Bees, Water For Elephants.....nothing too heavy, but I also don't want silly fluff......

I'm really benjoying the hell out of Water For Elephants....great book

May I suggest "A Prayer For Owen Meany" by John Irving? Great story

EDIT: It's a bit on the heavy side....emotionally, and it may take you 50 or so pages to get into it but if you stick with it you will be glad you did. I can't reccomend this book enough, its easily in my top 5 all time

A Prayer for Owen Meany is one of my all time favorites. :wub

I also LOVED The World According to Garp - I have had trouble getting into other Irving novels though.

well hell.....it is really great is it not? Try some of his other stuff

I'm really benjoying the hell out of Water For Elephants....great book

I finished it a few weeks ago. Very good read.

Reni, if you haven't read Peace Like A River it may be up your alley. Beautifully written book. FTR, I enjoyed The Secret Life of Bees very much, too.

that's funny- a couple minutes ago, after Graham read my post he said, "did you ever read Peace Like a River?"

I started it earlier in the year, but never finished it.....I do remember liking what I had read so far. :)

On my shelf, I have The Time Traveler's Wife and The Glass Castle - both of which I know have gotten good reviews. Maybe one of those? Something else?

:cheekkiss

Congrats on finishing your semester, Kate! I've read both Time Traveler's Wife and the Glass Castle. The Glass Castle is a memoir that can be a bit heavy at times so I don't think it's appropriate for right now. Time Traveler's Wife, on the other hand, would be a perfect treat for you. I loved it and I think you'd enjoy it.

"Water for Elephants" is fabulous! I was skeptical about it at first, but it wound up being my favorite book of 2006.

I'm reading "Open Me" by Sunshine O'Donnell, and I keep meaning to mention it to you. Not sure why, but every time I read it I think it might be something you'd like. I'm completely engrossed in it.

Just finished "What You Have Left" by Will Allison. Good, quick read that still manages to have some depth.

Have you read any of Julia Glass' novels? "Three Junes" and "The Whole World Over" are both excellent.

Yay for reading for fun!

Kate, I've posted about this one before, but have you read Crossing California? It's set in Chicago in the 70s, I believe you're familiar with the neighborhood. ;) Kathy and Trish and I all loved it.

Add me to the list of people who loved that one! The sequel, The Washington Story, isn't as good, but it's still a worthwhile read.

Add me to the list of people who loved that one! The sequel, The Washington Story, isn't as good, but it's still a worthwhile read.

My sister Trish is stridently anti-sequel, but if she knows it's out there, she has to read it. :lol We all agreed on that one, too, not nearly as good as the first one.

I loved Three Junes, too. :yes

Thanks for the recommendations guys!! Now I have a few more things to add to my wishlist!! :)

I have decided to go with.......

9780064405379.jpg

I am almost finished with The Magician's Nephew - though had started it awhile back. I know I can't get through them all in a short period of time. But, they are so quick and fun that I hope to plow through 2 or 3. :yes