• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Re-reading this one (for the 3rd time), easily one of my favorite novels:

th_44854_cryptonomicon_122_204lo.jpg

Reading this one at work, was loaned to me from a friend. Not really grabbing me:

th_44859_055338368X_01__SCLZZZZZZZ__122_1113lo.jpg

Next up will be re-reading Ken Follet's amazing Pillars of the Earth, because I've recently met him and got signed copies of that plus it's sequel which has just come out called World Without End, which of course I'll read after Pillars.

Re-reading this one (for the 3rd time), easily one of my favorite novels:

th_44854_cryptonomicon_122_204lo.jpg

:thumbup

Exhausting, but rewarding. Maybe I should read that again.

That, or maybe The Diamond Age.

The Now Reading thread is now reminding me that I need to stop reading so many magazines and whichever books the kids are reading so that I can discuss them with them, and also watching so much crap TV, so that I can read some real books again, damn it.

9099771.jpg

:cryin :barf

But it must be done! I can't wait until mid-December, after exams I'll be drowning in books, but it will be books of my choice for once.

EDIT: I can't believe my 100th post was used to complain about stats. Boourns.

you know what book I really want to read right now?

aferdi.jpg

I found out just this last week that my grandmother bought this for me, and used to read this to me when I was still tucked inside my mother. She died two weeks before I was born. It was my favorite book growing up. :wub

I found out just this last week that my grandmother bought this for me, and used to read this to me when I was still tucked inside my mother. She died two weeks before I was born. It was my favorite book growing up. :wub

That is really cool.

I've got about 100 pages left of Water for Elephants to go but this came in yesterday and I started it last night:

51IxR8ICL.jpg

I always like getting a balanced take on people and this certainly seems to be one. Jann Wenner was obviously very tight with HST and he, along with the other author (who worked as an assistant/researcher for HST for about a decade), hand-picked the content of the material for the book from over three-times the amount of interviews that actually made the cut.

It's got a lot of the crazy shit he was known for in it but also has the other side that only those very close to him can give us: the sensitivity, chivalry, kindness, etc. that often gets left out when he's remembered by most people unfamiliar with the man, not necessarily "the writer."

Also, for those that appreciate HST's works, there's a new, massive book (700+ pages) coming out in Feb. that is along the lines of his collections of essays-type books. It's titled "The Mutineer: Rants, Ravings, and Missives from the Mountaintop 1977-2005." Looking forward to this:

hstmutineer.jpg

51W6di3TuIL._AA240_.jpg

I don't have this yet but thought I'd let those interested know that it is available now (and I guess has been for a month) and not the mid-Nov release date it had been listed at.

you know what book I really want to read right now?

aferdi.jpg

I still have my copy of "Ferdinand" that my granny bought for me. Loved that book!

I'm waiting for the new Richard Russo from the library. In the meantime I'm reading "How to Traumatize Your Children" and a collection of Eudora Welty short stories.

• 2 weeks later...
good as of a place to give heads-up:

'Buy 2 Get 1 Free! For a limited time, buy two new (not used or sale) books from Continuum Books' 33 1/3 series, featuring critical writing on seminal albums, and get a third free.'

@ Powells.com

As i'm collecting the buggers, I stocked up proper.

Awesome, man. I've been wanting to start reading these.