14778612.JPG

So I've started listening to audio books on the way to/from work. If you are interested in American history (i'm a total Civil War buff) then this is a must read.

Something tells me that an audio book such as that, on the Civil War, is going to require quite a bit of gas to finally complete.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

51tddaAA4WL.jpg

A fun read... Light, exciting. All the better because it's supposedly a true story. I heard the movie (21 - based loosely on this book) was kind of lame. Next up...

looming.jpg

A little more serious subject matter.

Just finishing up this:

41W15jLTK5L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Got a load of book vouchers when I left my job last month, and spent wisely. This is an absolute hoot!

51D11CE8JFL._SS500_.jpg

That's really good! I bought it for a friend and he lent it to me once he finished. Some great stories.

That's really good! I bought it for a friend and he lent it to me once he finished. Some great stories.

I read "Highbury: The Story Of Arsenal In N5" by Jon Spurling and that was good too. Looking forward to getting into the Rebels book.

Just finishing this, awesome, as Sedaris always is.

Yes, Engulfed was fantastic and hilarious.

Now reading Three Cups of Tea.

Not really history, more like a memoir. She talks about what daily life was like on a farm and what kinds of things they did for fun and stuff like that. She includes some recipes and some home remedy type things. I thought it was interesting, but then again, I'm a huge nerd.

Finished "...Flames" by Sedaris and I actually thought it was his poorest work to date.

Currently reading:

The River Why, by David James Duncan

and, really looking forward to reading this:

running(US).jpg

Happeningstone, I loved Three cups of Tea. Such a great, hopeful story.

redpillbox, let us know how Duncan's "The River Why" is. His "The Brothers K" is one of my favorite books ever, one of those you just never want to end because you are so swept up in the saga. :thumbup

redpillbox, let us know how Duncan's "The River Why" is. His "The Brothers K" is one of my favorite books ever, one of those you just never want to end because you are so swept up in the saga. :thumbup

It took me a while to get into it, but I found that Duncan hits his stride about 50 pages in. His characters are compelling and funny. His ideas and themes are large in scope and ambition. In short, he's asking some fundamental questions. That is brave of him as a writer because themes as big and broad as "why we are here?" and "what's this crazy thing all about?" are extremely hard to pull off without sounding preachy or dogmatic and I think (I'm not done yet) that he's succeeding poetically. I mean, it's a book largely about fly-fishing and I don't fish, but I'm still reading. :yes

The Brothers K had exactly the quality you describe. That also took me awhile to get into, but then suddenly I was so hooked I could hardly put it down. That book had a lot to do with baseball, which I have no particular interest in, but the sweep of the bigger story was so hearfelt and true, emotionally, that it totally won me over.

Jay - I have a boatload of terrace culture books if you're ever interested. Some are hard to find in the states - I could always lend them over your way.

Yes, that would be great :cheers