• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Redpill, tell me more about your take on "Flames." Too 'light'?

I don't know...I love Sedaris and my favorites of his are "Me Talk Pretty..." and "Dress Your Family..." This one just felt really self-conscious. It could be the over-sensitivity to the whole memoir genre that's going on right now. Back when James Frey was going through his controversy some upstart journalist tried to paint Sedaris with the same brush and he's (Sedaris) said that he was really upset about the whole thing. He sprinkles little disclaimers throughout the stories, such as "There was a woman, I'll call her Susan..." Now is this a big deal? Not in the big scheme of things and it could be his publisher that required that (I hope not), but I just found it distracting and it completely throws off the rhythm of his story, which is so crucial to Sedaris. Also, the subject matter seemed a bit forced...Could've just been my mood though.

Just started:

10427442.jpg

and already love it!

Really enjoyable book.

Disturbing, excellent and scholarly book on the aggressive application of free-market capitalism on vulnerable nations in periods of crisis -- economic, political or natural. Klein dissects examples of Milton Friedman's doctrine around the world (Chile, Argentina, Poland, South Africa, Russia, Asia, Iraq yada yada) as it's powerful proponents planned and enabled the wholesale transfer of public dollars and assets into the wealthiest (offshore) pockets. The human suffering caused by greedy corporatization is staggering -- I won't go into the numbers -- the book is packed w/them -- but an ideology that's based on pure economic self-interest doesn't seem to be working out well for the millions it has impoverished.

If you're interested in the state of the world, this book really lays it out in terms you won't hear from corporate or politicized sources.

big0805079831.jpg

A friend tells me I should just stop reading books by women named Naomi.

I don't know...I love Sedaris and my favorites of his are "Me Talk Pretty..." and "Dress Your Family..." This one just felt really self-conscious. It could be the over-sensitivity to the whole memoir genre that's going on right now. Back when James Frey was going through his controversy some upstart journalist tried to paint Sedaris with the same brush and he's (Sedaris) said that he was really upset about the whole thing. He sprinkles little disclaimers throughout the stories, such as "There was a woman, I'll call her Susan..." Now is this a big deal? Not in the big scheme of things and it could be his publisher that required that (I hope not), but I just found it distracting and it completely throws off the rhythm of his story, which is so crucial to Sedaris. Also, the subject matter seemed a bit forced...Could've just been my mood though.

I've tried to talk to four or five different people about the "I'll call her..." device in this book because it was so heavy-handed. I hope to see him on his lecture tour this fall, and if the opportunity arises, I'm going to ask him about it. I don't know that his editor forced his hand on it, but I'm sure that it's in response to the Frey/memoir thing. Burroughs has been getting some heat for his "Wolf At The Table," too. I also heard Sedaris on Fresh Air in early June, and he was talking about the painstaking fact checking that happens. For example, he originally wrote that a particular piece of artwork he bought cost more than the average person pays for auto insurance per year. The fact-checker said, "Actually, it costs more than that." Sedaris said, "Okay, the average epileptic" and hung up. The Fact-checker called back and said, "Nope, it would have to be the average epiletic in Connecticut." In the book he changed it to...I can't remember what, but his point was that things that aren't even the focus of the story are now under so much scrutiny that it pulls from the story's center.

My favorite is "Me Talk Pretty...," but I'm thrilled to finally read a few of the essays I heard live in '03 (e.g. Buddy Can You Spare A Tie?) I don't think it's his most thoughtful work, but it made me laugh out loud so many times and had so many images that have stuck with me (smoking menthols: getting kicked by a donkey; smoking regular cigarettes: getting kicked by a donkey wearing socks) that I can't help but love it.

Just finished Brief, Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz. Highly recommended. If I didn't have a pile of books already that I'm excited to read, I would probably read it again. Next year.

51qJre5CApL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Just started this but I'm really liking it.

If you are interested in urban planning, China, or urban planning in China, check it out.

I'd love a follow-up on this one you finish it -- I have a friend who's an urban planner and this could make a really easy Christmas gift!

I've tried to talk to four or five different people about the "I'll call her..." device in this book because it was so heavy-handed. I hope to see him on his lecture tour this fall, and if the opportunity arises, I'm going to ask him about it.

Definitely let me know if you happen to get this information as I would be really curious to know how all that went down.

twilight_book_cover.jpg

I know I'm a little behind the times. But my best friend JUST got into this herself. I thought it was INCREDIBLE!!! I felt everything Bella did and got VERY lost in Forks while I was on vacation...*sigh*

I'm picking up the 2nd one Tuesday so I can hurry up and get to the 3rd and 4th before anyone spoils anything for me.

Oh and I AM 'Team Edward' :thumbup

The Dark Tower I: The Gunslinger (1982)

The Dark Tower II: The Drawing of the Three (1987)

The Dark Tower III: The Waste Lands (1991)

The Dark Tower IV: Wizard and Glass (1997)

The Dark Tower V: Wolves of the Calla (2003)

The Dark Tower VI: Song of Susannah (2004)

The Dark Tower VII: The Dark Tower (2004)