• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

477eb3465d409_Oxenhandler%20-%20The%20Wishing%20Year.jpg

The Wishing Year by Noelle Oxenhandler is the non fictional account of an experiment in desire. Oxenhandler takes one year to explore the act of wishing- think birthday candles, genies in a bottle, a wishing well. She focuses her desires on 3 very different wishes- a house (after years of house rental), a man (after the end of a long marriage), and spiritual healing (after a painful separation from her spiritual community). She decides to try
fixed it

:lol

Will report back. Just read the intro. I've had this one earmarked for vacation for several months.

Naw, that stuff's right up my alley. I've already reserved a copy at the library.

Emily Raboteau's The Professor's Daughter is a pretty darn good novel.

I've been reading and re-reading a bunch of Stewart O'Nan lately. That guy is one hell of a writer. I highly recommend The Names of the Dead, Wish You Were Here, and especially Snow Angels but all of his stuff is flat-out wonderful.

A good non-fiction book to look forward to later this year is John Lennon: The Life, by Philip Norman. It's 800 pages long, but it's fascinating. Lots and lots of pre-Beatles and post-Beatles stuff, along with the usual 1961-1970 coverage. Norman digs up some good dirt about John's relationships with his parents. Let's just say there was more than a bit of Oedipal stuff going on with Julia.

I'm now reading Crisis of Empire: Britain and America in the Eighteenth Century and it's boring as hell. All you history buffs should stay far away from this one. Ya know, sometimes, being a book reviewer is a real drag...

51%209S1%20saML._SL500_BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

Holy hell this is some great stuff. I know I like a book when it makes me laugh out loud at the sheer ridiculous-ness.

I just started that recently as well. After just finishing David Sedaris' "naked" and "when engulfed in flames"

Just started "Garcia" by Blair Jackson.

Have you read "Living with the Dead" by Rock Scully? I loved this account of the band, especially Garcia. It's out of print now, but I think you can still find it through Harvest Book Search.

Have you read "Living with the Dead" by Rock Scully? I loved this account of the band, especially Garcia. It's out of print now, but I think you can still find it through Harvest Book Search.

Not so much an account, as a dark comedy.

I read "The Crucible" by Arthur Miller the other day and am currently reading:

1853260738.jpg

Next up is Romeo and Juliet and The Scarlett Letter. I've been going to the library instead of buying books because I spend so much money on books, it's crazy. Our library is dinky and doesn't have hardly any newer books unless they are by Janet Evanovich or Danielle Steele, so I'm stuck with the classics.

Nothing you didn't already know?

Not even. It's weird. I think the series usually explores albums and goes into the making of the album or the influence or impact of the album, etc. Not this one. This one was "faction" (as described on the back cover). Basically, it traces the fictional life of a 20-something drug dealer who moves up to Woodstock for the summer and ends up being a casual friend of a few members of the band, and supplies them with some drugs. The book explores the kid's life -- including a trip home to visit his Dad when his Mom dies, and his crush on a gal, etc. -- and ends up becoming a biography of this ficitonal guy instead of a book about the album. Richard Manuel and Rick Danko are prominently involved, and Dylan makes a couple of appearances (at parties), but there is little to no exploration of the album except through this kid's eyes, and even then, it's only briefly. This one left me scratching my head.