I've noticed that the Narnia books are in different order in some sets too. I wondered what was up with that.

I'm reading them in whatever order the movies are in.

I love the Narnia books. I just wish my kids would appreciate them.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5174ysLzxL.jpg

If you were ever a fan of Little Golden Books, you should absolutely pick this one up. I'm loving it - anecdotes about the authors and illustrators as well as the company, and fantastic illustrations from Golden Books through the years.

5174ysLzxL.jpg

If you were ever a fan of Little Golden Books, you should absolutely pick this one up. I'm loving it - anecdotes about the authors and illustrators as well as the company, and fantastic illustrations from Golden Books through the years.

Holy crap! I had that EXACT book she is holding when I was a kid. Extreme wave of nostalgia.........

:whoo B, that looks great!

Ooh, Leonard Marcus sure has carved out a sweet little niche for himself, hasn't he?

5174ysLzxL.jpg

:wub

How had I not heard about this?!!! Thank you for the heads up, B! Please tell me that there's some Richard Scarry content.

My Golden Book collecting is getting a little out of control...:blush

I didn't realize that I was "collecting"....I just have the multitudes of golden books that my 3 kids owned. But yes, let's call it collecting! :thumbup

Stepping about as far from Golden Books as is possible; by the way, Laura, I loved "The Things They Carried" and "Lake of the Woods" by Tim O' Brien. Amazing, haunting stuff. "The Things They Carried" was hard to read both for its intense subject matter and also because it really brought back those years, those horrible nightly broadcasts and awful newpaper reports. That was an ugly time.

Stepping about as far from Golden Books as is possible; by the way, Laura, I loved "The Things They Carried" and "Lake of the Woods" by Tim O' Brien. Amazing, haunting stuff. "The Things They Carried" was hard to read both for its intense subject matter and also because it really brought back those years, those horrible nightly broadcasts and awful newpaper reports. That was an ugly time.

I'm less enamored of Tim O'Brien's later books, but The Things They Carried and Going After Cacciato are two of my all-time faves. :thumbup

5174ysLzxL.jpg

oh wow, that sounds awesome. those were a staple of my youth and it was one of the coolest dad moemnts ever when we got the boys their first golden books.

"The Things They Carried" was hard to read both for its intense subject matter and also because it really brought back those years, those horrible nightly broadcasts and awful newpaper reports. That was an ugly time.

Off the subject of books, but there is a part of me that wishes those horrible nightly broadcasts would spill out into the laps of Americans with this war.

Sorry. Carry on.

Off the subject of books, but there is a part of me that wishes those horrible nightly broadcasts would spill out into the laps of Americans with this war.

Sorry. Carry on.

I

Sorry. Carry on.

I've had that very same thought, Chris. Instead we get Parade magazine covers showing courageous vets trying to recover from horrible disfiguring injuries. Of course I wish them all the best, but all I could think when seeing yesterday's cover was, "What a terrible waste." Just like Vietnam. :ohwell

I

This was my train reading last week:

collectedpoems-vert-rig.jpg

I'd read all of her collections individually over the years, but it's wonderful that her work is finally back in print. Her poems are brave a beautiful--a bit challenging at times, but always worth the effort.

I was really bored today and read this in its entirety:

arabian_jazz.jpg

It was a well-written family saga that handles themes of memory, loss, commitment, and identity without being heavy-handed. I enjoyed her novel Crescent more, but this was still very good.

I hadn't been reading as much I'd have liked to for a while, but for the past few weeks I've been bingeing. And it feels good! Recently finished:

13227867.JPG

24667241.jpg

7221975.jpg

(Again! Keeping my niece company while she reads it...)

10308978.jpg

7350808.jpg