YOUNG PLAYS NEW RECORD FOR REPRISE

NY Times, August 16, 2007

Continuing a tradition that goes back to 1969, Neil Young played his latest recording for Reprise yesterday. The recording was played for about 100 people in Burbank. Produced by "The Volume Dealers," NY and Niko Bolas, the recording runs 60+ minutes and includes two giant songs that time in at 18:30 and 13:00, respectively.

Drawing from three songs written previously, and 7 new songs, the latest Neil Young is a very diverse recording. A release date is unknown at this time. The title is Chrome Dreams II.

Chrome Dreams is a legendary NY album from 1977 that had originally been scheduled for release but was shelved. The original cover for Chrome Dreams was created by Neil's long-time producer and friend, the late David Briggs. Unfortunately, all original documentation and art for this album was lost in a fire that destroyed Neil's Malibu home in early 1978.

source

A recent post on Rust by tordon2000 from a WEA schedule release sheet:

"New cd Chrome Dream tentatively scheduled Oct. 16. Touring for 7 weeks beginning Oct. 13. Performing at Farm Aid Sept 9 & Bridge School Oct 27-28. To be determined date in 2008 cd & dvd archive set includes 8 cds, 3 dvds, & 160 page book in box packaging."

source

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

chrome dreams (rust edition)

Pocahontas

Will To Love

Star Of Bethlehem

Like A Hurricane

Too Far Gone

Hold Back The Tears

Homegrown

Captain Kennedy

Stringman

Sedan Delivery

Powderfinger

Look Out For My Love

River Of Pride

Campaigner

No One Seems To Know

Give Me Strength

Peace Of Mind

Human Highway

i'd post a YSI link here if any moderator will weigh in and give permission. the record was never commercially released and i've got a digitally remastered version on my machine.

never heard a digitally remastered version before. i love the version of Pocahontas on that. hopefully the moderators will let you off.

Are we still calling Life During War a masterpiece, or did we stop that?

I will. And it's Living With War. Way better than anything he's done since Ragged Glory. I'd say it's his best since rust never sleeps, but that's just me.

So evidently one of the old songs (and probalby the 13 minute song if i had to guess) is going to be Ordinary People. Ordinary people is probalby in my top 10 fav neil songs EVER!! I'm excited to hear it because i only have a copy from an old bootleg in the 80's.

"I do not know the players, but it was friends of Neil, as always. All new recordings, done in an auto repair garage. They laid down rubber mats with holes and then poured wood shavings in the holes to absorb some sound. Recorded live, I think very few overdubs, minimal processing. Yes there was aa songs or two that had horns-I believe Ordinary Poeple was one of them"

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gea...dreams-2-a.html

chrome dreams (rust edition)

Pocahontas

Will To Love

Star Of Bethlehem

Like A Hurricane

Too Far Gone

Hold Back The Tears

Homegrown

Captain Kennedy

Stringman

Sedan Delivery

Powderfinger

Look Out For My Love

River Of Pride

Campaigner

No One Seems To Know

Give Me Strength

Peace Of Mind

Human Highway

Are the versions that different than the ones we know and love? I've never heard this before.

Are the versions that different than the ones we know and love? I've never heard this before.

Powderfinger, Hold Back the Tears and Human Highway are solo acoustic (although the last two have backing vocals ...)

Sedan Delivery is very slow and plodding, kind of unlistenable. Peace of Mind is a rock band version, possibly the Horse, at least it sounds like Ralph on drums. Very ragged.

Will to Love, Like a Hurricane and Look Out for My Love are either the album versions, or different mixes of the same take. Thanks Anodyne! :thumbup

For my .02, Chrome Dreams might be my favorite NY LP. I love the whole thing, and Sedan Delivery is awesome! It takes some repeated listens to get into, but it is. Powderfinger is downright scary as well.

I can't wait for Ordinary People's ressurection. It has always been one of my favorites. Do yourself a favor and find a bootleg of Chrome Dreams 1 and OP, it will be well worth any effort towards finding them.

New Neil Young Album: "Chrome Dreams II" Set for Release October 16th

BURBANK, CA -- 08/23/07 -- The new album by Neil Young, "Chrome Dreams II," will be released by Reprise Records on October 16th. Speaking from a vacation retreat with his family, Young says it's "an album with a form based on some of my original recordings, with a large variety of songs, rather than one specific type of song." It comes at a creative peak for the artist, following the "Greendale," "Prairie Wind," and "Living With War" albums, and a summer 2006 tour by Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young that concert audiences are still talking about. In many ways, "Chrome Dreams II" is the ultimate example of what Young does best: most of the songs were written recently and came quickly, and the "live" recording sessions in northern California were over before they were announced. The album includes all kinds of music, and taken together, offers a complete picture of where Neil Young is today.

"Where 'Living With War' and 'Everybody's Rockin'' were albums focused on one subject or style," Young says, "'Chrome Dreams II' is more like 'After The Goldrush' or 'Freedom,' with different types of songs working together to form a feeling. Now that radio formats are not as influential as they once were, it's easier to release an album that crosses all formats with a message that runs through the whole thing, regardless of the type of song or sound."

On the sessions for the album, Neil Young was joined by Crazy Horse drummer Ralph Molina, pedal steel guitarist and dobro player Ben Keith ("Harvest," "Comes A Time," "Harvest Moon") and bassist Rick Rosas ("Freedom," "Living With War," "This Note's For You"). Most of the recording was done at Feelgood's Garage studio near Redwood City, California, with two vintage gas pumps out front and vintage studio gear inside.

On the music itself, Young says, "Some early listeners have said that this album is positive and spiritual. I like to think it focuses on the human condition. Like many of my recordings, this one draws on earlier material here and there. I used to do that a lot back in the day. Some songs, like 'Ordinary People,' need to wait for the right time. I think now is the right time for that song and it lives well with the new songs I have written in the past few months. I had a blast making this music."

The new album's title refers to an earlier planned release that never came out. In fall of 1976, the album "Chrome Dreams" was announced for a November release. However, that date came and went and no album ever appeared.

I think this is a bit weird - re-furbishing old stuff and releasing it. I don't have the book in front of me, but wasn't Chrome Dreams a Joel Bernstein creation? Or was it just the drawing?