Radiohead- In Rainbows

Audience recordings from every show so far - not great necessarily, but it's something for those interested:

http://www.radiohead-notforprofit.com/

thanks for posting this. :) i'm rather psyched to listen to the DC show to actually spark my memory since i was rather focused on the water rushing through my shoes and pounding down around me during the whos. talk about downpours. rivers of water flowing everywhere during the show. it was more insane than wilco's chastain park show in atlanta in the rain.

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for posting this. :) i'm rather psyched to listen to the DC show to actually spark my memory since i was rather focused on the water rushing through my shoes and pounding down around me during the whos. talk about downpours. rivers of water flowing everywhere during the show. it was more insane than wilco's chastain park show in atlanta in the rain.

I thought that was going to happen to us at the Charlotte show but we got lucky with just a little rain. Had some really awesome lightning though.

I thought that was going to happen to us at the Charlotte show but we got lucky with just a little rain. Had some really awesome lightning though.

the nissan (DC) show was quite the disaster. apparently roads were closed and people were denied entry into the parking lots. it was a far bigger mess than i had even realized (i made it through the road a mere 10 minutes prior to it being shut down). the band is now encouraging folks that went to the Nissan Pavilion show to email the venue. I still don't get why they booked a show at a venue that far out in the middle of nowhere. But then again, they didn't expect 7" of rain to fall in one night either. I'm so glad your show didn't get washed out! I'm jealous!

the nissan (DC) show was quite the disaster. apparently roads were closed and people were denied entry into the parking lots. it was a far bigger mess than i had even realized (i made it through the road a mere 10 minutes prior to it being shut down). the band is now encouraging folks that went to the Nissan Pavilion show to email the venue. I still don't get why they booked a show at a venue that far out in the middle of nowhere. But then again, they didn't expect 7" of rain to fall in one night either. I'm so glad your show didn't get washed out! I'm jealous!

Ugh, that sounds horrible! Sorry you had such a bad experience. That venue sounds like the Atlanta amphitheater. I saw RH there in 2003 and it was out in the middle of nowhere with awful traffic. We basically missed the entire opening act because of it. Gotta love the weather in the south!

Ugh, that sounds horrible! Sorry you had such a bad experience. That venue sounds like the Atlanta amphitheater. I saw RH there in 2003 and it was out in the middle of nowhere with awful traffic. We basically missed the entire opening act because of it. Gotta love the weather in the south!

supergrass was a good opener, and radiohead sounded great that night.

light rain. i loved it.

Radiohead Fans Up In Arms Over Virginia Concert

Radiohead

May 15, 2008, 12:05 PM ET

Ray Waddell, Nashville

Radiohead's rain-drenched May 11 sellout at Nissan Pavilion in Bristow, Va., has resulted in an Internet-driven firestorm, with message boards and the blogosphere lighting up amid fan frustration.

The D.C. market was faced with monsoon-like conditions around the show, with an estimated four inches of rain and flooding forcing road closures and maddening traffic conditions. Apparently a significant number of fans -- hundreds or thousands, depending on who is estimating -- were extremely late or unable to get into the show for a variety of reasons.

As such, many fans have taken to the Internet to vent their dissatisfaction, with neither the venue, the promoter nor the band being spared. One area blogger offers this headline: "Radiohead @ Nissan: You Both Suck."

Radiohead's Web site offers the following comment: "Due to Sunday night's torrential rain storm and consequential multiple road closures, many fans were unable to reach the Nissan Pavilion. While acknowledging a lack of control over the ensuing flooding and detours, the members of Radiohead are nevertheless disappointed regarding this turn of events. For further inquiries, ticket holders who didn't get in are urged to contact: customerservice@nissanpavilion.com."

Nissan Pavilion owner/operator Live Nation has offered fans that were turned away tickets to an Aug. 12 show at the Susquehanna Bank Center in Camden, N.J. (near Philadelphia), or tickets to a show of their choice at Nissan Pavilion (subject to availability).

But that may not be enough to pacify some fans. One online petition with more than 350 signers calls for another Radiohead show in the market, with such comments as, "I would ABSOLUTELY want to attend another DC/Baltimore show -- as long as its not at Nissan!! The offer that Nissan provided me of free lawn tickets to the Camden, N.J., show is insulting! For one, I had pavilion seats. Two - its Camden, NJ!!"

Adding fuel to the fire is Radiohead's self-stated intention of making its summer tour as environmentally friendly as possible. According to one fan post, "One-third of the concert-goers that night were driving around in circles, burning fossil fuels all the while. This is your save the Earth tour ... and yet you play in the middle of nowhere with no public transportation leading there. You owe us!"

And from another, "If you gave even one tiny llama turd about environmental impact, you would never have scheduled a show at a venue 40 miles away from downtown D.C., nowhere near public transportation of any kind."

Spokespersons for Nissan Pavilion and Live Nation had no comment at deadline.

Thanks for posting that Analogman! I hadn't read that article, but have read others and emailed Nissan with my string of complaints as it was torture and bad judgement on a lot of people's parts for that show. I am not sure how true that rumor about an offer of tickets to the NJ show or another show at Nissan is though. I received no response from my email and have found no source anywhere for a contact to make good on the NJ show, etc. Which is a bit of a bogus peace offering being that the show is in NJ in the middle of the week (and right after V-fest featuring Wilco!).

It's been interesting to read the blogosphere here in DC about it all. I count myself as one of the lucky ones because although I missed the first 2 songs, I made it through the flooded road a mere minutes before it was closed. A colleague of mine was held in the parking lot until 1am, raindrenched and freezing for 2 hours. I was at least home by that time. It could have been far worse for me based on some of the tales I've heard.

I kinda think the band really should book another show in DC (and not at Nissan). This is the third bad call/experience of a show for them in DC in the past 6 years or so, although I think there's was a 4th instance at RFK that happened before I moved here.

They should try to do another show in DC... that really stinks for those people that got screwed. With all that being said... the Charlotte show was amazing. God, what a great band... Would love to figure out a way to see them again on this tour because the In Rainbows songs really thrive in a live setting.

The more I listen to this album the more I absolutely love it. Seriously cannot get it out of my head. I think the drums on Reckoner are my favorite part. Or maybe Thom's voice on Nude.

That sucks (speaking of D.C.), I don't know what else the venue could do though then refund the tickets. I'm suspired their even offering tickets for the camden show.

had pit tickets so i ended up getting there around 4, when the heavy rain started. stood in a downpour for 2 hours before running the quarter mile to the pit...absolutely soaked. started to dry off some, though still freezing cold. when the show was over at 11, back into the downpour. we lost the car, so then spent a good 45 minutes wandering around in ankle-deep mud and newly-formed streams until we found it. way home was flooded, so i didn't make it back to Richmond until about 3 AM. this was my first RH show and despite all, it was awesome. i'm dying to get a lossless copy of the show, but don't have access to dime. can someone please upload it to The Trader's Den or perhaps do an old-fashioned B&P for me?

-justin

I've heard from people in the past who didn't really like Nissan, but they didn't say why. I can tell you what I didn't like about it, the parking situation sucked wet grass! When people were leaving, there was no supervision, cars were going every which way. We sat in the very last parking lot for over an hour. But the show itself rocked! Yes, we were drenched and tired (after walking back all the way to lot F, but enjoyed the show.)

btw-Isadorah (Hi!) the show at RFK was the Tibetan Freedom show in 1998. There was a major lightning storm and a girl was struck by lightning while talking on the phone. I'm not sure if it was during Radiohead's performance, but I believe they were scheduled to perform that day. But yeah, they've had shitty luck every time they've visited DC.

Dear Radiohead:

Why did you put stickers and instructions for putting the stickers on a jewel case in the nifty CD package? Why not just put the cd out in a jewel case. Also, I bought your groovy new cd at Wal Mart for 11 dollars.

Dear Radiohead:

Why did you put stickers and instructions for putting the stickers on a jewel case in the nifty CD package? Why not just put the cd out in a jewel case. Also, I bought your groovy new cd at Wal Mart for 11 dollars.

I bought too.Soooo cool.And nifty.And groovy (I like this word).

I have a lot of stickers now.If somebody need it...just tell me ,and I give you the instructions too.Free.

I've heard from people in the past who didn't really like Nissan, but they didn't say why.

Let me count the ways. Poor choice of location, traffic issues on the highway just getting there, bad access roads into/out of the parking lot, lack of any sort of order to the parking lot, and the venue itself is entirely devoid of ambiance (if you are "lucky" enough to actually make it inside). Terrible, terrible venue.

That really sucks reading about what happened at that Radiohead show. To some extent the situation was out of their control with the weather. I don't live in the area anymore and haven't been there in a while, but I'm guessing they still haven't upgraded the access roads to the venue (which have been a problem since day one). It doesn't take a deluge to cause problems there.

Its funny, because I'm sure the original intent behind putting that venue out there was to avoid some of the traffic congestion problems that occur at Merriweather or Wolf Trap, but I think Nissan is 10 times worse.

Dear Radiohead:

uh-oh. i think Best Buy put IR on sale for $9.99 this week.

to answer my own question:

EIIRP is now back to about the same length as the studio version.

• 1 month later...

for those that might be interested, LiveNation is trying to make good on the botched Radiohead show. I got an email today:

Hello Melissa,

My apologies for the late response, we were first accommodating all of the ticket holders that did not make it into the pavilion at all on the night of the Radiohead concert.

Unfortunately, we are unable to accommodate your request for compensation for your Radiohead tickets from the show on May 11 at Nissan Pavilion due to the fact that you entered the pavilion and saw some or all of the show. Instead we would like to offer you to come as our guest to another Nissan Pavilion show subject to availability. We apologize for any inconvenience you experienced and hope that this free ticket offer helps to make up for it. Please go to www.LiveNation.com/nissanpavilion for a complete list of shows. We can also provide VIP Club access and Premier Parking to ensure a hassle free night full of good times.

If you would like to take advantage of this offer, please respond with your first 3 choices for shows. We will also need to get your Radiohead tickets back ? a confirmation of your order will not suffice. Your replacement tickets will be held at will call so be sure to provide the appropriate pick-up name as well.

If your Radiohead tickets were held at will call and you did not pick them up, let us know and we can find them for you and make the

exchange on your behalf.

If you could take a second to reply and let us know how many tickets you?ll be sending back, we?d appreciate it.

The address to send your tickets to is:

7800 Cellar Door Drive

Bristow, VA 20136

ATTN: Radiohead Exchange Offer

Thank you again for your patronage of Live Nation and we sincerely hope this helps to make up for the experience you had on May 11.

Granted the list of shows to choose from is less than stellar, but I could be swayed to go see Poison for free. If you didn't get into the show, they indeed will honor your ticket at the NJ show.

• 2 months later...

Got this email today:

To coincide with asking radio stations to think about playing Reckoner we are breaking up the tune into pieces for you to remix. After the insane response we got from the Nude remix stems and the site that was dedicated to your remixes...

Unique visitors: 6,193,776, Page Views: 29,090,134, Hits: 58,340,512, Bandwidth: 10.666 Terabytes, Number of mixes: 2,252, Number of votes: 461,090, Number of track listens: 1,745,304

...we thought it only fair to do the same with a tune that at least is in 4/4. You can get the stems (the different instruments/elements) from here

Sample, cut, take the sounds, whatever. Play it in a club. Or your room. Then if you want you can upload your finished mixes to http://www.radioheadremix.com and be judged by everyone else. You can create a widget allowing votes from your own site, Facebook or MySpace to be sent through too. To start things off we asked James Holden and Diplo to do their versions.

Oh, and by the way, if you weren’t lucky enough to get your hands on one of our recycled plastic bottle shirts at a show this summer, you’ll be glad to hear we’ve made some more and they are available at the w.a.s.t.e. shop here

All at w.a.s.t.e x