Radiohead- In Rainbows

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's forgettable crap. I don't know anyone who still listens to it. It will be remembered for it's marketing scheme, not for it's subpar, retread music.

You must've missed the posts that came after the initial question.

I still love it, but it is a very Bends-like album to me in that it is the same listening experience as the first listen. The intervening albums seemed to reveal themselves slowly over time, providing a different, richer experience with each successive listen.

I'd be interested to hear what half of Kid A he thinks (or you think) could fit within OKC.

he didn't specify.

i know MPS and HTDC were both from around OKC time.

Optimistic is not that far from it.

more synth presence and drum machine-esque sounds were already evident, especially on the Airbag EP and i think some of those songs were from OKC - if i remember correctly Pearly, A Reminder, Polyethelene parts 1&2 were all in contention for OKC. i dont' remember for the other 3.

i haven't listened to the Airbag EP in a while.

i see its now easily found again in stores, so if you don't have it, i suggest you get it.

I still listen to it and I still think it's awesome. IMO in the top 3 Radiohead albums, great great stuff.

:thumbup

in rainbows is definitely one of their better albums, i'm 85% i like it more than ok computer. kid a is still > all other radiohead though

A lot of people seem to think Kid A is their best album. Apologies in advance for hijacking this thread, but were most people who feel this way fans of the band before that album? I mean, did you like/love/listen to The Bends and OKComputer, and then think Kid A blew those albums away when it came out? Or did you start with Kid A and love it for what it is, and work your way back to albums that you didnt like as much?

I realize that I am speaking in major generalities here but I always half figured that the Kid A crowd didnt fall in love with this band for the awesomeness of Sulk or Just. And if The Bends made the hair on your arm stand up, that Kid A didnt quite get the job done.

I say this as the guy who fell in love with Wilco when YHF came out and then worked my way back.

A lot of people seem to think Kid A is their best album. Apologies in advance for hijacking this thread, but were most people who feel this way fans of the band before that album? I mean, did you like/love/listen to The Bends and OKComputer, and then think Kid A blew those albums away when it came out? Or did you start with Kid A and love it for what it is, and work your way back to albums that you didnt like as much?

I realize that I am speaking in major generalities here but I always half figured that the Kid A crowd didnt fall in love with this band for the awesomeness of Sulk or Just. And if The Bends made the hair on your arm stand up, that Kid A didnt quite get the job done.

I say this as the guy who fell in love with Wilco when YHF came out and then worked my way back.

My love for Radiohead started with The Bends and I would rank Radiohead's output thusly:

1. OKC/Kid A (tie)

2. Hailto the Theif

3. The Bends

4. In Rainbows

5. Amnesiac

6. Pablo Honey

As I posted earlier, I feel The bends and In Rainbows are awesome, but are less involving than OKC, Kid A and HttT (criminally under-rated, IMO).

Interestingly, I am with you on Wilco. I could not get into them pre-YHF and look at Inrainbows ad SBS similarly in that they both, while great, have stripped away a lot of what I love about each band.

In Rainbows is too new to rate with the rest of their work but i think it will end up top tier

OKC

Kid A

The Bends

HTTT

Amnesiac

pablo honey

even the band has admitted HTTT was bloated and not their A game.

granted, i still love it, but you can tell it's not focused, even sonically.

they recorded most of it live in a week or two in LA i believe.

i don't dislike any of the songs even - it's just way too long.

that's why they kept IR the length it is.

one of those expensive British import music mags had an IR article where they talked about the IR Disc 2 and why they didn't make the album. i agreed with their reasoning.

i figured it would have been plastered on the net so i didn't pay the high magazine price thinking i'd be able to revisit later.

surely it's somewhere.

I bought Pablo Honey when it was released and thought it was a solid effort. Ok but not great.

The Bends came across as a classic right from the beginning.

OKC topped the Bends for me heading in a direction I never imagined.

Kid A dropped and lost me initially. I came back to it months after it's release and found it to be the most interesting album in their catalog. I am of the minority that enjoys Amnesiac over everything else they've released.

I feel people love the album most they start with, Or they are at least sentimental attached to it more.

I got into them when the Bends Came out.

My ranking then is as follows

Bends

Ok

Pablo

Kid A

Hail

Rainbows

Amnesiac

it's stupid to think it's stupid.

Agreed, there are some grand moments on it.

I definitely still listen to In Rainbows, and often. It's exactly the album I hoped they would make.

My choices:

1. OK Computer

2. In Rainbows

3. Kid A

4. The Bends

5. Amnesiac

6. Pablo Honey

7. Hail to the Thief

I thought Hail to the Thief, despite some ecstatic moments, wore off really quickly and seemed unfocused and sprawling and not in a good way. A lot of the songs just fell short of their possibility. OK Computer definitely wins for its cohesion and layering. The Bends and Kid A I like with about equal measure but for entirely different reasons. Amnesiac is spotty, same with Pablo Honey, but I listen to both of them more frequently than the majority of Hail to the Thief.

For the record I started with Pablo Honey.

my ranking:

1. In Rainbows

2. Amnesiac

3. Kid A

4. Hail To The Thief

5. OK Computer

6. The Bends

7. I don't even own Pablo Honey b/c it's stupid.

-justin

Blow Out off Pablo Honey could have one of Radiohead's best guitar freak outs! Very much worth picking up a copy!