Radiohead- In Rainbows

I got around to listening to the album a few weeks ago. IMHO the first two tracks are the weakest (15 Steps and Bodysnatchers), and are still both very decent songs. The rest of the tracks are just amazing. The only thing that takes In Rainbows down a notch or two from masterpiece status, for me, is the overall feel - or maybe just the sequencing; it doesn't quite feel 'whole'. Great tunes but they add up to ____? It could very well be that's what they were going for...rather than satisfied, the listener comes away feeling mildly disturbed. :)

Still I love this record...it's been in heavy rotation on my zune.

But 15 Step and Bodysnatchers get it off to such a rockin' start! 15 Step is funky, slinky song and Bodysnatchers sees Thom at his manic best. I think it's the perfect 1-2 opening punch.

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone ever tried this?

Radiohead - 01 and 10 playlist:

1. Airbag (OK Computer)

2. 15 Step (In Rainbows)

3. Paranoid Android (OK Computer)

4. Bodysnatchers (In Rainbows)

5. Subterranean Homesick Alien (OK Computer)

6. Nude (In Rainbows)

7. Exit Music (For A Film) (OK Computer)

8. Weird Fishes/Arpeggi (In Rainbows)

9. Let Down (OK Computer)

10. All I Need (In Rainbows)

11. Karma Police (OK Computer)

12. Fitter Happier (OK Computer)

13. Faust Arp (In Rainbows)

14. Electioneering (OK Computer)

15. Reckoner (In Rainbows)

16. Climbing Up The Walls (OK Computer)

17. House Of Cards (In Rainbows)

18. No Surprises (OK Computer)

19. Jigsaw Falling Into Place (In Rainbows)

20. Lucky (OK Computer)

21. Videotape (In Rainbows)

22. The Tourist (OK Computer)

I'm through Electioneering and it really works. I don't really know how. here

i'm excited about the US tour.

i'm a shoo-in for Dallas and may try to make Houston as well.

hopefully the tickets don't go on sale in the middle of the night like last time.

i've got a weird feeling like it may be my last chance to see Radiohead. like they may start liking the streaming video more and play rare shows in England or in their own studio.

i also wonder if they'll vary sets much to merit the extra trouble of a second show i'm assuming will be back to back dates. the older songs they played on the webcast were the same bunch they have been playing, granted i haven't seen them in a while so i enjoyed it, but they have such a vast catalog that i'll hope they'll spread it out. The Bends was a surprise - i don't think they've played that much recently - and you could tell Thom was wanking on the fast speaking parts.

Weird Fishes has grown on me to the point where it might be my favorite Radiohead song of all.

Also, Thom and Ed took over Annie Nightengale's show on BBC Radio 1 on Jan 17... you can hear the entire show from a link on this page

thanks for the link. and i am in agreement on weird fishes.

• 3 months later...
Yorke: Radiohead's 'Rainbows' Strategy Was A 'One-Off'

Radiohead

April 29, 2008, 7:00 PM ET

Mimi Turner, The Hollywood Reporter

It was a pivotal moment for the music industry which many thought sounded the death knell for recorded music sales, but Radiohead won't be repeating their decision to let fans choose what to pay for their downloads, frontman Thom Yorke told the Hollywood Reporter.

"I think it was a one-off response to a particular situation," Yorke said of the band's decision last October to let viewers pay what they wanted for digital downloads of their album "In Rainbows."

"Yes. It was a one-off in terms of a story. It was one of those things where we were in the position of everyone asking us what we were going to do. I don't think it would have the same significance now anyway, if we chose to give something away again. It was a moment in time."

Radiohead's decision to allow fans to pay into the online equivalent of an honesty box for the album came shortly after they walked away from troubled record label EMI, sparking acres of comment about the future direction of the music industry and the dwindling revenue pot from CD sales.

The band has remained quiet about whether the experiment was a success, with many fans thought to have downloaded the album without paying anything at all. "In Rainbows" was later released conventionally as a CD.

But the groundbreaking move towards potentially free music has been adopted by a number of artists including Prince and Nine Inch Nails. Most recently Coldplay said Monday (April 28) that they would give away their new single "Violet Hill" free of charge, resulting in the site crashing due to demand.

Speaking as Radiohead were promoting their pro-social anti sex and labor trafficking initiative with MTV, Yorke said that successful bands had new ways to communicate directly with fans.

"We are about that direct relationship (now) because we are big enough to establish that."

Under the music broadcaster's EXIT (end exploitation and trafficking) campaign, MTV and Radiohead have jointly produced a video for "In Rainbows" track "All I Need" which will premiere on all MTV's channels and sites globally on May 1.

Yorke said the band had linked with MTV to highlight such issues as child slavery, enforced servitude and sex trafficking because it was "about exploiting a situation while you have the chance."

"All power to MTV for taking this on because its obviously going to be difficult for them in terms of the advertisers," he said. "If you talk about slave labour, then the issue of cheap goods from the East is all about that.

With the [All I Need] video their lawyers had to beg to make sure there wasn't a single white [sneaker] with a logo on it because the implication would be a little too close. But the implication is still there," he concluded.

"If [MTV] are able to break the taboo of enslavement and put it onto the agenda then its a good thing. If they get people to think in terms of the profits we make in the West because of cheap labor, then that's a good thing."

MTV vice chairman Bill Roedy said the initiative would raise awareness.

"Trafficking is a crime which violates the basic rights of its victims ... we endeavor to support and advocate these rights -- and empower our audience -- through initiatives like MTV EXIT and other MTV projects."

Do the folks who loved this album when it first came out still think it holds up? I am curious...

I think I am the reverse. I didn't like it all that much when it came out, but I spun it this morning for the first time since it was released when I spun it quite a bit and I liked it much more than I remember.

I am a fan who lost my way after OK Computer. Nothing will top The Bends and OK Computer for me, but i can dig on In Rainbows.

I am a fan who lost my way after OK Computer. Nothing will top The Bends and OK Computer for me, but i can dig on In Rainbows.

you don't like Kid A?

even Jonny didn't realize the big reaction to it, as at least half or if not more could fit within OK Computer.

i'm glad to say i will get to see them in Houston.

another fan was cool enough to sell me two covered reserved tics at sticker price.

now even lawn seats are at least $100 most of the time.

Do the folks who loved this album when it first came out still think it holds up? I am curious...

I think I am the reverse. I didn't like it all that much when it came out, but I spun it this morning for the first time since it was released when I spun it quite a bit and I liked it much more than I remember.

Me too. I had to put it away for a couple weeks after a few listens, and then get it back out. It has definitely been a grower for me. The EP songs are actually kinda helpful to round it all out. Last Flowers is great song, even though it has the same "sound" as Karma Police. And there are a couple of remixes of Videotape that I like as well. So, yeah, it's a grower.

i haven't listened to it in a while and it came up on the ipod last night (the full double album with the bonus disc) and i find it be a lot better now than when it first came out. last night's listen gave me a much deeper appreciation for it. i still hold to my stance that you need both discs for the album to actually sound complete. it indeed is a good album and definitely deserved all of its rave reviews and list topping.

my thought anyway.

I still love it. It's well done yet less bombastic than some of their older stuff. And its just the right length too...around 40 minutes is perfect for an album.

Yeah, I still think it's a terrific record.

i still hold to my stance that you need both discs for the album to actually sound complete. it indeed is a good album and definitely deserved all of its rave reviews and list topping.

my thought anyway.

And I agree with this entirely.

you don't like Kid A?

even Jonny didn't realize the big reaction to it, as at least half or if not more could fit within OK Computer.

I wouldn't say I have a deep rooted visceral hatred of Kid A. I just don't really like it all that much. If I am in the mood for Radiohead, I put on The Bends or OKC. Now, I think I can say InRainbows too.

I'd be interested to hear what half of Kid A he thinks (or you think) could fit within OKC.

I'm still at the point with In Rainbows that I need to re-start it as soon as it ends, much like it was for me back in '02 with Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. It's exquisite.

you don't like Kid A?

if you combined Kid A & Amnesiac i could come up with a very solid 10-11 track album that would hold up fairly well w/ the rest of their catalog, but seperately wasn't too big on either record.

if you combined Kid A & Amnesiac i could come up with a very solid 10-11 track album that would hold up fairly well w/ the rest of their catalog, but seperately wasn't too big on either record.

:yes

I still love In Rainbows as much as I did when it was released. :music