Radiohead- In Rainbows

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i tuned out after reading this:

"Kid A, Amnesiac, and Hail to the Thief certainly had memorable moments and instances of greatness (well, alright, Amnesiac didn't...)"

guess you've never heard Pyramid Song...

'Twas a bit tongue in cheek. I give Amnesiac a hard time, because it is my least favorite Radiohead effort, and I'm not one to kneel at the altar of Yorke and praise every thing he's done. "Pyramid Song" and "Knives Out" are the best of that disc, I'd say (although I prefer the Flaming Lips cover of "Knives Out" to the original)

'Twas a bit tongue in cheek. I give Amnesiac a hard time, because it is my least favorite Radiohead effort, and I'm not one to kneel at the altar of Yorke and praise every thing he's done. "Pyramid Song" and "Knives Out" are the best of that disc, I'd say (although I prefer the Flaming Lips cover of "Knives Out" to the original)

Blashamy!

LIVING IN A GLASSS HOUSE?

Like Spinning Plates?

YOU AND WHOSE ARMY?

Maybe you should try again

Life in a Glass House is top 10 Radiohead songs. I said it.

I Might Be Wrong is rockin' too.

They already perfected Morning Bell on Kid A, no reason for it here.

Radiohead Returning To The Road In 2008

Radiohead

October 18, 2007, 11:40 AM ET

Lars Brandle, London

Radiohead will embark on a rare international tour starting next spring, Billboard.com can reveal. Although details are still sketchy, expect the British alternative rock band to play multiple markets, in sizeable venues.

"We plan to tour next year, starting in May through to probably the end of the year. With lots of holidays in that period," says Bryce Edge of Courtyard Management, the firm that manages the band.

"At the moment we are talking with our agents in North America and for the rest of the world, trying to get a schedule which works for the band and works financially," he adds.

An extended run will be a treat for dedicated fans who missed Radiohead's summer 2006 dates, which landed in a handful of European and north American markets.

"They toured last summer almost for creative reasons, definitely not for financial reasons. And I think they quite enjoyed it," explains Edge. "The next set of touring will be slightly larger-scale venues."

Frontman Thom Yorke is anything but a fan of international treks and, in the past, the singer has raised concerns over the effects of touring on climate change.

"He likes to do shows, but the whole business of schlepping around the world is not top of his list of favorite things to do," adds Edge. "He really enjoys playing to the fans -- it's just the process of how to do that which is the pain in the neck (for Yorke). They're not road dogs. They never have been."

Radiohead tore up the industry manual when they allowed fans to name their price to download its latest album, "In Rainbows," released Oct. 10. To date, representatives for the band have remained tight-lipped on the sales performance of the studio set. Edge downplayed as "exaggerated" reports that "In Rainbows" had shifted more than 1.2 million copies, but admitted the average price paid was "probably pretty close" to

So I got In Rainbows and OK Computer. So far I am impressed and can't believe I have gone this long without listening to Radiohead. :omg some of the layering is absolutely amazing and gorgeous.

that's awesome that you discovered them...i envy your first listening experiences, although Radiohead is a band that rewards repeated listens.

you should definitely get the Bends next, a more conventional, guitar-based album, but great nonetheless. then, if you are really into them, go on to the "weird" or challenging ones like Kid A and Amnesiac.

So I got In Rainbows and OK Computer. So far I am impressed and can't believe I have gone this long without listening to Radiohead. :omg some of the layering is absolutely amazing and gorgeous.

If layers are what you enjoy, then you will adore Kid A

The B Sides from Ok Computer on "Airbag/How Am I Driving EP" are pretty damn good too

^^ The first album of theirs I listened to was Kid A, and it is, by far, my favorite album of all-time. OKC, Amnesiac, The Bends, and HTTT are all one tick below Kid A on my radar.

Back on topic, I'm already saving up to catch every show on this tour. I could see this being their last tour on a large scale (ie, outside of England/Europe). I just hope they play bigger venues than their last go-round, but not in arenas/excessively large outdoor venues. But if Red Rocks is on the itinerary, I'm totally hitting that up.

^^ The first album of theirs I listened to was Kid A, and it is, by far, my favorite album of all-time. OKC, Amnesiac, The Bends, and HTTT are all one tick below Kid A on my radar.

Back on topic, I'm already saving up to catch every show on this tour. I could see this being their last tour on a large scale (ie, outside of England/Europe). I just hope they play bigger venues than their last go-round, but not in arenas/excessively large outdoor venues. But if Red Rocks is on the itinerary, I'm totally hitting that up.

usually the first album that gets you into a group is the one that remains your favorite.

(note: i said usually because i know someone or multiple someone will give examples of how this was not true for them.........but on an overall average i would think this to be true)

airbag ep is the best thing they ever released. I like it more than ok computer

did you buy it upon original release or this recent rerelease (it's been out of print for awhile)?

i really wish they would have included How I Made My Millions on there.

they really needed an Amnesiac EP for all those b-sides as well.

i lucked out and got a free one from Capitol in the mail - they sent a lot of goodies around Amnesiac time - but it is still missing several of the b-sides.

wouldn't smaller clubs be a disaster?

lines out the wazoo..........unless they did multiple nights..........but thom wouldn't go for that. i think it wouldn't really cut down as radiohead fans are the kind that would probably still buy tics for each night.

i've seen them twice 2001 and 2004.

Larger venues kinda make the whole experience more impersonalized. I kinda wished I'd see them again at the Auditorium Theatre or other beautiful restored theaters that they played last tour.

• 3 weeks later...

From the Tribune today...

Radiohead fans freely enjoy group's new album

By Eric Benderoff

Tribune staff reporter

November 5, 2007

Given the choice of whether to pay for music or grab it for free, people are overwhelmingly opting for the free model, according to a study to be released Monday.

For 62 percent of the people who have downloaded the British band Radiohead's "In Rainbows," the cost to purchase the critically acclaimed music is nil, according to Internet tracking firm ComScore Inc.

The other 38 percent of buyers paid an average of $6 for the music, well below the typical $12 to $15 a purchaser pays for a CD at a retail store.

Radiohead has a loyal following, and it's the first major act to offer its music for whatever price the consumer is willing to pay.

"The music industry is intrigued by this and will look at the outcome very carefully," said Jim Donio, the president of the National Association of Recording Merchandisers.

"It's such an early stage, and Radiohead is the first band of this caliber to do this," he said. "It's too early to draw strict conclusions, but it's clearly not a surprise there are a lot of people out there who have decided not to pay."

ComScore will not disclose the exact number of downloads it has recorded, but Chairman Gian Fulgoni said of the 1.2 million visitors tohttp://www.inrainbows.com during the "first 29 days of October," a "significant number" have downloaded the album.

He noted that an e-commerce Web site typically converts about 5 percent of its traffic into sales in a given month. The conversion rate for the Radiohead album will be "substantially higher," he said. "You can see this getting up into the millions of dollars."

So even if the majority of downloaders don't plan on paying for the album, the payoff for the band -- whose deal with music label EMI Group has expired -- could be substantial.

If nearly 40 percent of users are paying $6 for the download, that could be a good payday for the band, particularly since it does not have to share the proceeds with a record label, Fulgoni said.

"If you have the fan base, this could be a very interesting model," he said.

Radiohead's last release for EMI, 2003's "Hail to the Thief," sold 1 million copies in the U.S., according to an Associated Press report.

"I think it's a business-savvy decision on Radiohead's part to test the market and to test their fan base," said Brian Tragash of Chicago's Music Direct, a business that provides vinyl recordings for audiophiles. "They are also selling a deluxe LP to fans who are willing to pay a premium. With their fan base, I think Radiohead will do OK."

That LP package, which includes a special vinyl pressing and several songs not included in the digital download, is currently priced at $83.

A representative for Radiohead could not be reached.

The digital download of "In Rainbows" has been available since Oct. 10.

On the album's Web site, when a purchaser goes to pay for the music and is uncertain about the cost, a simple bulletin says: "It's up to you."

New Radiohead Album Due Dec. 31 On CD

Radiohead

November 08, 2007, 9:45 AM ET

Tom Ferguson, London

Radiohead has set a Dec. 31 international release date for the physical version of its new album, "In Rainbows."

The album will be released on CD and vinyl, followed by the single, "Jigsaw Falling Into Place" on Jan. 14. Formats for the single will be announced shortly.

Both album and single will be released outside the United States on XL Recordings. A spokesperson for the band said that details for the U.S. physical release are not yet finalized, although ATO/Side One Recordings is by far the front-runner to sign Radiohead there.

A statement issued today (Nov. 7) on the band's behalf poured cold water on reports claiming the "set your own price" approach for the Oct. 10 digital release of "In Rainbows" had resulted in fans only paying an average of