Radiohead- In Rainbows

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And BTW, if I had to pick the weakest track it'd be Faust Arp. Certainly not House of Cards.

Yeah, "House of Cards" is the one I can't stop listening to. It's terrific.

Exactly. And it's a lot cooler when you realize Ed did it all on guitar.

Where did you get Bonnaroo from?

its out there; i belive dime a dozen has it. Its a multpile camera shoot from the audeince. I herd an offical release was planned for after the release of the new album. We can only hope!

Radiohead rankings:

01. OK Computer

02. The Bends

03. In Rainbows

04. Kid A

05. Hail to The Thief

06. Amnesiac

07. Pablo Honey

Top 5 songs:

01. All I Need (Great single type song. Kind of anthemic...in a weird shoegazing alienated brit ballad kind of way.)

02. Videotape (gets a lot of busting...but I just find something about it very moving. I like the nakedness in Thom's voice. He doesn't sing overly affected on this one, and it comes off as very sincere to me.)

03. Nude (Gorgeous ballad. I love the overdubbed vocals.)

04. House of Cards (I just really love this one.)

05. 15 Steps (This is like the polyrhythmic sound Tweedy promised us in 2005. Wilco didn't deliver, but at least Radiohead did.)

to be honest though...I don't even hear the album as songs. I hear it as a whole. The songs blend together so cohesively.

After repeated listens of In Rainbows, I can say with great conviction that my ranking of Radiohead's albums in the chronological order of their releases is as follows:

1st. Pablo Honey

2nd. The Bends

3rd. OK Computer

4th. Kid A

5th. Amnesiac

6th. Hail to the Thief

7th. In Rainbows

This album is a lot like Boxer or Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga, it may not have the instant classic songs of older albums, but it's damn cohesive, and like both albums mentioned above, doesn't have a bad track. Also: EIGHT MORE freakin new songs on the way.

But then again...

I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I AM TAAAAALKING ABOUT! :stunned

DIME

Its got alot of radiohead stuff on there not just that. I got 2 other radiohead dvds also. Also tons of other great bands. Tons of Wilco. My fav place but been hearing things about OINK and hear thats better.

How's the quality? Cause with Radiohead's way of doing things, the official Bonnaroo DVD Thom said he wanted to do will be out in 10+ years. I lost my password or my account expired to Dime. Darn.

How's the quality? Cause with Radiohead's way of doing things, the official Bonnaroo DVD Thom said he wanted to do will be out in 10+ years. I lost my password or my account expired to Dime. Darn.

Not bad. definitely watchable. The sound is good, one great source. The video is about the quality of a bootleg, but they got 3 diff cameras and the editing was done very well to change throughout the concert. The concert was an amazing show.

Go get on DIME again.

My review, first posted elsewhere:

I'll try not to make this transform into a review of OK Computer, which seems to inevitably happen when I'm discussing Radiohead. When you make one of the twenty or so best rock albums of all time, expect reviewers to bring it up on occasion.

Alright so what made OK Computer so damn good? Yes, it was experimental, bleak, and impeccably produced- all things that music geek types go wild over. But even more importantly, it was an album made by a great rock band. Kid A, Amnesiac, and Hail to the Thief certainly had memorable moments and instances of greatness (well, alright, Amnesiac didn't...) but the overall sensibility of these albums was... I don't want to use the term "cold", but there was a sense of automation at work, particularly with the rhythms often favoring digital, dark-sounding electronica drum patterns. With In Rainbows, we're hearing Radiohead the band at work once more, not Radiohead the post-modern assemblage of dystopian art.

Did I just say "digital, dark-sounding electronica drum patterns"? Yep, I think so. Well that's how things start up with "15 Steps", but this beat is more along the lines of something on an M.I.A. disc as opposed to say Aphex Twin. The guitar comes in, vaguely Afro-poppy, Thom's voice does his angelic haunting thing, and then we get some thoroughly awesome bass riffing to support the song's second half. Drums, vocals, guitar, bass (and some synth)? We have a rock band here! "Bodysnatchers" comes next, and the first five seconds are more lively than pretty much everything off Amnesiac. Jonny Greenwood brings in some banshee guitar wails. Phil Selway is playing drums again, and playing the shit out of them! This rocks.

"Nude" makes things a little more dreamy in that classic Radiohead way, with Thom's voice soaring and pained with non-intrusive strings and some simple bass octaves supporting him. "Weird Fishes/Arpeggi" returns to a rock backbeat with some hypnotic guitar culminating in a dark clatter of orchestral reverb and harried drum and bass. "All I Need" has the same low-end, minor-interval menace of "Climbing Up the Walls" with the introduction of xylophone adding to the unsettled creepiness. Cymbals slash and Thom goes for the high register, creating a classic Radiohead ending. "Faust Arp" is covering much the same mood as "Nude", and "Reckoner" goes on a little long letting mood triumph over more immediately gripping melody.

"House of Cards" maintains the melancholy, but it doesn't sound quite so Radiohead-like. I'm reminded of something that could fit onto Beck's Sea Change. A hint of a Latin beat drives things, while Thom's vocal melodies settle into the resigned, narcotic ambiance that permeated Beck's breakup disc. The strings and swells make this a thoroughly sad affair, but not a dreary one. "Jigsaw Falling Into Place" is one of my favorites here. The hummed opening melody along with the sprightly bass and spoke/sung verse build up the potential energy. More tension with the rising riff in the instrumental break and the apparition of high-pitched synth (or voice processing) wavering over the second verse. Thom's intensity escalates. Some more strings. Phil keeps the ride going. And there it is- the kind of visceral dark vamp that the band could probably extend for several minutes longer if they wished. A rock band again. "Videotape" closes things out on a somewhat solemn note. The piano and odd percussive fills aren't particularly engaging to my ears, but In Rainbows has already established itself now.

It's not another OK Computer. We're not getting another one. But we are hearing a more organic and looser-sounding Radiohead than the sometimes overwhelmingly despondent band of recent years. They aren't any happier by any means (not that anyone expected that) but the reciprocal musicality that defines great bands is more evident than it has been in a decade.

This album is making me listen to a lot of Radiohead stuff.

Same here -- I went back and listened to OK Computer for the first time in about a year, and liked it more than I remembered. This happened to me with several Wilco albums, where new releases caused me to go back and appreciate the old ones more.

Nietzsche got trim? His philosophy always said to me, "I am really, really angry because I never get any [whatever "trim" is in German]."

i tuned out after reading this:

"Kid A, Amnesiac, and Hail to the Thief certainly had memorable moments and instances of greatness (well, alright, Amnesiac didn't...)"

guess you've never heard Pyramid Song...