Hot Stove League '07-'08

You can't back a wounded and dejected marlin fan into a corner like that and expect him to chuckle. Times like these they are at their most dangerous and are liable to poke you in the eye with that... that... big pointy thing on the end of their nose.

i was thinking the same thing :lol

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't back a wounded and dejected marlin fan into a corner like that and expect him to chuckle. Times like these they are at their most dangerous and are liable to poke you in the eye with that... that... big pointy thing on the end of their nose.

Basically.

I remember this link from a discussion a while back and it is a year old, but I think it's telling. Revenue sharing continues to steadily increase in amounts per team each year and here is a rough cut of what teams spend/re-invest in their team from their cut, percentage -wise:

(I think that's supposed to read "% of Revenue....")

% or Revenue spent on Payroll

79% Washington Nationals

79% Chicago White Sox

74% New York Yankees

70% Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim

67% Toronto Blue Jays

66% Detroit Tigers

62% Minnesota Twins

60% Houston Astros

60% Boston Red Sox

59% Los Angeles Dodgers

59% St Louis Cardinals

57% San Francisco Giants

56% New York Mets

56% Atlanta Braves

55% Chicago Cubs

53% Oakland Athletics

53% Philadelphia Phillies

52% Milwaukee Brewers

51% Seattle Mariners

49% Baltimore Orioles

48% Cincinnati Reds

48% Texas Rangers

47% San Diego Padres

45% Kansas City Royals

44% Arizona Diamondbacks

43% Pittsburgh Pirates

40% Cleveland Indians

32% Tampa Bay Devil Rays

31% Colorado Rockies

15% Florida Marlins

Link:

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/...ic.php?t=238635

I remember this link from a discussion a while back and it is a year old, but I think it's telling. Revenue sharing continues to steadily increase in amounts per team each year and here is a rough cut of what teams spend/re-invest in their team from their cut, percentage -wise:

(I think that's supposed to read "% of Revenue....")

% or Revenue spent on Payroll

79% Washington Nationals

79% Chicago White Sox

74% New York Yankees

70% Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim

67% Toronto Blue Jays

66% Detroit Tigers

62% Minnesota Twins

60% Houston Astros

60% Boston Red Sox

59% Los Angeles Dodgers

59% St Louis Cardinals

57% San Francisco Giants

56% New York Mets

56% Atlanta Braves

55% Chicago Cubs

53% Oakland Athletics

53% Philadelphia Phillies

52% Milwaukee Brewers

51% Seattle Mariners

49% Baltimore Orioles

48% Cincinnati Reds

48% Texas Rangers

47% San Diego Padres

45% Kansas City Royals

44% Arizona Diamondbacks

43% Pittsburgh Pirates

40% Cleveland Indians

32% Tampa Bay Devil Rays

31% Colorado Rockies

15% Florida Marlins

Link:

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/...ic.php?t=238635

But, like I said, the Marlins pretty much the onlyt eam in the league without any real revenue avenues anywhere else. That's the problem.

But, like I said, the Marlins pretty much the onlyt eam in the league without any real revenue avenues anywhere else. That's the problem.

I don't think that justifies how the man runs his team, though. Here's a link to a piece I think does some thinking along these lines, with the key to it highlighted below:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7527010

The shame of it is that a baseball team, operated properly, could thrive in South Florida. The Miami-Ft. Lauderdale-Pompano Beach area is the seventh-largest media market in the country, and an owner willing to reinvest in the team could easily make the Marlins a top destination for free-agent talent. Certainly, it will take a new ballpark and a winning team for that to happen, but Loria is apparently unwilling to do business in a sensible manner unless he's lavished in corporate welfare.

I don't think that justifies how the man runs his team, though. Here's a link to a piece I think does some thinking along these lines, with the key to it highlighted below:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7527010

The shame of it is that a baseball team, operated properly, could thrive in South Florida. The Miami-Ft. Lauderdale-Pompano Beach area is the seventh-largest media market in the country, and an owner willing to reinvest in the team could easily make the Marlins a top destination for free-agent talent. Certainly, it will take a new ballpark and a winning team for that to happen, but Loria is apparently unwilling to do business in a sensible manner unless he's lavished in corporate welfare.

That doesn't really make any sort of point contrary to mine. I wish we had a new owner that was able to put more of his money into the stadium and team, but since we don't (and since MLB can't force him to sell, and he has no intentions of doing so) I'm not going to slag on the team for doing the best they can. He is the owner. It is the reality of the situation. The situation would be much better if we had a stadium that would represent a significant income for the team to take advantage of the large market. Because, as is, even if we had 35,000 coming to each game, we wouldn't be able to spend significantly more money, because we still wouldn't see money from concessions or parking, which represent a significant portion of a team's income.

Does it suck? Sure. BUt it's reality. As long as he's owner, I'm not going to rag on him for working within the limitations of the system.

I can't wait to watch Juan Pierre get paid 9 million a year to OPS .690 as a corner outfielder while Matt Kemp doesn't hit 30 home runs while sitting on the bench. Ned Coletti is the dumbest man in sports.

I can't wait to watch Juan Pierre get paid 9 million a year to OPS .690 as a corner outfielder while Matt Kemp doesn't hit 30 home runs while sitting on the bench. Ned Coletti is the dumbest man in sports.

I bet Pierre is moved in the Dodgers' next trade.

All that whining that boston was unbeatable gone to waste.

Not for nothing, but they did win a WS last year with pretty much the same team the've got right now.

I don't think the deal is dead, a la with NYY (supposedly) but the Twins are certainly playing it smart to push and see how much they can get for Santana. It'd be great to have him but I don't think giving up both Lester and Ellsbury, in addition to the money required for a Santana contract, is wise.