Hot Stove League '07-'08

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you ever read UniWatch?

Wow! I'd never heard of that. I thought I was alone on my own little uni-obsessed island. Apparantly not only am I not alone, there's definitely a lot of people who are way more into it than I. I'll have to dig through that site to see if they have the Sports Illustrated article from about 20 years ago or so on the White Sox uni's history. I remember a fold out centerfold timeline showing all the various incarnations over the years.

Also, anyone (bobob?) know what's up with Tampa Bay? I thought they were changing their name, logo, and colors. Whatever happened there?

Y'know what team really disappoints me uni-wise? The White Sox. They used to change up their look about every 3 -5 years. They've had the same boring unis for nearly 20 years now. C'mon guys! If someone would tell Reinsdorf how much $$$ he could make when everyone buys new replicas, he might get with it. (He is still the owner, right?)

Yeah. They looked sharp when they first came out, but could use a reworking.

What are everyone's predictions for the Mitchell Report coming out on Wednesday?

I guess it seems obvious that since the Mets clubhouse guy and Jason Giambi both "chatted" with the former senator, that the list will be heavy on New York-area names with a few from Oakland sprinkled in for good measure. Of course, since the Dodgers just picked him up, Andruw Jones is a lock. Just our luck. Actually, with his recent numbers, it wouldn't surprise me at all. We just got rid of Luis Gonzalez who was probably fairly juiced-up around 2001. Since his big 56 homer year he's had warning track power.

Oh, and thanks Mr. Rain for the uni-related stuff!

Wow! I'd never heard of that. I thought I was alone on my own little uni-obsessed island. Apparantly not only am I not alone, there's definitely a lot of people who are way more into it than I. I'll have to dig through that site to see if they have the Sports Illustrated article from about 20 years ago or so on the White Sox uni's history. I remember a fold out centerfold timeline showing all the various incarnations over the years.

Also, anyone (bobob?) know what's up with Tampa Bay? I thought they were changing their name, logo, and colors. Whatever happened there?

They are now the Tampa Bay Rays. I don't know if the unis have been released, but here's the new logos:

721197a13bf32781bd1710213564079681ab6a98.jpg

They are now the Tampa Bay Rays. I don't know if the unis have been released, but here's the new logos:

721197a13bf32781bd1710213564079681ab6a98.jpg

Wow. They actually look like a major league baseball team now. Not the greatest logos in history, but a gargantuan improvement over the old crap.

I think the new Rays logos are kind of boring.

Not really any argument there, but they do look like a baseball team now. That old green, purple, yellow crap they had before was horrible. The hats look like the Rangers with an extra B thrown on just for fun.

What are everyone's predictions for the Mitchell Report coming out on Wednesday?

I guess it seems obvious that since the Mets clubhouse guy and Jason Giambi both "chatted" with the former senator, that the list will be heavy on New York-area names with a few from Oakland sprinkled in for good measure. Of course, since the Dodgers just picked him up, Andruw Jones is a lock. Just our luck. Actually, with his recent numbers, it wouldn't surprise me at all. We just got rid of Luis Gonzalez who was probably fairly juiced-up around 2001. Since his big 56 homer year he's had warning track power.

Oh, and thanks Mr. Rain for the uni-related stuff!

I'm not sure whether I believe it or not, but Phil Rogers reported that sources indicated that players from at least every team will be named.

I'd be surprised if there weren't players from every team named, come to think of it.

I'm sure the usual suspects will get named: McGwire, Sosa, Palmiero, Giambi, Bonds.

Who are the dark horses? He's my favorite on my favorite team, but judging from his sudden lack of production, Nomar sounds like a likely candidate. Honestly, until they can really clean house I can't help but think that everyone in a major league uniform is involved in some way.

I'm sure there will be a considerable amount of faceless journeymen types, as well as up-and-coming minor league prospects. I wonder how it could affect some of the trades and signings made at the winter meetings?

King Kaufman raised a great question in his column today. Will this report also implicate managers, coaches, executives, etc. who were complicit (or even directly involved) in all of this, or is this just a report that is intended to give owners leverage over the players by basically pushing the whole scandal onto them?

little late to discussion but as a diehard Brewers fan, I'm not excited about the Gagne acquring. $10 million is probably 5-6 more than i would pay for him for a recently injured and lack of production past. Although not sure if you could get Gagne for 1 year $5 million.

i will give Brewers GM Doug Melvin credit though. Within the last week, he has rearranged our bullpen acquiring 4 relievers.

With as much hype as the report has been getting it wouldn't surprise me if it comes out and then dies away with no real impact.

I've got to disagree with this. It's expected to be a huge hit and will hopefully be the catalyst to the beginning of the end of the steroids era. But we'll see.

little late to discussion but as a diehard Brewers fan, I'm not excited about the Gagne acquring. $10 million is probably 5-6 more than i would pay for him for a recently injured and lack of production past. Although not sure if you could get Gagne for 1 year $5 million.

i will give Brewers GM Doug Melvin credit though. Within the last week, he has rearranged our bullpen acquiring 4 relievers.

As a Dodgers fan, I have to tell you that a healthy, dominant Gagne is a sight to behold. He was pretty much the only thing holding us traffic-obsessed Angelenos in our seats after the 7th inning. Having him come out of the bullpen in the ninth with Welcome to the Jungle blasting away and "Game Over" flashing on the scoreboard... nothing quite like it.

As a Dodgers fan, I have to tell you that a healthy, dominant Gagne is a sight to behold. He was pretty much the only thing holding us traffic-obsessed Angelenos in our seats after the 7th inning. Having him come out of the bullpen in the ninth with Welcome to the Jungle blasting away and "Game Over" flashing on the scoreboard... nothing quite like it.

it is too bad that the site of him in the bullpen with boston made us all throw up a little. :(

Kosuke Fukudome, I love that name. I hope he comes to the Cubs.

Looks like the Cubs or San Diego. Honestly, how good is the guy though?

And, the Santana/BOS deal heats up again. Insiders seem to believe a deal will be made:

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index...%3dolney_buster

it is too bad that the site of him in the bullpen with boston made us all throw up a little. :(

Hey, Rickey Henderson was only good for the first 35 years of his MLB career. He wasn't much to crow about those last 15 or so.

Hey, Rickey Henderson was only good for the first 35 years of Rickey Henderson's MLB career. Rickey Henderson wasn't much to crow about those last 15 or so of Rickey Henderson's years.

I didn't realize you were Rickey Henderson.

Fixed, since we need OF's a lot more than you do

How do you figure? Right now the Cubs have ZERO natural outfielders penciled in the start on opening day. Soriano is the only one with a position locked up, and he's a converted infielder.