Hot Stove League '07-'08

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SAN FRANCISCO -- The San Francisco Giants have signed outfielder Aaron Rowand to a free-agent contract, the Giants announced Wednesday afternoon.

Aaron Rowand

Center Field

Philadelphia Phillies

2007 Season Stats GM HR RBI R OBP AVG

161 27 89 105 .374 .309

Rowand, who played last year with Philadelphia, where he hit .309 last season. He signed a five-year deal.

Roward began his career with the Chicago White Sox. His 27 homers, 45 doubles and 89 RBIs were career highs last season.

So the White Sox missed out on:

1. Tori Hunter

2. Miguel Cabrera

3. K. Fukudome

4. A. Rowand

Perhaps Kenny Williams shouldn't have pulled his petty crap again when he reduced his offer to Rowand after the Dodgers signed Andrew Jones. Now what? Is Juan Pierre in the White Sox future?

So the White Sox missed out on:

1. Tori Hunter

2. Miguel Cabrera

3. K. Fukudome

4. A. Rowand

Perhaps Kenny Williams shouldn't have pulled his petty crap again when he reduced his offer to Rowand after the Dodgers signed Andrew Jones. Now what? Is Juan Pierre in the White Sox future?

You really want to spend 18 mil a year on Rowand?

Now what? Is Juan Pierre in the White Sox future?

:w00t Oh please Oh please Oh please Oh please!! Please take him off our hands! I won't even make it a trade, we'll just give him to you.

also

Oh great, the Giants got Rowand. With any luck he won't be on the Mitchell Report and Andruw Jones will and we'll have to put up with their fans talking about cheaters.

You really want to spend 18 mil a year on Rowand?

Absolutely not. I just find it funny how Kenny Williams goes on record as saying that the White Sox would be big players in the free-agent market and would land a "big fish" only to come away empty handed. And then he gets furious when people question his moves. Let's face it, after he lost out on Hunter, he put all of his eggs in the Rowand basket. Now they're pretty much screwed in CF, and still have no lead-off hitter.

If they are going to have a $120 million payroll, you would think that they would finish more than just a couple of games ahead of Kansas City.

Also, it's $12 million, not $18.

Absolutely not. I just find it funny how Kenny Williams goes on record as saying that the White Sox would be big players in the free-agent market and would land a "big fish" only to come away empty handed. And then he gets furious when people question his moves. Let's face it, after he lost out on Hunter, he put all of his eggs in the Rowand basket. Now they're pretty much screwed in CF, and still have no lead-off hitter.

If they are going to have a $120 million payroll, you would think that they would finish more than just a couple of games ahead of Kansas City.

Also, it's $12 million, not $18.

Yeah, I read that it was 5 years, 90 million. 5-60 isn't too bad.

I think the White Sox offer was competitive in terms of yearly salary, but they were only offering 4 years.

5-60 seems at or below market rate when you look at the crazy contract that Hunter got. His batting stats are nearly identitical to Rowand's and he's older. He's a better fielder, but not by that much.

I'm sure there is much gnashing of teeth on the white sox board.

I think the White Sox offer was competitive in terms of yearly salary, but they were only offering 4 years.

Has that been confirmed? I know that their initial offer was for 4 years right around $48 million. But Gonzalez from the Tribune reported that Kenny Williams actually reduced the offer to 3 years (with possibly less money) after Andrew Jones signed his 2-year deal with the Dodgers.

OK....Mitchell report coming out later, pundits are saying big names will be named, potential hall of famers, etc, etc....any predictions or is it just gonna be a bunch of journeymen type players and minor leaugers?

Anyone think any truly shocking names will be named besides the usual ( Bonds, Sosa, etc) suspects?

OK....Mitchell report coming out later, pundits are saying big names will be named, potential hall of famers, etc, etc....any predictions or is it just gonna be a bunch of journeymen type players and minor leaugers?

Anyone think any truly shocking names will be named besides the usual ( Bonds, Sosa, etc) suspects?

The word is that there will be All-Star/ MVP players named that go beyond the players already cited. Supposedly NY teams will be taking some heavy hits, with rumors that no current NYM but current NYY (besides Giambi) being named. Clemens (though not technically a current NYY), Pettitte, and Damon's names have been tossed around.

There are grumblings that with Mitchell's connection to BOS that no current RS players will be fingered. I doubt it, but I won't suppose here who might be included. I highly doubt Schilling, Ortiz, Manny, or any of the big guns.

ESPN is reporting that a Yankees trainer told the Mitchell investigation that Roger Clemmons was using steroids while with Yankees and prior to him joining the team. Apparently this trainer was Clemmons personal trainer.

EDIT: This is being reported on Mike & Mike ESPN2

There are grumblings that with Mitchell's connection to BOS that no current RS players will be fingered. I doubt it, but I won't suppose here who might be included. I highly doubt Schilling, Ortiz, Manny, or any of the big guns.

Either way, it's looney tunes that a Red Sox director is The Man behind this report.

Either way, it's looney tunes that a Red Sox director is The Man behind this report.

I think Mitchell is a very good candidate for the role he was hired to do considering his resume, but MLB should have had him sever ties with the RS first, probably.

Either way, I don't think the report will be biased in favor of the RS or directed towards any other particular team. Mitchell has a pretty nice reputation as it is.

11 current free agents will be named. Now we watch the mad scramble to sign contracts before the morning ends.

Mad scramble? Really? Wouldn't teams want to avoid any of those players like the plague? What if you sign, or worse yet, trade for (ie: Tejada) a big name and then have them suspended for half a season or more?