Hot Stove League '07-'08

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you figure? Right now the Cubs have ZERO natural outfielders penciled in the start on opening day. Soriano is the only one with a position locked up, and he's a converted infielder.

Well looks like you got him.

Our situation: Bradley now with Texas, Cameron still a FA, and it sounds like Giles might be out to start the season, leaving us......Hairston

Well I am hoping for 34 and hitting over .300 and 34 HRS. Why not assume good? We've spent money way worse (Sosa).

FUK-U-DO-ME!!!

Well, 34 was his career high for homers in Japan (granted they only play 144 games, but they also have smaller ballparks), and he did that at the age of 27. I guess it's possible that he could hit that many 4 years from now, but I'd be pretty shocked.

Well, 34 was his career high for homers in Japan (granted they only play 144 games, but they also have smaller ballparks), and he did that at the age of 27. I guess it's possible that he could hit that many 4 years from now, but I'd be pretty shocked.

Anywhere near 30 is fine for me as long as he can consistently hit over .300 and he plays solid defense. Just bat him in front of Derrick Lee, and watch his batting avg shoot up along with Lee's RBI.

Soriano, Fukudome, Lee, Ramirez, etc.... It all players clicking, thats could be DANGEROUS.

Guest David Puddy
Soriano, Fukudome, Lee, Ramirez, etc.... It all players clicking, thats could be DANGEROUS.

and if they're able to trade for brian roberts...

roberts

fukudome

lee

ramirez

soriano

oh man.

and i think the "they overpaid" talk is just premature. why don't you wait and see what he does before you say that? i know you'll seem cooler if you can say "i said they overpaid from the beginning" but if he has a stellar year, and more importantly, if the cubs go somewhere (win it all!!!) then you'll just look ridiculous.

I don't even get the concept of "overpaid" anymore. I mean, who cares? If he is signed by a team with a budget that can replace him if he's a flop, what's the difference? It's not like this is a cash poor franchise that just blew through its self-imposed salary cap.

Well yeah, the market dictates what a guy is worth, I guess. What I should have said is that they're expecting bigger numbers than he's really going to put up, IMO. If he really produces the way they think he is, then yeah, that's what the market dictates right now. But I don't think he's really going to perform at that level, and they could have spent a lot less money on a guy who will put up similar numbers to what his actual output will be.

Well yeah, the market dictates what a guy is worth, I guess. What I should have said is that they're expecting bigger numbers than he's really going to put up, IMO. If he really produces the way they think he is, then yeah, that's what the market dictates right now. But I don't think he's really going to perform at that level, and they could have spent a lot less money on a guy who will put up similar numbers to what his actual output will be.

But they're not expecting him to hit 35 homeruns. They're expecting him to get on base (and probably lead off) and play solidly in right field. Sure, the surgery on his right elbow is a concern, but the type of injury is such that he should come back with no problems.

and if they're able to trade for brian roberts...

roberts

fukudome

lee

ramirez

soriano

oh man.

and i think the "they overpaid" talk is just premature. why don't you wait and see what he does before you say that? i know you'll seem cooler if you can say "i said they overpaid from the beginning" but if he has a stellar year, and more importantly, if the cubs go somewhere (win it all!!!) then you'll just look ridiculous.

Yeah, I know this feeling. It happens so many times, we've had such great looking lineups in the past that seemed so great but never amounted to much. Here we go again. Cant wait for another season. Go Cubs!! One of these years, we will do it.

Yeah, I know this feeling. It happens so many times, we've had such great looking lineups in the past that seemed so great but never amounted to much. Here we go again. Cant wait for another season. Go Cubs!! One of these years, we will do it.

If they land Roberts (heck, even without Roberts), I can't recall a Cubs' team in recent memory having as good a lineup top to bottom as next year's Cubs' team.

If they land Roberts (heck, even without Roberts), I can't recall a Cubs' team in recent memory having as good a lineup top to bottom as next year's Cubs' team.

There was a few.

Wood, Prior, Maddux, Zambrano, Clement sounded really good at the time.

Also remember when Nomar came on board I thought we were gonna rock.

I thought we were talking lineup, and not pitching staff.

both. Overall team.

Our lineup looks great now, but I think we had an awesome looking lineups for awhile now. I remember when we got Nomar, i thought it was more than we needed. Then getting Soriano was another bigtime boost. Things just never work out. Cant forget Soto in counting big bats for Cubs. I like Theriot too.

I do like Pinella, so we'll see how he runs the guys.

Hideki Matsui hit 1 hr per 13.77 ABs in Japan, started younger, and came over to the US younger. He's hit 1 homerun her 24.81 ABs in the US.

Ichiro hit 1 hr per 30.67 ABs in Japan, came over younger, and has hit 1 hr per 71 ABs in the US.

Fukudome hit 1 hr per 20.05 ABs in Japan and will hit ??? homeruns per AB in the US. If his rate changed the same percentage as Matsui then he'll hit 1 per 36.09 ABs, giving him an average 15.24 homeruns per season. If his rate changes as much as Ichiro, it will be even fewer.

Granted, his home park is pretty small.

~30 seems optimistic. They probably overpaid. But hey, it's not your money and it's an upgrade over what they had before, probably. He seems to be a good right-fielder.

In other related baseball news, a Mets groundkeeper laid some new sod in the outfield and, according to rumors, Omar Minaya's secretary was 8 minutes late to work today but there were "train problems."

i laughed. Poor mets. i really don't like those Nathan's hotdogs either, btw.

Nathan's hot dogs are pretty damn bad. At least the ones from the store out here. I've never had one from Coney Island but I'd imagine it's the same dog.

And hey, the Mets are said to be one of three teams who still have a shot at Santana.

Astros pick up Tejada for 3-4 players. I wonder if they should've waited until Friday?

Baltimore should have made the deal 2 years ago when they could have had Oswalt and Ensberg.

Let's hope MacPhail will teach Baltimore to learn from its mistakes and trade Roberts and Bedard (but then again, they're essentially asking for other teams' entire farm systems).

Fukudome was a two-time Central League batting champion, led the league in on-base percentage three times and four times won a Gold Glove for defensive excellence in the outfield. In a 9 year career, batt avg of .305. Sounds pretty good overall.

Well, Ichiro and Matsui both had higher career OBPs in Japan than Fukodome did and their major league OBPs both went down by 10%. If Fukudome's OBP goes down by 10% he'll be at .360 which is good, but not great.

Above average OBP + average power = meh for a corner outfielder. Like I said, though, he's better than whoever else they were going to put out there.