Hot Stove League '07-'08

For the record, I think the New York Yankees are one of the few truly good things in this world.

I'm guessing you're also a big fan of the ebola virus and clubbing baby seals.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the record, I think the New York Yankees are one of the few truly good things in this world.

Ahhhh, boywithorn. You say so many things that I agree with. It is a shame that we must remain mortal enemies over your poor taste in NY baseball teams.

I also like stealing a seat on the subway from elderly people and pregnant women. That's always good fun. You should see the looks on their faces.

pffft. this is NY, bitch. unless you give the old bag a shot to ribs on her way to the ground you're just a pussy.

I also like stealing a seat on the subway from elderly people and pregnant women. That's always good fun. You should see the looks on their faces.

I have to admit ... that is fun.

Just curious, but how much money do the Marlins put back into the organIzation? It's hard to believe that the Marlins are taking in that much money in revenue sharing, TV, radio, etc. and then re-investing it in "soft areas" such as minor league contracts, coaching staff, or management when the projected payroll of the actual MLB for 2008 may not top $10 million.

Nobody knows, because nobody can force an MLB team to open their books. But, from what I understand, the ownership is using these last few years to make up lost money in 03-05. Apparently, over the course of their ownership they are about 9 million up, which has got to be the lowest number in all of baseball.

Apparently the Mets are already trying to pry Dontrelle away from the Tigers.

I heard the opposite. That the Tigers contacted the Mets since the Mets had expressed interest in Willis to Florida. And the Tigers want the Mets to take Pudge.

Luckily for us Mets fans this will meet our goal of acquiring every single f*cking catcher in all of baseball.

Nobody knows, because nobody can force an MLB team to open their books. But, from what I understand, the ownership is using these last few years to make up lost money in 03-05. Apparently, over the course of their ownership they are about 9 million up, which has got to be the lowest number in all of baseball.

Not for nothing, but I posted a list and a link yesterday to a forbes.com article detailing revenue-to-spending percentages of MLB teams from a year or two ago. The Marlins are dead last at 15 %. Take the stats with a grain of salt, but the point is that the team has not re-invested it's revenue into player contracts at a comparable rate as even the middle of the pack. This isn't to say they can not be competitive, but it does show the lack of commitment from ownership. Revenue sharing continues to climb at a healthy rate every year, too. For all teams.

I heard the opposite. That the Tigers contacted the Mets since the Mets had expressed interest in Willis to Florida. And the Tigers want the Mets to take Pudge.

Luckily for us Mets fans this will meet our goal of acquiring every single f*cking catcher in all of baseball.

Interesting. The rumor mills are confusing the story somewhere along the way. I don't think the Tigers would be trying to trade Pudge though. He's obviously way past his prime, but he's got a no trade clause and the fans would go fucking apeshit if they traded him. Plus, there aren't really any other good options at catcher out there right now.

Interesting. The rumor mills are confusing the story somewhere along the way. I don't think the Tigers would be trying to trade Pudge though. He's obviously way past his prime, but he's got a no trade clause and the fans would go fucking apeshit if they traded him. Plus, there aren't really any other good options at catcher out there right now.

Rumors (in NYC at least) are that the Tigers are trying to dump Pudge's salary. And they see Willils as the perfect way to do it.

Rumors (in NYC at least) are that the Tigers are trying to dump Pudge's salary. And they see Willils as the perfect way to do it.

I can't see that. They excercised an option on him earlier in the offseason.

Not for nothing, but I posted a list and a link yesterday to a forbes.com article detailing revenue-to-spending percentages of MLB teams from a year or two ago. The Marlins are dead last at 15 %. Take the stats with a grain of salt, but the point is that the team has not re-invested it's revenue into player contracts at a comparable rate as even the middle of the pack. This isn't to say they can not be competitive, but it does show the lack of commitment from ownership. Revenue sharing continues to climb at a healthy rate every year, too. For all teams.

Eh, I'd still rather be a Marlins fan with a payroll of 10 million than a D-Rays or Pirates fan, for what it's worth.

And hey, for all you people screaming about ballplayers being overpayed, you should have a new favorite team!

And hey, for all you people screaming about ballplayers being overpayed, you should have a new favorite team!

The ball players' collective salaries have paled in comparison to the increases in revenue, though. I think MLB players are payed extremely well, but when compared to the amount of money coming into the game and how much it's increased with revenue sharing, their pay scale has not risen comparatively. It sounds absurd, but it's true.

In winter meeting news: Aaron Boone signs with the Nationals!!!!

I don't think the Tigers would be trying to trade Pudge though. He's obviously way past his prime, but he's got a no trade clause and the fans would go fucking apeshit if they traded him.

Really? Personally, I'm not sure anyone around here would really care. When people talk about the Tigers (at least around me), he's not the one they usually talk about.

I could be wrong ... after all, I'm a White Sox fan adrift in a sea of Tigers supporters...

Granted I don't live there anymore, but I did go to a few games in Detroit this past season, and still have a lot of friends back there. As far as I can tell, only Maggs and maybe Verlander and Granderson are more popular. Those who pay the closest attention realize he's not great anymore, but the more casual fans (which is most of them) fucking love him.

Of course the Mitchell report could change that.

Just to bring a couple of threads together within this thread, I didn't realize that Johan Santana was once on the Marlins.

In 1999, he was traded (with cash) to the Twins for Jared Camp

It was a Rule V draft and trade. They had never intended to keep him.

Would've been nice, though.

They talked about it on Tuesday in connection with the Cabrera/Willis deal, but it's dead:

Dontrelle to the Mets? No, that's not happening. Not anymore.

by Danny Knobler

Wednesday December 05, 2007, 9:40 PM

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- In the end, the Tigers decided they could afford to keep both Miguel Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis. And just about everyone else they have, too.

But at one point during the negotiations for the huge trade with the Florida Marlins, the Tigers were concerned enough about the finances that they phoned the New York Mets and discussed including them in what would have been a three-way deal. The Tigers would have made their same deal with Florida, but then would have traded both Willis and catcher Pudge Rodriguez (with his $13 million salary) to the Mets.

It's not clear what the Mets would have given the Tigers, but had the deal gone through the Tigers likely would have kept Brandon Inge and used him as their catcher.

In any case, it's not important now, because owner Mike Ilitch was willing to let the Tiger payroll jump high enough (possibly as high as $130 million) for the team to keep both Cabrera (who could make as much as $12 million in 2008) and Willis (who could make $8 million), and Rodriguez, too.

So there's no chance of a deal with the Mets now, and the Mets know it.

``There's no turning back now for them,'' a Mets official said tonight. ``If anything was going to be done, it had to be done before (the trade became public). They've energized their fan base now. They can't go back.''