Hot Stove League '07-'08

I think the Marlins did o.k. with Maybin, Miller, and De La Cruz and Willis is certainly no sure thing switching to the American League (though he didn't have a lot of support from the pretty weak infield last year and that helped to kill his season, so there's that). And the Tigers are certainly a hell of a lot better with Cabrera alone. Of course they've depleted their farm talent, but....

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cameron Maybin - Detroit's top prospect, and one of the very best in all of baseball. Probably in the top 3.

Andrew Miller - Detroit's top pitching prospect and easily in the top 10 in pitching prospects in baseball and maybe in the top 5.

Mike Rabello - Detroit's only good catching prospect. Top 10 in Detroit's system

Euglio De La Cruz - Reliever came up last year throwing 100+. Top 10 in Tigers system.

Dallas Trahern - Good young pitcher. 12 & 6 record with a 3.87ERA in 26 starts @ 162.2 innings last year at double A. Top 10 prospect in Detroit's system.

Burke Badenhop - 10 & 6 w/ a 3.13 ERA in 23 starts covering 135.1 innings. Once again top 10 prospect in Detroit's system.

Between those 6 players and the 2 traded for Renteria. That is 8 of the tigers top 10 prospects. The only prospects they have left are Rick Porcello, who is just behind Miller, and Jeff Larish, a left handed first basemen who hit close to 30 home runs at double a this year but also only hit around .240 with a ton of strike outs. Larish is in the bottom portion of the top ten. Hopefully the Tigers can trade either Inge or maybe Marcus Thames for some prospects to try and restock some of the system. The Tigers are hedging bets that some of their lower prospects can step up. From what I can tell the Tigers went from having a top 10 and maybe a top 5 farm system to somewhere in the lower ten in baseball. Which might not be bad this year, but if there are any injuries to the big league club, especially the pitching staff, there isn't going to be anybody available in the minor leagues to step in and help out.

I'm ecstatic. Prospects are great, but the point is to win a championship, and with a move like this the Tigers are in position to win next season. I think both Miller and Maybin will be as good as hyped, but by then who else will by on the team? By the time those guys are coming into their own, Maggs, Pudge, Guillen, Sheff etc. will be either gone or on their last legs. But those guys are still valuable now, and with Cabrera beefing up the order I have to believe that they're truly among the favorites in the American League now. If Maybin and Miller do turn out great, then well, I guess we've missed out on some special players. But if they don't pan out, then we've given up a chance to win NOW for a vague promise of future returns. There's no way that they could not make this deal.

yeah, it's the age old quandry of go for the gold, or possibly be a good team on the fence for a long time and hope you can pull it off along the way. this is how i feel about the a's. they are consistently a pretty good team that could be a lot better if they just went for it one of these years, instead they just keep hedging it every year. then there's the red sox who have decided they want to win and they want to win big. (and of course there are always the exceptions to this, such as the sox farm system producing some great assets last season.)

I mean, even if Maybin reaches his highest potential, he probably still won't be as valuable as Cabrera.

Oh, and by the way, Cabrera is only 24. So if the Tigers hold on to him, there's your answer for who's going to be in the line up a few years from now. He's a guy you build your franchise around if you get the chance.

But those guys are still valuable now, and with Cabrera beefing up the order I have to believe that they're truly among the favorites in the American League now.

You forgot the word "Central" after "American League."

Very threatening batting order for sure, though.

No, I meant the whole league. The Red Sox are still better, but the gap really isn't that big. The Tigers would probably beat them in a 7 game series like 48-49% of the time. They were already among the favorites in the Central (the clear-cut second place team that was about one move away from being better than the division leader). If the Red Sox are slightly better, and they're approximately as good or maybe slightly better than the Yankees and Angels, then how are they not among the favorites in the league?

Just having some fun. It's always interesting to see how the winter meetings pan out (and there'll surely be other key moves) and the Tigers clearly made a big move that should pay off nicely if their core group can stay typically healthy for the season.

The more and more I look at the Tigers/Marlins trade it is growing on me. The thing that I didn't take into consideration when I initially found out who the Tigers were giving up, was the fact that both Willis and Cabrera are under 25. Being is that they are so young it is almost like they are prospects themselves, they are just proven prospects. I just hope that when it comes time for them to be free agents that the Tigers pony up the cash to keep them.

The more and more I look at the Tigers/Marlins trade it is growing on me. The thing that I didn't take into consideration when I initially found out who the Tigers were giving up, was the fact that both Willis and Cabrera are under 25. Being is that they are so young it is almost like they are prospects themselves, they are just proven prospects. I just hope that when it comes time for them to be free agents that the Tigers pony up the cash to keep them.

Thats why I did not understand your hesistance. Without Dontrelle, I think the Tigers come out ahead on this trade. Miguel is one of the top 3 or 4 hitters in all of baseball.

Haha, sorry, I was a little wound up from the excitement of this trade.

That's a huge deal for y'all. Seriously, is there a better line up anywhere? How about defensively up the middle? I know you gave up a lot, but with DD and JL, you're sure to restock wisely. This deal did so much to put you right there!

Would the Marlins had done better by making two separate deals? I don't know...but they're future looks good to me! They had a chance to build a winning franchise in the late 90's and again in '03...will they keep these players once they're eligible?

I'm happy my Cardinals are in the NL Central!!!

That's a huge deal for y'all. Seriously, is there a better line up anywhere? How about defensively up the middle? I know you gave up a lot, but with DD and JL, you're sure to restock wisely. This deal did so much to put you right there!

Would the Marlins had done better by making two separate deals? I don't know...but they're future looks good to me! They had a chance to build a winning franchise in the late 90's and again in '03...will they keep these players once they're eligible?

I'm happy my Cardinals are in the NL Central!!!

Apparently 'Trelle's value was so low the Marlins basically had to force whichever team wanted Miguel to take Dontrelle. It's actually quite a haul because I don't think Cabrera gets them Maybin and Miller, and there's no way Trelle gets them either. So, from that standpoint, it's a win.

Has it occurred to anyone that the Tigers are now the Detroit Marlins?

Gary Sheffield

Miguel Cabrera

Edgar Renteria

Todd Jones

Dontrelle Willis

Pudge Rodriguez

Nate Robertson

Jim Leyland

Don't forget Dave Dombrowski was the team's GM for a long time as well.

Has it occurred to anyone that the Tigers are now the Detroit Marlins?

Gary Sheffield

Miguel Cabrera

Edgar Renteria

Todd Jones

Dontrelle Willis

Pudge Rodriguez

Nate Robertson

Jim Leyland

Perhaps Florida should stop being a AAA team for the rest of the league. Seriously, why doesn't Florida just pull the plug and pack their bags? It's embarrassing.

Perhaps Florida should stop being a AAA team for the rest of the league. Seriously, why doesn't Florida just pull the plug and pack their bags? It's embarrassing.

Yeah, those two World Series championships were a fucking disgrace. :rolleyes

Yeah, those two World Series championships were a fucking disgrace. :rolleyes

So why dismantle the teams after they win? Why is that necessary? If the city and ownership can't support the team, move it. The team is bleeding money and is basically a AAA franchise. The fact that there are exactly ZERO players remaining from the 2003 WS team is ridiculous considering it was only 4 years ago.

I am excited for the season to start now! Though I fear for my favorite Tiger, Inge.

If your fear is that the Tigers no longer have to worry about Inge coming to the plate with men in scoring position when the teams desperately needs a hit only to have him strikeout, I fear as well.

I'm on the fence about the Marlins. On the one hand, I admire their non-textbook way of doing things. It has certainly resulted in more titles for them than for my team. They are clearly doing something very right. But something feels wrong about it -- and I (try to) say that as an impartial observer (since the Mets have clearly benefitted from Marlins fire-sales in the past). I would hate to be a Marlins fan waking up this morning knowing that my team just traded Cabrera because they "had" to.

On the other hand, again, I think Willis is going to be a flop in the AL. And if these prospects turn out to be great, well, then I suppose the Marlins prove me wrong.

Tough day bobbob - maybe you come out ahead down the road, but I know this is not an easy pill to swallow...