Hot Stove League '07-'08

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Yanks want Santana, they are gonna have to give up something good. We are talking about JOHAN SANTANA. There are no untouchables in this deal, no matter what you hear.

The Twins will get something good, but they're not going to get Joba, and certainly not Joba and Cano together. It's not going to happen. The Twins don't have all the leverage here. They're going to be in a position where they have to make a deal or see Santana walk as a free agent and get nothing for him - like Torii Hunter just did. Santana wants a contract like Zito got last year. The Twins are offering 4 years at $20 million per. A deal is going to be necessary, and the Twins might have to settle for a little less than all of the Yankees (or Red Sox) top young talent.

For fantasy I was getting most of my info from the Talented Mr. Roto, but site no longer exists, so next year I'm fucked. :( It wasn't my only source, but this season I rode it to a win in my roto league, and a regular season championship in my head to head league (before tanking in the playoffs, of course).

Otherwise, most of my info comes from SI.com, Yahoo Sports, and baseball-reference.com.

Santana Trade Update - SI.com

This article was posted about 30 minutes ago. Not much new here. I'm glad the Twins are talking about Melky and not Cano, and that they're only looking for one of the three young pitchers. I guess with Hunter gone they need a CF. From the Sox the Twins want Buckholz or Lester and Ellsbury - I guess they don't have any interest in Crisp.

The Twins are trading for Delmon Young from the Devil Rays in a six-player deal. Twins are giving up Matt Garza, Jason Bartlett and Juan Rincon.

Along with Young, the Twins will get Brendan Harris and Jason Pridie. I am fine with trading away Rincon and Bartlett, but I am not sold on letting Garza go - he has a really good arm and tons of potential. I would have rather seen Scott Baker or Boof Bonser go...oh well, Young is going to be a super star and Harris is better than Bartlett.

Strib link

Now if we can just get Boston to give up Ellsbury and Lester The Twins would be set for next 5 years (or until arbitration). Think of how good the outfield could be with Young in left, Ellsbury in center and Cuddyer in right. All we would need is a shortstop or third baseman. and with the money saved from Santana and Hunter we could actually afford a good one! Come on BoSox!!

Santana, Beckett, Dice-K, Buchholz, Schilling

I don't even want Santana that badly - I want the Yankees to develop the young players - but the Yankees can't let Boston get that starting rotation.

Then offer something more than Melky - he sucks. New York would HAVE to give up Hughs. But i hope we get Lester and Ellsbury - screw the Yankees. If Santana goes for Lester and Crisp I will be pissed as will every other Twins fan. Crisp is an average hitter and outfielder.

If Santana goes for Lester and Crisp I will be pissed as will every other Twins fan. Crisp is an average hitter and outfielder.

I'd say that Crisp is a below-average hitter and an above-average fielder. He was dynamite last year in center field. He actually holds value if he stays with BOS. Splitting time with Ellsbury (who may or may not be ready for a full-time call-up) as a 4th OF would be a bonus for BOS.

There are other teams interested in him (Crisp) due to the high prices of other FA (Rowand, A. Jones, etc.) CFs. It's possible Crisp goes elsewhere (not MN) and the Twins still push for Ellsbury/Lester/? for Santana. Or, that they pursue Crisp but quash any trade for Santana w/ BOS that does not include Ellsbury.

Then offer something more than Melky - he sucks. New York would HAVE to give up Hughs. But i hope we get Lester and Ellsbury - screw the Yankees.

No kidding. I'm not expecting a Melky for Santana deal. There is obviously going to be pitchers and probably prospects involved.

Whether he sucks or not, the Twins are the ones pushing for Melky. Notice the commonality of Crisp, Ellsbury, and Melky. They're centerfielders. This fills a need. Sure, Cano is a much better player, but he's an infielder. Also, he's now a proven player who is going to soon demand a lot of money. Minnesota ownership doesn't want him because they would have to pay him, and they're too cheap to do so.

Screw the Twins. :P