The Office was OK. The fact that they didn't want to royally mess up Jim-Pam's wedding severely limited what sort of funny they could include...but for what they could, it performed fine. The episode was more of a "touching"/"affecting" episode with all the cute moments like Jim cutting his tie to match Pam's veil, etc. etc., you know what I mean. It wasn't laugh out loud funny, just a bunch of "oh, hah" moments, which knocked it down a lot.

Also, I was lost at first with the whole ferry thing too. But in a way it makes sense to cut in and out of it because stylistically it would have sort of killed why Pam was more relaxed at the church after flipping out a bit ago if they strictly showed the ferry and then strictly showed the church. What use is the church scene and dance if the boat already happens? So you put them both in at the same time and cut back and forth. Perhaps it just wasn't done particularly smoothly, but really that's the only conceivable way for them to show that without losing momentum. But the whole dancing down the aisle thing was pretty fucking stupid. It was stupid in the Youtube video and it was in the episode. But that's my opinion on that sort of thing.

Of course, this negative opinion could all stem from the fact that Arrested Development is now my King Almighty.

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got married in Niagara Falls for the same reasons Jim cited, "it's really kitchy now, which is a lot of fun"

I love that he said that! No one ever gets it.

There were a few really cute moments, the mental pictures, and the beginning of Jim's speech at the Rehearsal.

The show is going downhill, but didn't everyone want to see Jim & Pam end up together?

My husband gets all shifty & anxious whenever Michael is being, well, Michael.

He covered his eyes too. & he had never seen that youtube video, so I had to show him.

I lovelovelove Community!

I still laugh when I think of last week's episode when Abed's dad said "dreams are for sleeping!"

I love the little thing at the end with Abed & Troy. The Spanish rap was hilarious!

• 3 weeks later...

"Don't you mean...Koi Story?"

Not a bad episode last night.

I thought it was odd that it was made to look like a Halloween episode in the promos. Last week was a bit dark with Pam screaming and what not.

What is up with Male Prima Donna? Did I miss something?

Webisode. I have liked some of the ones they did in the past, but I thought that one was run of the mill.

Plus, I think it is a chance to give Mindy her own deal. I believe she is suppose to have her own show on NBC at some point.

I thought it was odd that it was made to look like a Halloween episode in the promos. Last week was a bit dark with Pam screaming and what not.

Ah, I never saw any of the promos. Traditionally Office Halloween episodes don't really rely on everyone's costumes as the core of the episode, which is always nice.

• 2 weeks later...

No comments on the most recent episode?

I know I'm becoming a broken record about this show, but yes, I hung in for one more episode, and it did nothing but confirm my feeling that I'm done with this show. This was a bad one.

The competition between Dwight and Andy just wasn't all that funny, and then there was the whole business with Michael and Pam's mom.

For me, part of the strength of the original concept of the show, as it was carried out on the original British series, and in the first few seasons of the American version, was that no matter how much of an idiot David Brent/Michael Scott was, there was always something underneath that kept you from hating him. Some innate goodness or innocence or whatever. In this last episode, they finally gave up on that idea completely. Now Michael's just a total fucking prick.

As I've expressed previously, I've felt that this show has been in serious decline since sometime last season. There have been some decent moments this year, but the writers are no longer playing to their strengths, and trying too hard to break out of the confines of the office environment. It's not working. Even Jim and Pam are starting to wear thin, and the peripheral characters have now receded so completely into the background that they barely appear in most episodes. When's the last time we had a great Creed moment? What, if anything, do we get from Stanley these days, or Angela, or Meredith? These are good characters, but they've been virtually written out of the show as the plotlines have focused more narrowly on Michael, Jim, Pam, and to a lesser extent, Dwight (and sometimes Andy).

But the clincher was last week. Michael is now officially an unsympathetic character. There's no coming back from that. And I'm done with the show, at long last.

It's liberating in a way. That's another half hour of my Thursday evening that I will no longer devote to television. Melissa now feels the same way, as of that latest episode.

Man, you really have to enroll in a twelve-step or something to wean yourself off the show. Your addiction is painful to witness. I really like the show still, and thought last week's was damn good. As for Michael's supposed total-prickness: if he'd broken up with Pam's mom in that moment by telling the truth (she's too old), I'd agree with you. But he lied, saying he didn't want to upset Pam anymore, so that shows some kindness, in my book.

For me, part of the strength of the original concept of the show, as it was carried out on the original British series, and in the first few seasons of the American version, was that no matter how much of an idiot David Brent/Michael Scott was, there was always something underneath that kept you from hating him. Some innate goodness or innocence or whatever. In this last episode, they finally gave up on that idea completely. Now Michael's just a total fucking prick.

I liked the episode a lot, but I like the awkward ones. I especially liked the nice touch when the waitress filled up the water glasses in the middle of the conversation.

As far as Michael being completely unsympathetic, I disagree. I thought he had a completely legitimate reason for breaking up with Pam's mom. He just picked a bad time and place to tell her. He's like an impatient kid who was upset and needed to get something off his chest, regardless of anyone else's feelings. It seemed in-character for me, and it certainly didn't make me hate him.

I could understand your point if he had been stringing Pam's mom along, and then maliciously dumped her, but that wasn't the case at all.

Guest Speed Racer

I should preface my entrance to this thread by saying I watched Seasons 1 - 5 on streaming Netflix all during the second half of October. :lol

I could understand your point if he had been stringing Pam's mom along, and then maliciously dumped her, but that wasn't the case at all.

That was my impression too, that the dumping wasn't really all that malicious. If we know two things about Michael, it's that he wants kids and he's not very detail-oriented. So he finds himself in a situation where he's dating this older woman and the pressures of the birthday (one year older! one year older!) remind him that he needs to have kids pretty soon, and that she ain't it.

I really hope he ends up with Holly.

Feh. I'm glad people still want to watch it, but it's been losing me for a long time, and this was just the final nail in the coffin. The Jim-Pam wedding was probably the shark-jumping moment anyway, so it'll fizzle out after another season or two on its own.

Now if NBC would just put Community and 30 Rock back-to-back, my Thursday evenings would be greatly simplified.

But the clincher was last week. Michael is now officially an unsympathetic character. There's no coming back from that. And I'm done with the show, at long last.

For the most part I've never found Michael all that sympathetic. He has glimpses of kindness here and there, but in general he is petty, selfish and not too bright. And that's okay with me. I find that my liking or relating to a main character often doesn't have any bearing on my overall enjoyment of a show. I loved Seinfeld and none of those characters were sympathetic, ever. The Office does have characters that "feel" real and relatable, so at least there is a balance to offset things.

Now if NBC would just put Community and 30 Rock back-to-back, my Thursday evenings would be greatly simplified.

I love those shows, probably even more than the Office.

No comments on the most recent episode?

As I've expressed previously, I've felt that this show has been in serious decline since sometime last season. There have been some decent moments this year, but the writers are no longer playing to their strengths, and trying too hard to break out of the confines of the office environment. It's not working. Even Jim and Pam are starting to wear thin, and the peripheral characters have now receded so completely into the background that they barely appear in most episodes. When's the last time we had a great Creed moment? What, if anything, do we get from Stanley these days, or Angela, or Meredith? These are good characters, but they've been virtually written out of the show as the plotlines have focused more narrowly on Michael, Jim, Pam, and to a lesser extent, Dwight (and sometimes Andy).

This is right on! The Michael character has been awful since last season. He's not as funny. He's become a caricature, something like every character on the Simpsons has been since like the 12th season or so. There was complexity to him. More than just a niceness, he was also smart when he had to be, he made brilliant decisions sometimes. There were many moments where you felt like he was a real person. You don't get that anymore. Now it's just playing off how stupid he is. Exactly like what happened to Homer Simpson...

The other characters have lost their appeal, too. Seasons 2 and 3 were prime, Season 4 very good. I think that they reached their high point in the Season 4 series finale - there was Jan's pregnancy, Jim trying to propose to Pam but Andy proposing to Angela instead, Dwight being heartbroken, Dwight and Angela having sex at the end. Brilliant! The characters were great, it was funny, the story was good. Now - once again, like the Simpsons! - there are good lines and scenes, but it's a sad shell of its former self. I couldn't watch after the first few episodes of last season, thankfully, and I'm glad my premonition has been reinforced here.

That reminds me - I caught a great episode of The Simpsons last night, apparently from this past season (Lisa has a best friend and they become too detached from reality).

I seriously had no idea a Simpsons episode could still be that good. I haven't watched new episodes in years.

That said, the movie sucked.

She's a different Pam's mom than was featured in Season 2, right? The one who visits the office on Sexual Harrassment Day?

yep. that actress was a tall red-head.

and linda purl was all over 70's television. teen actress, etc. she was in a movie o'the week with sean cassidy back in the day.

also: the office still has me rolling with laughter. the halloween intro on "koi pond" was a great bit for darryl. and "book face" had me breaking into laughter at intervals the next day at work.

"that's not really the trend for vampires right now" :lol

Last night was not a great episode. crypt, if this was the first new one since your official abandonment of the show, you chose wisely.

But more importantly, is Dunder-Mifflin closing down?

And - has anyone else felt a steep decline in the quality of 30 Rock this season?

Didn't watch last night. Saw the last minute or so before 30 Rock started, and wasn't sorry that I'd missed the rest of the episode.

I still love 30 Rock, but so far this season hasn't been up to its usual standard.

Community is still holding my attention.