• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this were true, and I were WV, I would run as far away as possible. I would change the phone numbers, lock all of the doors, close all of the blinds and pretend like nobodies home if I were WV and Saban came a calling. Could you imagine the P.R. shit storm it wold create?

If UM is on his list specifically because he prefers the wide open style of Rodriguez's offense, I don't see how OSU fits into his plans at all. Just my opinion. I'm not holding my breath for this guy in Columbus.

The thing with Pryor is that he wantds to play B-Ball too. I know that Tressell and Matta have already gotten together and told him that he could do it at OSU. Whether Beilen would help his fellow Mountaineer out and tell R.R. that Pryor could do the same for UM is another story.

If this were true, and I were WV, I would run as far away as possible. I would change the phone numbers, lock all of the doors, close all of the blinds and pretend like nobodies home if I were WV and Saban came a calling. Could you imagine the P.R. shit storm it wold create?

Although personally, I could give 2 shits about football - people do go nuts over this stuff. We're lucky only one car was burned after the Pitt game. They have already taken the signs down in Rod's hometown that announced he was from there. I actually went to school with him - sort of - I was in the 7th grade when he was a senior. There is also talk that he was screwing around on his wife - and that was one of the reasons he choose to leave town.

Right now Terry Bowden is essentially begging for the job, and Doc Holliday is on their list as well, I intern at the Charleston newspaper in the sports department during my breaks, and we didn't get a confirmation on the Saban rumors yet. My issue with this hire would be is Saban really capable of staying in a place long enough to deal with any kind of adversity. He is a WV native, but I'd be more comfortable with Jim Grobe (current head coach of Wake Forest who is from Huntington, WV) or Turner Gill (he was essentially the Pat White of the eighties at Nebraska and runs a similar style offense at Buffalo). It's a shame that one of the most successful eras in WVU history ended so poorly, Rod appartently saught Michigan out, didn't tell anyone on the staff until the deal was already done, and of course watching them choke in the Pitt game (I was there) was extremely painful. That said I wish him well, but it's going to be a long time before he's welcome back in Morgantown again.

--Mike

I just hate spread offenses, because they basically say "Hey, let's not play defense!" and "Hey, let's see if we can score 75 points in a game!"

Basically defense becomes secondary to offense if you run the spread.

You hate spread offenses because you are an OSU fan and you can't beat teams that run the spread. Florida, Texas, Illinois and others have recently all beaten you with the spread o and/or a fast QB. Michigan will become a real problem for you soon, especially if they ink that recruit that Rodriguez is trying to get to come in and run his offense (which brings up another interesting point....what happens to Ryan Mallet?).

Rodriguez's hire means that old-school ball will die...the Big Ten was one of the last conferences to basically specialize in power-back ball

Big Ten specializes in a style in college called "slow and out of date." You should be happy with the Rodriguez hire because eventually it may bring the Big Ten up to speed with the rest of the country. Adapt and maybe you can compete with the SEC.

(which brings up another interesting point....what happens to Ryan Mallet

That is really the million dollar question. If Pryor comes to UM then I think Mallet will transfer immediately. If Rodriguez can't lure Pryor to Ann Arbor then I think Mallet will stay because he is basically the starter by default. The other 2 scholarship QB's on UM's roster are David Cone, and Steven Threet and neither are any more mobile than Mallet. From what I understand from somebody who saw the news conference, Rodriguez said that if he needed to he could adapt the offense to what ever players he has. So even though he may not be a pure fit for the run option spread, Mallet might be ok.

You hate spread offenses because you are an OSU fan and you can't beat teams that run the spread. Florida, Texas, Illinois and others have recently all beaten you with the spread o and/or a fast QB. Michigan will become a real problem for you soon, especially if they ink that recruit that Rodriguez is trying to get to come in and run his offense (which brings up another interesting point....what happens to Ryan Mallet?).

Big Ten specializes in a style in college called "slow and out of date." You should be happy with the Rodriguez hire because eventually it may bring the Big Ten up to speed with the rest of the country. Adapt and maybe you can compete with the SEC.

I won't argue with you that it would be beneficial to the Big Ten in general to update their style of play, but I think you're overstating the case a bit. I'm not sure where the OSU-rage comes from, but of the 3 games you mentioned, Florida is the only team that schooled them in any meaningful sort of way.(Illinois they sleepwalked through and that Texas game a few years back--well, VY beat them on a nifty late-game TD drive after being effectively contained for 90% of the game. Shit happens.) Admittedly, I still have no good answer for what the hell happened in that Florida game, but if you're using the result of one game to justify your worldview--well, good luck with that. Not that you'd be alone in doing that. But the same sportswriters who have tirelessly written about SEC superiority all season are the same ones who said last year that OSU couldn't lose. In other words, they're morons. But at least if they sound confident in what they're saying, people believe them.

OSU's recruiting classes aren't significantly slower than anyone else's. They probably do favor size over speed at some positions, but realistically, the difference between the athletes at the elite programs is fairly minimal. Coaching is the key, and its true that it would help the Big Ten greatly to face more diverse offenses regularly so its not a shock to the system when they do--and, for that reason, bringing RR to the league will ultimately be a good thing.

It'll be interesting to see how this NC game plays out. If they learned nothing from last year and they get schooled again, then I'll be the first one grabbing the torch and pitchfork because there's no excuse. Honestly, I'm not sure this team is good enough to win it, but there is no reason they shouldn't be competitive.

BTW, aren't you an Ohio U fan or something? :unsure

Yep, I'm an OU fan (but also a big fan of college football in general, unlike many OSU fans who feel the world of college football revolves around them) and it will be sweet sitting in the Shoe next season watching us take you down.

Thanks for spelling out our school's name on your field every week. We feel honored.

Also,

I'm not sure where anybody got the idea that Ohio State was entitled to unilaterally designate itself as "The" Ohio State University. There are lots of fine state universities in Ohio. If any of them deserve a "The," it would be Ohio University (founded in 1804), which was turning out scholars when the future location of Ohio State (founded 1870) still was a cornfield. Or maybe it was soybeans.

There are plenty of other universities that do the same thing though. USC introduces itself as THE University of Southern California, even though their are plenty of other fine universities around the area. Like Cal Tech. But not UCLA.

I think it sounds less awkward/conceited if university is the first word. Like The University of Michigan or the University of Illinois. oh well.

I'm fine with universities saying The, but it is how Ohio State fans you the word "the." They don't just say the, they say THEEEEEEE

So you're saying their plan to get under OU students'/fans' skin has worked, insofar as it bugs the shit out of you?

I went to UVA, and when I was there, it was pretty much SOP to cut the "of Virginia" part off your rear window decal and just display the "THE UNIVERSITY" part. I'm sure that pissed off my friends who went to other VA state schools, but that's the point, right?

Aren't they technically "commonwealth" schools?

Yeah, the whole "commonwealth" thing gets a little tricky. Virginia Tech's full name is "Virginia Polytechnical Institute and State University," so they're not that consistent on that whole thing. We always just referred to them as state schools. UVA has a (well-earned) reputation for snobbery, regardless.

A booster has pulled the plug on a $12M donation at WVU.

http://postgazette.com/pg/07352/842541-144.stm

Huh.

To me, the most interesting part of that article is this:

Some of the items discussed were part of the contract extension signed Aug. 24, more than eight months after the details were first hammered out last December. Mr. Rodriguez's representatives maintain that university administrators agreed to other requests that haven't been met, though they decline to publicly specify them. In short, it means Mr. Rodriguez might contest the $4 million he owes WVU to buy out his contract, by claiming the university acted in bad faith or fraudulently.

:brow

All of this is starting to fill in the gaps for me as to why Rodriguez would leave the program that he built up to be one of the most successful in the nation (and which is also his alma mater) to come to Ann Arbor.

Thanks for spelling out our school's name on your field every week. We feel honored.

Also,

I'm not sure where anybody got the idea that Ohio State was entitled to unilaterally designate itself as "The" Ohio State University. There are lots of fine state universities in Ohio. If any of them deserve a "The," it would be Ohio University (founded in 1804), which was turning out scholars when the future location of Ohio State (founded 1870) still was a cornfield. Or maybe it was soybeans.

Up until 1997, the chant around the stadium used to be "S-O-Y-B-E-A-N-S", but was shortened to "O-H-I-O" because it was confusing Andy Katzenmoyer.

True story. I just read it on Wikipedia.

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) -- An academic cheating scandal could leave Florida State without many top players when the Seminoles go against Kentucky in the Music City Bowl on Dec. 31.

Thank goodness we have another list of naughty athletes to look forward to! Yay, sports corruption! :usa